Tennis Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, the BBC does it again. On their website there's a report on BMW Open. Do they even follow tennis???????????? Read this:

"Top seed Roger Federer started the tournament with a fairly comfortable 6-4 6-3 win over Croatia's Zeljko Krajan.

He now meets Harel Levy of Israel, who crushed Dane Kenneth Carlsen 6-3 6-1.

Fourth-seed Raemon Sluiter, competing in Germany for the first time since reaching the Australian Open final in January, ousted veteran Italian Renzo Furlan 7-5 6-4.

He will take on Nikolay Davydenko in the second round after the Russian secured a 7-5 6-1 win over American Cecil Mamiit."

·
Registered
13,640 Posts
Raemon sluiter :eek: finalist at the AO :eek:

Well the BBC also said that Justine wasn't playing good and that Hantuchova had a great season so far :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
OK, so they mistakenly transposed the names of three players. Does that make them complete tennis ignorami? Trust me on this, they are starting to follow players other than "our Tim" and Andre the Incorrigible. Hell, yesterday BBC Radio 5 did something so shocking it jolted me out of my chair, they mentioned the first round of the tournament without any British names and instead discussed Kafelnikov, Nieminen and Srichaphan. Now that is quite a step forward for them.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hendouble said:
OK, so they mistakenly transposed the names of three players. Does that make them complete tennis ignorami? Trust me on this, they are starting to follow players other than "our Tim" and Andre the Incorrigible. Hell, yesterday BBC Radio 5 did something so shocking it jolted me out of my chair, they mentioned the first round of the tournament without any British names and instead discussed Kafelnikov, Nieminen and Srichaphan. Now that is quite a step forward for them.
I'm a huge Sue Barker fan though. ;) Can't wait to see her all day on my telly in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Ah yes, the perma-tan, the trouser suits, the blonde bob haircut, the incessantly cheery demeanour... what's not to love? Seriously though, she makes Wimbledon. Her, and Boris Becker making everyone collapse with laughter on the highlights show with his droll, softly-voiced humour.

·
Premium Member
181,834 Posts
Hendouble said:
I was shocked too, don't like their new reporter Jonathon Overend

Iain Carter was much better (he left to take BBC Golf job so guess what the retired Tony Adamson does (he goes and commentates on tennis for Sky :eek: )
BBC Radio should put tennis on 5live Sports Extra for RG as they only do hourly reports :mad: aside from weekends

Can't wait for Wimby though :)

·
psychotic banana
3,022 Posts
I had mixed those two guys up in the past as well. :eek: I'll look over this "small" mistake made by them this time. ;)

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
So that's where Tony Adamson came from. Sheesh, that man was terrible at Indian Wells, he had about as much interest in tennis as I have affection for the X-Man, and to top it off he kept dropping in references to his old job by mentioning the players' golf skills. "So, Kafelnikov hits that winner down the line... I gather he's got a single-figure handicap, is that right?" And so on...

Tennis on the radio is strange, if only to hear the contrasting styles needed for those two Slams. I can see why the BBC prefer to cover Wimbledon, not just because it's their home event but because it's so much easier on the voice.

Last year I heard radio commentary from Canas and Hewitt at RG and Krajicek and Philippoussis at Wimby; admittedly those are two extreme examples, but the first had a typical commentary for one point that went: "Hewitt serves to Canas backhand, Canas drags the return cross-court, Hewitt tries to go down the line but Canas is there, hits back to the Hewitt forehand," etc.

Sample point from the Wimbledon match: "Krajicek serves... and it's another ace!" This went on in the same fashion for several hours.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Hmm so they not only got mixed up with Sluiter and Schüttler but when I checked last Roger's playing Sluiter next and not Levy

any other mistakes?? (besides overlooking that Sluiter is playing Roger and not Davydenko but I put that in the along with beeing mixed up with Schüttler as he's playing Davydenko)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts