Tennis Forum banner

101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
18,522 Posts
I would not have high hopes.
It is different to play when you have nothing to lose, especially for Jana Fett.
True, but Italians don't have some spectacular players here and Boskovic already proved that she can play well against some very solid opponents. Not to mention that we have Darija in doubles.

But yeah, it's better to not hope :LOL:

·
Registered
18,522 Posts
If these girls find a way to reach the WG play offs that'll be like the greatest joke ever (or close to it). A total irony. To make it without Martic, Vekic, Konjuh... lol.

P. S. Don't suppose there'll be live stream for the Italy tie...?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
P. S. Don't suppose there'll be live stream for the Italy tie...?
I think it is pathetic that there is no live stream for Fed Cup.
How difficult is it to set the cam these days...

The only reason I don't think they can beat Italy is because of difference in mentality.
Italians are feisty and always ready to fight their hardest.
Better ranking helps them as well.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Breakfest between Boskovic and Cocciaretto, *3-4 for Italian.
Worrying that Lea did not win a single point on her own serve in last two service games. :censored:
Edit: in last 3 service games not a single point won :S, how is that even possible?
3-5* and Italian serving for first set...hopefully no injury.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Lea held serve at the start of second set for the first time since her first service game of the match.
Then she broke serve of Cocciaretto and held her serve almost again for 3-0 lead, had 40-15, but it is deuce instead. :oops:
And she gets broken so 2-1* lead only...:poop:

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Cocciaretto def. Boskovic 6-3 6-3
Giorgi def. Fett 7-6 (4) 6-4

Conclusion is that Donna was right to miss this tie out because she would only tire herself for nothing as there is no other player who could back her up in case she wins all her singles matches.
Maybe Jurak in doubles but she was also always losing crucial doubles matches in the past as well no matter with who she was playing.

I am happy that they stayed at least in this level, that match versus Bulgaria was the most important one.

·
Registered
18,522 Posts
There are just 3 countries with more than 1 top 25 player at the moment - USA, Czech Republic and Croatia.

Guess which is the only one not in the World group 1 of Fed cup? Not to mention we're still to reach WG2 play offs for the first time in many years.

·
Registered
52,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Where were Martic and Vekic? :(
Shame on them! Especially on Martic (again) :rolleyes:
Croatia has 2 Top 25 players and turns up with players outside of Top 230 :help:

The best players MUST play. Otherwise no success.
#4 Svitolina and #26 Yastremska played for Ukraine - and advanced to April play-offs.
Poland: Top 50 Swiatek and Linette (the Top 2) played - and advanced to April play-offs.
Italy: Giorgi and Paolini and Cocciaretto (the best 3) played - and advanced to April play-offs.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I still think problem is not in Majoli and that it would have been even worse if someone else would have had her position because at least she has very good relations with Ana and Donna.
Is it really her job to beg players to play and not of Croatian tennis association?
What could she herself offer to players as stimulation?
I am 90% sure that nobody would have had better results with these players in all of these years.
At first Donna and Ana were just always too young and inexperienced and Petra's career was all over the place.
HTS was never keen on making Mirjana join the team, no big efforts made there.
Now that Martic officially retired from Fed Cup I do not see Croatia ever make it out of that stage no matter who is team captain.
Iva is having high position in WTA and also at WTA St. Petersburg, I think she might resign herself from Fed Cup at some point soon if she sees no changes are possible.

As @rucolo said only guarantee to advance is if the best players are playing, no matter who is team captain that would be enough.

·
Registered
18,522 Posts
I'm not sure if Petra said that she'll never play FC again or that she is just skipping it this year, honestly. Hopefully she comes back. Cause either her, or healthy Konjuh would be enough (if joined by Donna and Darija) to get us through to the next level.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I'm not sure if Petra said that she'll never play FC again or that she is just skipping it this year, honestly. Hopefully she comes back. Cause either her, or healthy Konjuh would be enough (if joined by Donna and Darija) to get us through to the next level.
I have more hope in Ana here.

·
Registered
52,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
A recent article on how Iva should be sacked

The article also states that the Federation's attitude towards women's game needs to change and that they must find ways to make sure our players take part in the competition.
They should more focus on why Martic and Vekic did not play!
Because that is the real problem for the lack of success in Fed Cup.
And not only focus on Fed Cup captain Iva Majoli (who is NOT the main problem).

No idea why rude Martic is treated like an angel.
I am sure in most other nations she would be criticized heavily.
Are there no negative articles in Croatia about Martic regarding Fed Cup at all?

And weird that Majoli was in Donna´s box at Aus Open.
And now directly after the Aus Open Donna did not play Fed Cup.
Was Majoli not asked about this? What did Majoli say about Donna skipping Fed Cup?

I have no information about how Iva Majoli behaves as a Fed Cup captain.
But if she did not even try to get Vekic and Martic playing, then she should be fired.
Iva should also criticize Vekic and (especially) Martic for not playing Fed Cup.
(If she thinks Croatia can advance without Vekic and Martic, then she is delusional.)

So did Martic officially retire from Fed Cup or not?
What exactly has she said about not playing Fed Cup (again) this year?
I mean there must be some words. Some journalists must have asked the world #15.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
They should more focus on why Martic and Vekic did not play!
Because that is the real problem for the lack of success in Fed Cup.
And not only focus on Fed Cup captain Iva Majoli (who is NOT the main problem).

No idea why rude Martic is treated like an angel.
I am sure in most other nations she would be criticized heavily.
Are there no negative articles in Croatia about Martic regarding Fed Cup at all?

And weird that Majoli was in Donna´s box at Aus Open.
And now directly after the Aus Open Donna did not play Fed Cup.
Was Majoli not asked about this? What did Majoli say about Donna skipping Fed Cup?

I have no information about how Iva Majoli behaves as a Fed Cup captain.
But if she did not even try to get Vekic and Martic playing, then she should be fired.
Iva should also criticize Vekic and (especially) Martic for not playing Fed Cup.
(If she thinks Croatia can advance without Vekic and Martic, then she is delusional.)

So did Martic officially retire from Fed Cup or not?
What exactly has she said about not playing Fed Cup (again) this year?
I mean there must be some words. Some journalists must have asked the world #15.
Nobody cares about Fed Cup in Croatia so there are no articles.
Even Croatian tennis association does not seem to care because they did not try to change anything.
Maybe I am wrong but I got the impression Martic meant that she will not play ever Fed Cup again because she had too many injuries and wants to have focus on herself only.
She said she wants to be top 10 players so that she needs to play more wta tournaments and not Fed Cup. :ROFLMAO:
I never saw any article where Iva was being interviewed about anything because nobody cares to make such interview.
Majoli was also in Donna's box in St. Petersburg, they are close friends, she was her former coach for some time.

101 - 117 of 117 Posts