Tennis Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had last week several upsets in the Fed Cup ties, the most notable are, ordered by the ranking difference:

Code:
288	Danilovic(303)	Sevastova(15)	   6-2 6-4
172	Raina(253)	Putintseva(81)	   6-3 1-6 6-4
158	Kostyuk(184)	Gavrilova(26)	   7-6 6-3
154	Buyukakcay(160)	Ostapenko(6)	   6-2 3-6 6-3	
102	Lottner(148)	Sasnovich(46)	   7-5 6-4
 94	Chiesa(178)	Arruabarrena(82)   6-4 2-6 7-6
 48	Nara(102)	Diyas(54)	   7-5 6-4
Now the question is: are this results biased by the special atmosphere of Fed Cup, and team support, or do they show the actual relative values of the players, stripped from the formality and the constraints of the WTA tournaments admission?

Perhaps a separate consideration should be done for Danilovic and Kostyuk, whose ranking, due to the very young age, does not reflects at all their capability, but what for the other players, all aged at least 21, so with a significant history?

In simpler words, are really Lottner a better player of Sasnovich, Chiesa of Arruabarrena and Nara of Diyas, considering players with a similar age, with a brighter future, or this will be just a random result not to be confirmed in the future, as for example the win of Hogenkamp over Kuzntesova in Moscow two years ago?

·
Registered
20,783 Posts
There are too many factors to work with.

Some of it is form, surface confidence, team pressure vs feeling team spirit/crowd to motivate players.
At the same time one has to remember the WTA is quite volatile, and upsets frequently occur on the regular WTA tour.
See AO, Woz nearly lost to Fett, Garbine and Aga mowed down by Hsieh, Goerges by Cornet etc.
For older players I would be more inclined to say they had a very good day while the higher ranked opponent didn't play as well as they could have (see Ostapenko as an example). On occasion they can play at a high level.
For younger players you can say there is upside, but cautiously so. The main leverage for them is the fact that despite little experience they can pull off big wins when it matters, but they also have nothing to lose and therefore no pressure to perform. If the upsets are following a spate of good form, one could say that they could keep climbing. I think Kostyuk is certainly in that category, has had a good AUS outing all up.

Lottner upset case could be Sasnovich being unwell, as she did not contest the reverse singles rubber.

·
Registered
15,098 Posts
Like when Ostapenko and Stephens won a GS and Halep none?

Sent from my SM-N9500 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
41,967 Posts
Why should they be more real. They just add to overall values.

I think some players may do better at Fed Cup for enjoying the team spirit. Probably the case of Mladenovic. Her parents come from team sports (hand ball, volley ball). She must have grown in this atmosphere. She enjoys the support of the crowd and often calls for it.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
The most shocking of them all is missing from the list:

Nadiya Kichenok (UNRANKED, CHR #100) def. Gavrilova (#26) 4-6 6-2 6-3

·
Registered
8,377 Posts

·
Registered
28,266 Posts
Why should they be more real. They just add to overall values.

I think some players may do better at Fed Cup for enjoying the team spirit. Probably the case of Mladenovic. Her parents come from team sports (hand ball, volley ball). She must have grown in this atmosphere. She enjoys the support of the crowd and often calls for it.
Mladenovic always step up playing at home. Even when she was younger and at worse level she got nice wins in Paris-Bercy and Na Li in Roland Garros. She was very competitive against Serena also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts