Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would be interested to hear opinions on whether people prefered the old format of the cup or the new.
For me the old week long event held more appeal and interest.
What do others think?
Regards
IAIN

·
Registered
54,550 Posts
Old format absolutely...I even think that would be the perfect format nowadays. Yeah, probably 32 teams it would be a bit too much today but a 16 team format in just one week would be perfect and the only way to get all the top players involved. To win the whole Cup a player only would have to play 4 single matches over a week. That's a commitment every player could fulfill (even the Williamses :help:)

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Top 12 teams (by ranking at end of previous year or by FedERATION Cup performance from previous year) straight into final. Maybe four other qualifying tournies: Americas, 2xEurope, 1xAsia Pacific played a few months earlier.

That could work

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Old format absolutely...I even think that would be the perfect format nowadays. Yeah, probably 32 teams it would be a bit too much today but a 16 team format in just one week would be perfect and the only way to get all the top players involved. To win the whole Cup a player only would have to play 4 single matches over a week. That's a commitment every player could fulfill (even the Williamses :help:)
I agree and I am so glad that I am not the only one who regrets the new format. Yes I feel that a reversal to the 16 nation format would be the ideal. And to be honest the top players definintely commited more back then to the old format. Now it can involve a lot more time and it is not surprising that so many players do not compete. And I also feel that there were so many great weeks when the old format was on the go.I feel it is less important now.

·
Registered
54,550 Posts
Old format best by a long way - went to Nottingham in '92, have never seen a Fed Cup match live since
That was 1991, Spain's first victory ever :p

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Old format best by a long way - went to Nottingham in '92, have never seen a Fed Cup match live since
Yes, that was a good week. Although I am still so dissapointed that Monique Javer couldnt see of Rafaella Reggi.

·
Registered
54,550 Posts
And it was a fabulous final against the United States!!!
I know...back then Arantxa & Conchita were still under 20, their doubles skills were still not very good and had to play the deciding doubles in the final for Spain's first Cup in history. They lost easily the first set against the powerful Americans but then they started playing out of their mind and won so easily...on hard! :hearts: :worship:

·
Registered
54,550 Posts
Spain victories in Fed Cup :hearts:

Nottingham 1991

Frankfurt 1993

Frankfurt 1994

Valencia 1995

Geneve 1998

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know...back then Arantxa & Conchita were still under 20, their doubles skills were still not very good and had to play the deciding doubles in the final for Spain's first Cup in history. They lost easily the first set against the powerful Americans but then they started playing out of their mind and won so easily...on hard! :hearts: :worship:
Yes there was a growing sense of disbelief as the match wound on. The first set Aranxta and Conchita were all over the place and mainly seemed to stay at the back allowing the United States to attack. However they were great as the match wore on and I remember Gigi Fernandez really lost it towards the end.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And with Durie losing in straight sets to Cecchini, that was the end of GB. I remember Clare Wood played in the first round and wondering at the time why Sara Gomer wasn't picked as she was around the venue - got her autograph, etc.
I think that the LTA were overly loyal to Monique Javer for switching to the UK. I agree, on that surface I think that Sara Gomer would have been the better choice, and it is a shame that Jo Durie lost a good many game points v Cecchini. Javer played well though and should have won.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Old format completely. We can't seem to get our best American women to play on a regular basis the way the new format is set up.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Old format completely. We can't seem to get our best American women to play on a regular basis the way the new format is set up.
Yes I concur. You know apart from 1984,85 and 88 there was always a top American woman playing the Federation Cup under its old format. Now it does seem a real struggle to get them to play. I think the cup is a bit of a non event compared to the Davis Cup. It had much more prestige with the old format.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I also agree that the original format as much better. Really, it's sad to see how much the Fed Cup has declined. Even the name - a shortened version - seemed like a dumb idea.

There have been a number of format changes over the years. None has worked.

Looking at this week's semis, it's hard to believe a US team of Alexa Glatch and Bethanie Mattek is playing against Iveta Benesova and Petra Kvitova. Sure gone are the glory days of a US-Czech match of Chris and Martina playing Hana and Helena. But still the Fed Cup really is a B level even. Even the Russians have their B squad, and they are losing to an inspired Italian team.
The scheduling for the Fed Cup has always been bad. I wish they would figure out a way to have it be a one week event again. And like Spiceboy said, have 16 teams be in the main draw (they could hold a qualifying event for other teams at some time before). While a one week event with roving locations would take away the home match atmosphere I don't think the current Fed Cup format is drawing huge numbers of fans to matches. And it's obviously not attracting the top players to regularly commit. If it were a one week event (and not the week after a major) then it would be a lot easier for the players to commit and for fans and media to follow and understand, and get more excited about.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts