Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
50,637 Posts
Re: Fed Cup: Barty legit bagels Garcia 6-0 6-0

Ash :hatoff:

Amazing performance. Very impressive :yeah:
Great serving, wonderful movement, very smart. Beautiful to watch :)
Killer instinct. Very consistent at high level. Mentally strong. She can handle the pressure.

She is the real world #1.
I think Ash will save Australia (again) and win all her 3 rubbers in the final.
The doubles should decide. I hope Barty/Stosur win.

Garcia is overrated.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts

Ash was flawless.

That first set, in particular, was one of the best sets of tennis I've ever seen from a single player. 16 winners in 6 games from Ash.

She didn't put a foot wrong at all. Only missed one return all match (on her first match point at 40-0 on Garcia's serve).

Her BH today was flawless, just hit her topspin and flat BHs really well today. Her passing shots today were exquisite as well, just had answers to everything Garcia was doing.

Garcia didn't have a good day at all, her first serve was MIA and her forehand was a liability from the very first point. Tried to mix it up a little with net approaches and target the Barty BH, but Ash had answers for everything today. Garcia's confidence is going to be shattered after this one, thank god for her the season is ending after tomorrow and she'll have time to regroup.

Ash is now 15-0 in Fed Cup matches, not losing a tie since 2017. She'll probably rout Mladenovic tomorrow as well, and I think the doubles will be the decider in this one.

·
Registered
7,674 Posts

Incredible performance from Ash. Her opponent was rubbish today but that doesn't take anything away from how well she played. Arguably the best match of her career, and her game genuinely looked unstoppable today (which it doesn't always). In control of every point. Also when she faced two BPs and hit an ace and an unreturnable. :lol: Awesome passing shots and lobs too.

Garcia pretty horrendous. I feel for her losing by that scoreline in front of the French fans, because she really did try to change it up and do different things and search for solutions. But just not good. :help: She did deal with the slice well, but first serve percentage must have been around zero, no depth on her groundstrokes, anticipating poorly, and too predictable with her patterns.

·
Registered
30,804 Posts

Ouch, poor Caro, quite possibly the worst day of her professional life. :hug:

Ash in her element, a flawless match, France has no one to touch her. Maybe she should play both matches tomorrow. :eek:h: .

·
Registered
4,581 Posts

From a quick look at past history, I think that's only the third time an Aussie has bagelled someone in a Fed Cup final and the first double-bagel.

73 Goolagong vs Walkden RSA 60 63
63 Court v Hard USA 63 60

Wonder if it's the first double-bagel ever?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

Ash steamrolled Garcia... what a massive win for her!

Garcia must be devastated after this kind of a loss in front of all the French fans. Horrid day for her.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts

:inlove: Speechless from that amazing performance by Ash! When she is on she has such a good upside!

Ash saving Australia once again, for the umpteenth time. It looks like doubles will decide this thing thanks to Ajla not being too great as of late.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Just got back to my hotel from the Fed Cup..interesting day. My take.
* The small crowd of French fans drowned out the packed stadium of Aussies amazingly. The Aussies didnt have much to cheer in the first rubber, and the second one was over in a flash. Ash didnt need our help.
* Ash's masterclass was mind blowing, so relaxed and so totally dominant in every aspect of her game.
* Will we even see Garcia and Tomljanovic tomorrow..they must feel pretty crap tonight.
* It is 38 degrees today- the games were played with the roof open- but closed between and before matches.
I am off to dinner with a Frenchman I met on the bus... :) so a good day all round!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts