Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, well, well... First congratulations to Slovakia! They deserve the victory, but... Spain was a bit unlucky to be honest.
I have seen both singles matches today and this is what I would say if I had to comment about:

Conchita vs. Daniela
A GREAT match, with Conchita really deserving to win the first set more easily than she did! What an incredible thriller! Both played very well, and after the first set I thought Daniela would be really down, moreover she seemed physically down! (she got a warning for waiting too long between points). In the middle of the 2nd set, Conchita began to get massages but was holding serves, saving setpoints. In the third, Daniela served incredibly to lead 3-0 and there I thought it was over. As you know, Conchita hold and at 3-5 against her, managed to break Daniela before leading 40-30 on her own serve to level the set at 5-5! Unfortunately, three points later, Daniela raised her hands... But definitely, I was impressed by the way Conchita played. Even if I am a great fan of Arantxa, I have no problem to admit it!

Arantxa vs. Janette
What a strange match... So short in time compared to the first one! But I think the Spanish team was really down after losing the third point that way... Since Magüi was not eligible to play according to Fed Cup rules, it was Arantxa's turn to play. Obviously, she was still bothered by her leg since she was often misplaced before hitting the ball. However, I have to say that Janette played INCREDIBLY WELL! Almost no mistakes, baseline shots and first serves down to the lines! I don't think that Vivi could have done better, really. It was A GOOD CHOICE from the Captain Margets to offer Arantxa the opportunity to play her 10th Fed Cup final. Arantxa is still a great champion, and all the crowd, excepted this stupid old spectator who dared say critics loud (I don't know what he said exactly, but he made Arantxa cry
:fiery:) was agree with that!

Spain is a great team, Conchita and Arantxa are incredible players and I love them for their accomplishments, in this competition and elsewhere!
Next time will be better! They have two homes ties to play next year (assuming they will beat Australia in the first round, they are likely to play against France in Spain!) and they sure improve their records again!

VAMOS CHICAS!
VAMOS ARANTXA!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The symbol was originally this one:
:fiery:
and then a parenthesis to end the sentence!
Sorry for the mistake!

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
8,263 Posts
thanks so much for the support.

That old man deserve to get killed by the crowd :fiery:

anyway, I hope Fed cup goes back to the good old Davis Cup format, this is crap, put too much strain onto a player I mean playing a possible 6 matche sin 5 days is crazy especially for big occasion like this

·
Registered
11,533 Posts
Congrast Slovakia :D
Congrats Spain :D

Thanks for the report ;)

·
Banned
19,528 Posts
i like the report, but No, it was not a good choice to let Arantxa play. And it was also a bit slefish by Arantxa.

When you are not healthy, you cant play. Watching Arantxa today in the court showed she was not even at a 25 % of the capacity, and they knew it.

Magüi & Vivi are also part of that team and they deserve some credit. You just can't play a match when you almost get double bageled having two great players watching you in the crowd who could have done way better.

Im sad about Arantxa's lose, but i dont share the decision and i dont understand Arantxa and the captain.

Sometimes you have to think in the team and not just in yourself.

·
Registered
53,986 Posts
I agree 100% with Anabel

·
Registered
44 Posts
How can you say it was selfish of arantxa, that is just WRONG!!

You don't know what was going on behind the scenes, for all we know the spanish captain put alot of pressure on ASV, almost forcing her to play. That is kind of rude to say it was selfish of her when you don't know the whole story!!!!

·
Banned
19,528 Posts
im sorry to tell you that in this case, im sure it was more an Arantxa's decision more than a captain decision.

Only Arantxa knew how her injury was, so if she knows she cant compete, she mustn't do it. Im sure Arantxa wanted to play the final, she was all the year playing the Fed Cup like to miss now the important thing, but it's selfish, cause Vivi and Magüi were there.. and could play healthy.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anabel, and others, I do think that Arantxa is clever enough to say whether she is able to play or not. Honestly, I don't think that any other player could have beaten Husarova, given the HUGE psychologic advantage resulting from Daniela's win. With Conchita winning, things would have been a lot different... But as I already said, Conchita deserves all the compliments for her great performance, she certainly could not have done better.
Don't forget that Spain was in the Finals because Arantxa was unbeaten this year in Fed Cup before her match against Wartusch... It was logical for her to compete in the final.

·
Tart with a Heart
15,747 Posts
Anabel and co; I totally disagree. The fact is that without Conchita and arantxa, the Spanish have no team. Its been like that for over ten years, and its still like that now. I was sitting next to that old bastard (uf- I've been on tv all night!), and thankfully the crowd seemed to share my opinion; that Arantxa has done more for womens tennis (and FedCup) than anyone in Spanish sport history, and for her to play was no sacrifice. Are you seriously trying to tell me that Serna or Ruano would have won more than five games?!

