Tennis Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gisela:yeah:
Gisela led 5:4, she served and had a MP... Melanie saved and won this game, but then she lost serve:hug:

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Melanie was good-ish. Lots to learn, but lots to be happy about.

Dulko has quite good court sense, and is difficult to beat if you give her forehand time.

·
Dubai Love
52,429 Posts
Melanie showed great fight and played well, just too inconsistent. But Gisela served amazing in the last game, an ace on MP and 2 unreturnables:yeah:

MJF should keep Mel in against Betina, Mel should win, she's gotten her feet wet in the Fed Cup experience, while Julie has never played a Fed Cup match before.

·
Registered
32,935 Posts
:sad: Melanie was so impressive until she lost eight straight points at 5-all :confused::help::tape:

·
Premium Member
181,942 Posts
Gise ;) :yeah: :D

·
Registered
11,042 Posts
Melanie was good-ish. Lots to learn, but lots to be happy about.

Dulko has quite good court sense, and is difficult to beat if you give her forehand time.
Agreed. Melanie showed some great tennis in parts of the match but also showed she has a lot to work on. Decent match though. Dulko played well for most of it.

I think Mel will be able to beat Jozami.

Good luck tomorrow USA girls!!! :bounce:

·
Registered
114,714 Posts
Dulko has only won 1 of 4 matches with Craybas.
US probably favorite to win this tie

·
it's just me against the music.
27,316 Posts
The USA is in a good position tomorrow.

I expect Julie to replace Oudin in the official lineup. Jill has a great H2H with Gisela. Plus, we have the world #1 in doubles.

U-S-A!

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Well done Gise :bounce: :bounce:

·
Premium Member
20,563 Posts
Melanie SUCKS!

And I thought she was amazing... but then I saw her play.

Julie or CoCo or McHale should replace her.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I was not too impressed with Melanie. Maybe she was nervous...but it doesn't appear to me she is going to be any sort of "impact" player. :sad: Almost wish I hadn't watched.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
I was not too impressed with Melanie. Maybe she was nervous...but it doesn't appear to me she is going to be any sort of "impact" player. :sad: Almost wish I hadn't watched.
I agree, i've seen her play before and she wasn't very impressive but that was WTT and junior tennis.However, she didn't impress me at all today.To her credit, she did show a lot of fighting spirit and is only 17, so she can work on her serve and other areas of her game.. maybe she'll surprise us sometime down the line....

·
Registered
11,042 Posts
You guys, she's only 17!! To have gotten as high as she has in the rankings at her age has to count for something. I'm not saying that in a couple years she's going to be where Azarenka, Cornet, Cibulkova, and Wozniacki are, but she has potential, that's for sure! Does she have a lot to work on, of course. Who doesn't at that age?

I think she showed one very important thing that the previous poster pointed out. She has fighting spirit. I think that's huge for a young player. I hope she keeps that up, because it can only help her.

Another thing that might have contributed to some poor play was nerves. Dulko is a veteran player with so much more experience. This was Mel's first ever singles match in Fed Cup. Fed Cup is generally acknowledged to be high pressure because you aren't playing for yourself, but for your team and country. It's a lot of pressure for a young player.

I truly believe Mel is a talented player, just give her some time. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts