Tennis Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decent win for Jo. GB through to the Europe/Africa Group I promotional play-off for the 6th time in 7 years. They have gone on to make the World Group II playoffs thrice (2012, 2013 and 2017) but never made it out of Group I.

·
Registered
23,230 Posts
she most likely almost choked in first set TB.

·
Registered
12,160 Posts
Thank God for the Kontaveit chokes.. :sobbing: She is very dangerous indoors but Konta pulled through in the end! :cheer:

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Great, and much needed win for Jo at this point in time. Anett :hug: Great year so far.

·
Registered
8,692 Posts
This was first match i saw live. As in i was there to watch it. Its so weird. :lol: I kinda suspected ball is much faster seeing it yourself but i had no idea that it is that much. :eek: And its not even fast surface in Tallink Tennis Centre. Kinda makes me appreciate defensive players more. To kill all that pace and return the ball on court takes insane amount of skill! It takes crazy amount of skill to hit hard and have it not go out of bounds as well of course. :lol:
Weirded me out how you have no clue how close to the lines it goes on CC shots. Overall i'm not sure i enjoyed it too much. Cool to see all the players with your own eyes but its much more confy to watch on TV.

Match was tight but Jo won a few more clutch points. Returned better too, IMO. Seems like that made the difference.

·
Registered
37,508 Posts
Kontaveit finally wins a tiebreak and still loses the match :hysteric:

Anyway, well done to Konta for stepping it up in the second and third, I couldn’t watch but it seems like she really had the mental edge in the last two sets and took her opportunities well when it got tight (especially in the second). The Konta we saw in Australia wouldn’t have won those 30-30 and Deuce points late in the second so she’s clearly making some headway in terms of confidence and match toughness. A good foundation for her to find her way back to her form, and she should be really confident going into the promotional playoff. Great Britain has been languishing in EAZI for way too long, it’s only fair they finally get some more opportunities to get promoted.

Disappointing for Anett when she fought so hard in the first to come back those couple of times. Still another good performance against an experienced and highly ranked player, hopefully she’s not too disappointed and can take the positives into Doha. This has been a good settling week for her in my opinion after that horrific choke against CSN, hopefully these matches have put that behind her now as she starts again on tour :cheer:

·
Milk and honey
3,872 Posts
Wasn't able to watch this match sadly but it's nice to see both women improving in their forms, Anett having a really good AO to put behind her the struggles at the end of 2017 due to illness and other factors. I heard that Kontaveit played a really solid first set and was fairly clean, and did well to win it considering Jo served for it twice. It's nice when Kontaveit plays well on tour because her game is quite aesthetically pleasing and she conducts herself with class.

As for Jo, really pleased she won this. Her AO level was so below what we used to from her there, January is often the best month of her year. Great to see she didn't get down on herself after missed opportunities in the first. Will surely beat Hungary now, so I hope that GB FINALLY get a winnable WG2 Playoff match. A few years ago vs Argentina I thought they'd do it but, overall, haven't had much luck there with draws.

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
Phew Jo.

Hungary won't be easy but we should come through that tie tomorrow

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
If anyone choked here it was Konta:lol: She served 3 times for the set, but failed (twice in 1st, once in 2nd, and even the match finished when Kontaveit couldn't hold). Anyway it was a nice contest here:cheer:

Many British fans here!:eek: GB has great support:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts