Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
20,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to Tarpischev (Russian captain) US is the front runner to host the final round. They are offering $2m. Russia can afford only $0.5m. He didn't say anything about France or Belgium.

Countries have time until Aug 13th to submit their applications.

·
Registered
16,898 Posts
The East Coast draws better crowds for women's tennis than the West Coast does. The crowds in Los Angeles for last years prestigious year end championships were terrible! :mad: As are the crowds for this years Los Angeles WTA tournament. I would love to see the New York area or Florida get the Fed Cup Final. :D

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
tenn_ace said:
US is the front runner to host the final round. They are offering $2m.
:eek: tenn_ace, what does that mean? Do they offer $2m to the guys who vote? Otherwise I don`t understand how the money can be a factor here.

I`d prefer the tie to be played in Belgium, cause I want to go there. :) France and Russia are also acceptable. But to US I can`t go. :(

·
Registered
17,738 Posts
If I want to see this then I would want Belgium or France!

·
Registered
20,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fresh2flash said:
:eek: tenn_ace, what does that mean? Do they offer $2m to the guys who vote? Otherwise I don`t understand how the money can be a factor here.

I`d prefer the tie to be played in Belgium, cause I want to go there. :) France and Russia are also acceptable. But to US I can`t go. :(

Fresh, apparently the country that will host the final 4, has to pay to ITA (I think) for the rights... everybody is trying to make money.

my understading from the article is that France is not even trying to get the final 4... so your best bet is Beligium, fresh

·
Registered
16,898 Posts
Fresh, why can't you come to America if the Fed Cup Final is played here?

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
tenn_ace said:
Fresh, apparently the country that will host the final 4, has to pay to ITA (I think) for the rights...
Sounds strange to me. It`s not an auction, is it? If there are certain payments to the ITA, they should be strictly designated. Not that the country that pays the most gets the final. In that case it will be held in the States all the time.

Cat, I`d love to go. Maybe I will. But to go to Belgium or even to Russia means to me just to buy tickets and in few hours I`m there. To go to USA I have to arrange many formalities. I hate it.

·
Registered
16,898 Posts
I understand Fresh. Travelling to America from Russia can't be easy. I think the Fed Cup Finals will be played in Belgium. But I wish they were using the Davis Cup format. I don't like having 4 countries playing the finals in 1 location like they do in Fed Cup. I wish the Fed Cup Semi's was after the U.S. Open and then play the finals after the year end WTA championships.

·
Registered
20,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know that it's almost 2 months away, but if there no serious injuries, the singles are pretty much locked: Elena and Nastya...

doubles is a lot more complicated... we have 4 doubles players ranked high:

Sveta K. #8
Lena L. #11
Lena D. #12
Nadia #13

who should coaches pick?

I'd go with Nadia and Lena L. They are having a good tournament in Leipzig, might play Moscow again, probably did play before. Sveta K. is still a raw doubles player with little experience. Lena D. should be saved to play singles.

·
Premium Member
172,292 Posts
the thing is by picking Lena L means only 3 top single players.
still time to go, if Lena and Nadya continue on then it good be good. Lena will go back to Cara soon anyway.

#1 Lena D
#2 Nastya
#3 Nadya
#4 pick. is the tough one
its gonna be on carpet not the best surface for Vera or Sveta.

doubles is the final match so its not like davis cup right in middle where its more crucial.

·
Registered
122,495 Posts
I would wait until the last minute to pick. Because of the chance of an injury.
Right now, it looks like Nastya and Alyona have separated from the pack.
But things can change quickly. Look at the French Open.
I would want Lena L. there. She's a Wimbledon champion. And a veteran of pressure situations.

·
Adrenaline junkie
24,878 Posts
We haven't seen any of Vera indoors yet. I do think that we will have Top 4 singles players selected.
Unless some miracle happens. Like Lina K. winning Moscow.

Elena D. and Nadya are decent doubles players, so I would not really worry about doubles selection. No other country will be using a permanent doubles combination, so we won't be in a worse posiion than others.

So, at this point I'd go with Alyona, Nastya, Nadya and Vera.

·
Registered
122,495 Posts
The last Fed Cup team was picked solely by the rankings at that time.
Remember Lena B. was chosen after losing 3 & 1 to Masha at Wimbledon.
So this team is set, if that's still the selection method.
Vera Z. will not get caught from behind. She has too few points to defend.

·
Registered
20,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
French seem to be in a good form: Amelie is always up there. I was hoping that she'd be alone, but if Mary agrees to play FedCup, it's going to be tough for us to def. them in the semi

·
Registered
122,495 Posts
The goal should be to win the Fed Cup, not to reward players for playing a full year.
Since some players seem to be playing at less than their best form after a long, hard season, a healthy top level player who is mentally fresh like Elena Bovina should be considered for the team.

·
Adrenaline junkie
24,878 Posts
goldenlox said:
The goal should be to win the Fed Cup, not to reward players for playing a full year.
Since some players seem to be playing at less than their best form after a long, hard season, a healthy top level player who is mentally fresh like Elena Bovina should be considered for the team.
I still believe that Tarpishev should stick with the traditional method of selection. By rankings. And that would be one of three:

-two top singles players and two top doubles players in case of those two doubles players make a permanent team and at least one of them can be considered as a backup singles player

or

-three top singles players and top doubles player if that top doubles player is not one of three top singles players

or

- four top singles players

At least the fixed method of selection would exclude selection as a potential source of conflicts, and that every player would know what they have to do to be selected.

1 - 20 of 196 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.