·
Good Luck Caro in 2019!
181,648 Posts
I don't think Magüi or Vivi could have beat Husarova, but so far I remember did she only win 2 TWO games. But we can forget Magui as she was not able to play in todays game, as she played the second singles match Yesterday, but Vivi could not have done worse in 1st set then losing 06.

But what anabel says and what many else (NONE ASV fans) think, ASV should never had played, because she had an injury, it don't matter if she has won 100 Fed Cup matches in the past.

·
Diosa Contable
2,945 Posts
If she played, she was fit to play.

If she lost, it is because Husarova played better.

Who do any of you think you are to know better?

Arantxa and Conchita are the Spanish Fed Cup team, without BOTH of them, there is no team, there are no titles, there is no final. The one year when Arantxa and Conchita didn't play, does anyone remember us losing to Italy in 1999? and yes, Magüi was there, and yes, Vivi was there, and no, the italians were NOWHERE near as good as they are today.

The audacity of some of you to know better is amazing. Sitting behind your computers dictating the rights and wrongs of the World? ha.

·
Good Luck Caro in 2019!
181,648 Posts
Hi my good friend B! ;)

I just read/saw on TV. ""Husarova beat an injured ASV"" every none asv fan, think she had an injury...and anabel saw her play, and said she played at 25% not 110% (as ASV fans userly say she does.) ;)

How was she able to beat Schett one day and later lose 0 & 2 ?

·
Diosa Contable
2,945 Posts
Hi J :p - I see what you mean, but I have never been one to make excuses for losses, nor accept them. If Arantxa played she was fit to play and if she lost, Husarova out played her and was better than her, I won't take anything from Husarova's great result or belittle her by saying that her opponent was hurt.

Arantxa is a professional. Her doctor is a professional. The Spanish Fed Cup captain (much as I dislike him) is a professional. Those people are responsible and get paid loads of money because they are GOOD at what they do. Arantxa is a legend, she'd much rather have sat out the match and won the Fed Cup than played. She has been known not to play when she was injured, remember Germany QF 1998?

So no, I am not going to seat here and say I know better than Arantxa.

Well done to Husarova and well fought Arantxa, I am sure she gave her 120% today. Husarova was just too good.

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
FED CUP Review- Finals day!!

I watched the entire match- and boy was a freakin exhausted.
Stayed up into the wee hours of the night to get this "live".

Conchita Vs Daniela.

What a incredible match. The quality floated from incredible to
down right weird at times. It was the longest match I seen
from the WTA tour all year long. It was epic- classic? Well..
the quality was on, and off- but that's too be expected in
these 3 hours and 29 minutes battles.

On paper it looked to be an easy new hot player that's ranked
number 8 versus an over the hill clay courter. NO WAY JOSE!!
It was a battle, of style, will, guts, determination, and stress.
In the opening set- Conchita had Daniela running around chasing
all her spin master shots. Conchita didn't even have to move-
she just control Daniela all over the court like a puppet master.
I think Daniela didn't know how to play against that topsy turvy
everything but the kitched sink style of Conchita's.

Why was the first set so long? The rallies, were really, really long.
There were very few EU's in this match. It was the closest thing
to a Leyton Hewitt type ATP men's tour match. The first serve
percentage from both players were up in the 80 % ratio. It
was all about one bad shot in the end ofcross court, net play, bassline
rallies, drop shots rallies. The stuff that Conchita came up with
such as pick up ball on her toes low volley was insane. David Mercer
and Simon Reed were doing the commentary; and they kept on saying
how did SHE DO THAT?. LoL.

Every once in a while Daniela would remember her GAME, and
just hit winners ASAP- those were her winners usually. BUT!
but, Conchita would always turn it back to duece- with some of
her clever shot making. This went on and on in the first set.
Daniela look soooo fustrated.

Set number two- Daniela just decided to avoid any cross court
rallies against Conchita because she just can't seem to handle
it. The longer the rallies went- Conchita came on top. Daniela
just charged her way thru set number 2. It was serve, charge-
winner. Serve, net charge, volley winner. She really cleaned
up her strategy, and didn't give Conchita too much passing shots.
Still it was a long 2nd set because no ball went passed Conchita.
She got to most of them. Daniela tends to serve in the same
area all the time; and Conchita pretty much could read the serves.
Daniela started to serve more in the middle, and that's pretty
much how she got the lead in the second and third set.

There were time violations. What's with Daniela, and her sort of
spacing out- turning her back to the server thing?

There were also some very, very bad calls that got Daniela,
and Conchita really wound up. lol.

There were injury time out for Conchita ,and
Daniela. It looked like a thigh strain for Conchita, and some
shoulder problems for Daniela. I thought it was weird that
Daniela wasn't serving tons of heavy aces. The serve was
slower yesterday. The shoulder is a problem- doesn't seem

Set number 3. Conchita looked really, tired. Daniela
obviously picked up her game, and just continued from set
number 2. I have to say, that this is what resulted in
the outcome. Bravo!! Brave, brave ladies.

ASV vs Janette

ASV forced herself to do it. FYI- Tarabini, Marta Marerro etc..
were all in Spain team jackets, and I think everyone just felt
that after Conchita's epic battle- that there could only be one
person to play despite her injury. The crowd were so gloomy,
and the Slovakians were the only ones happy. After Daniela
won her match- they seem to assume that the trophy was theirs
for the taking. I don't think ASV was being selfish- i think everyone
on the team felt that it was worth the gamble. Magui is out of
shape. She was huffing , and puffing in her match the previous
day.

The match- it was all Janette running, and charging net. ASV
looked real out of it. The tension was getting ugly, and that's
when some moron blurted out for the Canary Island's hometown
girl- Magui Serna. I think ASV felt insulted, and just angry for
herself to let Janette make her feel so old.

All in all a great passionate FED CUP. You just don't see these
kinds of matches nor these kinds of emotions when TEAM USA
win.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
The match between Conchita and Daniela was amazing. Great variety from both of them. I had the impression that Daniela was more 1-dimensional before this match, but she can do almost everything with the ball.

Conchita played great, if she can keep this level she will come back to the top 20 for sure. Her game was a pleasure to watch, so much touch and so clever.

As for Arantxa, well, she was obviously injured and didn't even run for a lot of balls. Janette played very well, I expected her to be more nervous, but she must have settled down when she saw that Arantxa couldn't beat her yesterday.

Magüi played pretty badly on Saturday, and she's VERY out of shape. Maybe Marta or Virginia could have been a better choice, but we don't know what happened and how the decision was taken.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Well, obviously I'm not Spanish, and even more obviously I'm a fan of Arantxa. I haven't seen the match on tv, I just followed the scores on the website and at wtaworld. So I have to be careful in giving my opinion to this.

1. Magui was not allowed to play according to the rules of fedcup. I don't know when it was decided that Arantxa should play the second day, but when they put her name on the schedule it was clear that Magui could not play as replacement. (Why did they put Arantxa on the schedule so early? They could have let Magui on and replace her by Arantxa if she would be able to play???)

2. Who made the decision that Arantxa should play? The coach, the doctor or Arantxa? Well, propably all three. There was a training session and after that they decided that she should play. They made the decision early (see 1.) So blame them all, not only one of them...

3. Would Vivi have had a chance against Jeanette? You really think so? From what I read, Jeanette played very good. She is a power player and at times, when she makes just few mistakes a very good player. This is not often the case, but from what I've read it was yesterday. So I don't think that Vivi would have had a chance, Magui could not play and was Marta on the players list? I have to check once more at the Fedcup website, but I think that there were only the four of them. And Marta indoors is not too much impressive either. So the team chose to take the risk to let an injured Arantxa play, because that was the only possiblity to get that point. Yes that would have meant a miracle, but Arantxa has realized miracles before (unlike Vivi (o.k. a win at Wimbledon against Hingis is close to a miracle, but that was not such an occasion as the Fedcup final, and unlike Magui and unlike Marta). I'm sure that Arantxa believed that her play would be the only chance they had, but the risk was too much and because of her injury she played badly. Knowing her I think that she was the unluckiest person in the tennis hall.

4. All this said, we have to remember that we can't know what would have happened. Maybe Vivi would have won against Jeanette??? I don't believe it, but we can not say no.

5. If Conchita would have won against Daniela, I'm sure that the Spanish team would have tried to win the tie in doubles (with Arantxa) and she would have not played in singles. But Conchita lost (although her play impressed me a lot). So would have, could have won't hepl us anymore.

6. I'm sure you Spanish know what terrific Fedcup players you have in Conchita and Arantxa. They were always there to compete, they have the best results of all Fedcup players. Arantxa even risked her participation in the Chase doubles for her country. How dare we (you) to say that it was her fault that Spain lost???

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
What I don't understand is how are the rules? . I mean, I have read that the captain could have chosen a new player till some minutes after the first match had finished and he decided in the last moment that Arantxa should play, and if Conchi had won, he would have decided that the one who should play was Magüi..

BTW, Magüi played really bad, I must admit this, but well, I think it's better to play out of shape than injured, you have more options..and anyone can have a bad day, btw...

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Yes, I don't understand why the rules didn't allow Magüi to play. Still, maybe she didn't want to take the pressure to lose the tie in front of her home crowd.

I still think nonetheless that Vivi would have been a better option than Arantxa. Arantxa couldn't barely run, she didn't have much options in the match, and that reassured Husarova IMO.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts