Tennis Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ONDRASKOVA d. FOKINA 57 62 75

MIHALACHE / SYSSOEVA d. CROOK / SUN 46 64 64 :sad:

Results are a bit late because each final was very long (over 2 hours each :eek: ).

Tight matches. Better luck next time Helen and Tian Tian.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Yes, indeed both matches were very long. As in yesterday's singles matches, again today's singles final was full of incident.
Galina Fokina looked very restless right from the start. She changed her racket at both 1-2 up and 3-3 in the first set. I thought she looked a little ill. It was no surprise then that she complained of a bad headache (and later on, slightly blurry vision, I think) at 4-5 up.
However, she somehow managed to win the first set despite this. At this point, Ondraskova decided to take a time-out to get some new strapping for her leg.
I thought this break might help Galina recover too. Unfortunately it didn't, she played a very poor second set and her mind was clearly concerned with her headache more than her tennis.
It was brave of Fokina to somehow drag the final set out before losing 7-5. I was very disappointed for Galina today, as I think her performance would have been much better (possibly a winning one) if she had been fully fit.
However congratulations to Zuzana on a very good performance, like yesterday her speed around the court was superb.

About the doubles, I feel both partnerships can be very pleased with their performances today. Considering they are both pretty new combinations, the level of teamwork & understanding was outstanding on both sides.
Today, I thought the pairs were fairly equally matched, but Crook and Sun (especially Sun) were quicker to tire, while Syssoeva and Mihalache were showing few signs of fatigue even at the end of three long sets

·
Premium Member
181,845 Posts
oh Galya :( so close :(
what a bad time to get a headache

Well done Ekaterina/Magda in doubles :)

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your report Bluepastures. Always good to have some information from someone who watched the matches.

And yes, Tian Tian should be working on her physical condition a little bit.

BTW, happy birthday to you (will be tomorrow your time, but it is "today" local time here) :) .

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
Grrrrr! Galina, you were so close!!!!!:sad:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts