Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

Just back from a very nervwrecking and exciting week end in Limoges, and i'm still sorting out and editing all the pictures that i've taken, but here are some from Saturday against Cibulkova.

Obviously the lighting was terrible, as it mostly is inside, so sorry for the noise level, but i had to push up my ISO.

it does take more than skills ;)

I'll be back thru the week for pictures of the match against Daniela, the double and the best part: celebration time :cool:

·
Registered
52,357 Posts
Wow. Love your pics. :yeah:

·
My Hero... Always
1,674 Posts
Thanks so much :)

Brilliant Pics :worship:

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Great pics. :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Thank you! :yeah:

·
French Gorgeousness
2,852 Posts
Hello guys,

Just back from a very nervwrecking and exciting week end in Limoges, and i'm still sorting out and editing all the pictures that i've taken, but here are some from Saturday against Cibulkova.

Obviously the lighting was terrible, as it mostly is inside, so sorry for the noise level, but i had to push up my ISO.

GREAT job, Marilyne - you must have really steady hands, or you used a monopod! I know how hard it is to take decent shots in that kind of lighting! What ISO did you use, just out of interest?

LOL... AM: "Yeah, keep smiling - you're going down, kiddo."

Nice!

it does take more than skills ;)

I *love* that you got that slogan in the background - even the French commentators were remarking on it (on the live stream) so it was very apropos. Hmmm. Take note, Alizé, and listen to big sis. ;)

Really, great job! :worship:

I'll be back thru the week for pictures of the match against Daniela, the double and the best part: celebration time :cool:
Looking forward to more, and thank you!

(Of course, now I want to know what camera / lens you used, etc. etc. LOL, we should have a little sub-forum just for the photography enthusiasts among us, so we can all share tips and tricks. And worship Corinne. ;):p:lol:)

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
wwo, stunning pics, thankyou...

Sapph that's a great idea bout a photgraphy forum...I'm always looking for tips given that experimenting with my new Canon 450D is one of my new thangs

·
French Gorgeousness
2,852 Posts
wwo, stunning pics, thankyou...

Sapph that's a great idea bout a photgraphy forum...I'm always looking for tips given that experimenting with my new Canon 450D is one of my new thangs
Nice! I'm a Nikon shooter, so I had to go look it up - looks like it's roughly equivalent to a Nikon D80 or D90. You can have a loooot of fun with that - and get some damn good shots at Eastbourne!! Course you need to get a decent lens or two... it never stops. :rolleyes: LOL.

If you're still playing with it and are scared of the manual, go look here (I used this site when I got my first DSLR, they do good reviews / explanations):

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08012403canoneos450d.asp

It's multi-page, so keep on clicking Next until you get the info you want. Enjoy!

(And here's my first tip for you: put it in fully Manual mode, and just shoot everything in sight - best way to learn. Using film, that was expensive, but with digital it costs nothing to delete the crap - after you've learned what works and what doesn't! ;) Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more.)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have an Olympus E-510 DSLR, which is not a popular choice against nikon and canon, but i think there lenses are really good even on the lower end, and the features packed in the body are great, even if it means being stuck to the 4/3 format, which i'm fine with. I took my new lens to limoges, the 70-300 (f4-5,6) which is an 140-600 equivalent in 35mm film. I've shot most of the pics in 800 and 1600ISO, 1600 is a bit too much on my frame size and get really noisy/grainy.

I shoot in Speed mode (S) and try to find the right balance between the speed/ISO/focal range. To ge a steady shot of a player in action, it's hard to go under 1/160s, 1/200 ou 1/250 should work out but try no to move too much. Here it was indoors, so I compensate on +5EV in order to still get enough light on the pics. Whatever lens you use, try not to go to the end of the range, where it mostly is less efficient light wise, it's better to use in the middle range and resize it after, IMO.

I personnaly prefer to set my white balance manualy after a few try, than to leave it on manual where the result can vary too much (specially with pink background and clay color... it's hard on the eye! LOL)If i need to, I use the gimp to edit the pics.

Just for the idea, i shoot over 500pics and there about 30 that i like (it's hard to have an original point of view after a while) and unlike the official photographer, i'm not allowed to move around the stadium. (BTW i saw corinne "at work", she really know what she is doing, and i would have loved to be able to shoot with her equipement just for a try!)

I'll be back tonight normally with more pics :)

·
French Gorgeousness
2,852 Posts
I have an Olympus E-510 DSLR, which is not a popular choice against nikon and canon, but i think there lenses are really good even on the lower end, and the features packed in the body are great, even if it means being stuck to the 4/3 format, which i'm fine with. I took my new lens to limoges, the 70-300 (f4-5,6) which is an 140-600 equivalent in 35mm film. I've shot most of the pics in 800 and 1600ISO, 1600 is a bit too much on my frame size and get really noisy/grainy.

Hey, there have always been other names besides Canon & Nikon, and I've certainly heard good things about Olympus (and they're official sponsors of the US Open Series, besides). I'm definitely impressed with the results! I figured you had to be using at least ISO 800, and yeah, I don't really like going any higher than that either. It's possible to get some decent pics that way, but not really if there's too much action in the shot.

I shoot in Speed mode (S) and try to find the right balance between the speed/ISO/focal range. To ge a steady shot of a player in action, it's hard to go under 1/160s, 1/200 ou 1/250 should work out but try no to move too much. Here it was indoors, so I compensate on +5EV in order to still get enough light on the pics. Whatever lens you use, try not to go to the end of the range, where it mostly is less efficient light wise, it's better to use in the middle range and resize it after, IMO.

Wow - you were using that low a shutter speed?! I take back what I said about steady hands - you're a human tripod!!! :worship:

Completely agree about the zoom range on the lens - the quality falls off if you go all the way out (which is normal for pretty much all lenses) especially for action shots. I've been pretty pleased with mine when I go for "still" shots all the way out at 300mm, but for action - nah.

I personnaly prefer to set my white balance manualy after a few try, than to leave it on manual where the result can vary too much (specially with pink background and clay color... it's hard on the eye! LOL)If i need to, I use the gimp to edit the pics.

:worship: Your geek credentials are now firmly established. :worship:

I tend to leave WB on auto and if I need to do any color correction, I'll do it after the fact - but that's just personal preference. It's better to not have to do the post-processing, but I'd rather not have too many settings to tweak when I'm shooting and just concentrate on the subject. Which, let's face it, is well worth focusing on - pun intended. ;)
:lol:

Just for the idea, i shoot over 500pics and there about 30 that i like (it's hard to have an original point of view after a while) and unlike the official photographer, i'm not allowed to move around the stadium. (BTW i saw corinne "at work", she really know what she is doing, and i would have loved to be able to shoot with her equipement just for a try!)

:eek::hearts: I'm so jealous!!! I'd love to see her at work / see what gear & settings she uses / basically, just be her apprentice for a day. (Wait, that means I do nothing but carry around a ton of gear... uhhh... well, you know what I mean. :lol:)

Yeah, the one thing I'm really envious of is the kind of access those official media types get. For a start, they're SO much closer to the action, and that makes all the difference. I'd be interested to see what kind of shots I could come up with if I were able to shoot from the same place(s)!

I do the same - shoot waaaaaay too many pics and then drown in them afterwards (for some reason, tennis is like that). I never did make it through last year's IW pics, but I'm doing much better with this year's. :p

I'll be back tonight normally with more pics :)
Thanks again, Marilyne, and looking forward to more! :bounce:

·
Registered
7,511 Posts
thank you for the pictures:yeah:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here are the pictures for Sunday's match against Hantuchova:

Yes she did it!!! :bounce:

Yeap i'm a major geek ;) For Corinne, she's using Nikon from what i saw, huge gear, so most likely a constant f.point opening lens like the 70-200 or the 200-400 or a single focal lens like the 400 f2.8... hard to tell, i don't know much about Nikon... But it's all expensive as hell, that i know! :eek:

·
French Gorgeousness
2,852 Posts
Here are the pictures for Sunday's match against Hantuchova:

Wow... Dani IS tall.

I do love it when she's glistening with sweat! And she thinks they all look not-so-good on court...

Those muscles!

Wow - was it especially hot in there, or just the intensity of the situation?

*** THUD *** No words...
(That skirt was noticeably tighter than usual!)

Is there anyone else so damn stylish?

Yes she did it!!! :bounce:
LMAO, look at them... Nathalie's like "Way to go, Momo, buddy, you did it again!"
Scud's going "Superb, Amé! That's the way to do it! Speaking of... how'd you like to team up with Nath...?!"
Bald guy's like "YES!! I might just get to hoist Amélie onto my shoulder and carry her around the court!! :bounce:"
And Alizé... "YES OHH YES!!!! Thank you, thank god, thank all that's holy, you're my hero and I'm going to cry all over again!!"

(And we can't really see Alexia in the back, but she's going "Yeah yeah, I KNOW she's great - where were all you bozos for the past two years, huh?!")
LOL, great stuff. I hope the French media are making a big fuss - in a GOOD way.

Yeap i'm a major geek ;) For Corinne, she's using Nikon from what i saw, huge gear, so most likely a constant f.point opening lens like the 70-200 or the 200-400 or a single focal lens like the 400 f2.8... hard to tell, i don't know much about Nikon... But it's all expensive as hell, that i know! :eek:
Huh - didn't know she was a Nikon gal. "So Corinne, can I just borrow your 300mm 2.8 for a few shots? Uhhh... and I promise I've been lifting weights for the past three months to be able to hold it steady!!!" :lol: Jeez, just putting a lens like that on the camera must be a major operation - no wonder they carry multiple cameras, it's easier than trying to change lenses on location!

We're not even going to talk about how expensive it is... :eek::ignore::scared::help:

Thank you, Marilyne!! :worship:

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
More stunning pics. :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Thanks again, Marilyne. :yeah:

@ Sapph: I like your photo commentaries! :lol:

·
My Hero... Always
1,674 Posts
Your pictures are really amazing.. thank you so so much for sharing!

·
Proud Momosapien ♥
47,722 Posts
Yeah, they are really great. Thanks :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts