Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No thread?

What a horrorshow from Coco for the most part, could barely hold her serve in the first two sets without having to face break pts, and was lucky not to be down a double break in the second set which would have probably been curtains. She broke for 5-4 in second set but couldn't serve out the set and squandered 3 SPs before converting for 8-6 in tiebreak. Somehow she found a way to fight back. Hogenkamp didn't have any match pts in the end but it well could have been hers. Not good considering Hogenkamp lost 6-0 6-1 to Carol Zhao in ITF the week prior...

Reactions: Veesus Christ

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
Horror show. Every time I took a look at the match Vandeweghe was making bizarre errors and horrible approaches to the net.

CoCo walking off to change at the end of set 2 despite Hogenkamp's ongoing challenge was a particular highlight. Not sure if she was aware of it or not; her ace was obviously good.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Wish Rinaldi would put Serena in place of CoCo tomorrow.
That was so difficult to watch.
Props to CoCo for all she did for the USA in FC 2017 but today...
Damn...
But a win is a win...

·
Registered
16,449 Posts
Serena is in no shape for playing Singles. Have you seen the pictures?
Let Coco battle it out. Serena is scheduled to play Doubles with Davis if needed. I think that's about right.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
What about Lauren Davis? Too risky? Serena does not appear to be match fit, I watched the videos of her practice sessions. Understandably she still has a little pregnancy weight to drop and looked a little sluggish. I’d be surprised if she actually showed up for Indian Wells or Miami for that matter. But who knows it’s a Serena so nothing would surprise me. She could play singles tomorrow and win.

·
Registered
20,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What about Lauren Davis? Too risky? Serena does not appear to be match fit, I watched the videos of her practice sessions. Understandably she still has a little pregnancy weight to drop and looked a little sluggish. I’d be surprised if she actually showed up for Indian Wells or Miami for that matter. But who knows it’s a Serena so nothing would surprise me. She could play singles tomorrow and win.
If Davis plays like she did against Halep she should be good for them :lol:

Reactions: FERLKE

·
Registered
587 Posts
Let Coco battle it out. Serena is scheduled to play Doubles with Davis if needed. I think that's about right.
Can someone please tell Serena about the Ketogenic (Atkins) diet and intermittent fasting. There is really no excuse for her to still be holding onto all that weight.

And I agree, let Coco battle her way into form.

·
Registered
20,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don’t they only need one more point?

Who would play first tomorrow?
I would like to see Davis have a chance
yeah they do need one more. I guess Venus to close, they may still play one dead rubber given they are there. Who knows who plays though, might use Serena for 'form' finding. But Davis would be nice too, she deserves a chance I reckon.

·
Registered
20,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't they play the Doubles next?
Serena/Davis vs Kerkhove/Schurrs
I know on ATP Davis Cup doubles is always the third. But in Fed Cup they tend to play it last so that it is often not required to win. Recall Coco and Sloane played their singles for the final and then played deciding fifth rubber as a doubles match.

·
Registered
16,449 Posts
I know on ATP Davis Cup doubles is always the third. But in Fed Cup they tend to play it last so that it is often not required to win. Recall Coco and Sloane played their singles for the final and then played deciding fifth rubber as a doubles match.
I think when a team goes up 2-0, they schedule the Doubles next.. right?

·
Registered
20,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I think when a team goes up 2-0, they schedule the Doubles next.. right?
no the order of play for davis cup and fed cup are different.

davis cup breaks down into 3 days. day 1: 2 single rubbers, day 2: 1 double rubber, day 3: 2 single rubbers. in that order

fed cup breaks down into 2 days. day 1: 2 single rubbers, day 2: 2 single rubbers follows by 1 double rubber. in that order.

·
Registered
52,923 Posts
^^ and if a team goes 3*0 , they don't play the 4th singles rubber, but do play the last ( dead ) doubles rubber

·
Registered
20,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
had to watch the highlights to see what was up with Coco. It's clear to me it is largely mental. She was really uncommitted in the first two sets, Hogenkamp was doing a lot of pushing and Coco was making errors. If she had committed to what she wanted to do with her shot with little hesitation in footwork and timing, she would more often than not win the pt. When she does contact the ball early and to the ball rather than waiting for it to come to her, it is good to watch. The other thing is she has to be careful not to overrely on the arms to do the work, when her legs and torso are not syncing with those arms she tends to misfire and might be a case as to why her returns can be poor sometimes.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts

I dont understand why people act as thought she is physically fit and just lacking in match fitness. She is a long way off. 6 months even. Historically she has never gotten a hold of her footwork when she has been heavier.

Obviously she will continue to work on it and improve but she has a lot to work on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts