·
Registered
54,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
What do you think about the chances ? :p
It all depends who will play for each country.
For Croatia to have any chance both Vekic and Martic should play but I doubt they will.
More likely it will be Mrdeza and Lukas. :lol:

·
Registered
54,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
54,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Format

Event A - Russia, Ukraine, Poland, Estonia, Bulgaria, Denmark, Sweden

Event B - Great Britain, Serbia, Croatia, Hungary, Turkey, Greece, Georgia, Slovenia

Round-robin basis.

Seven teams will compete in Zielona Gora on 6-9 February 2019, across one Pool of 4 teams and one Pool of 3 teams (Pools A & B). The winners of each pool will play-off to determine which nation from Zielona Gora will advance to the World Group II play-offs.

Eight other teams will compete in Bath, Great Britain on 6-9 February 2019, across two teams of 4 Pools (Pools A & B). The winners of each pool will play-off to determine which nation from Bath will advance to the World Group II play-offs.

Two promoted (one from each of Event A & B)
Two relegated (one from each of Event A & B)

·
Registered
54,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It all depends who will play for each country.
For Croatia to have any chance both Vekic and Martic should play but I doubt they will.
More likely it will be Mrdeza and Lukas. :lol:
Croatia can be glad that Russia and Ukraine play in the other group.
So Croatia is lucky with the draw for sure. To win this group is possible !
But of course Croatia MUST go with their best team: Martic, Vekic and Jurak must play ! :shout:
Martic + Vekic are Top 35 ! And Jurak is Top 50 in doubles -> a strong team :)
(A big question is also if big talent Konjuh will be ready then ???)

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
(A big question is also if big talent Konjuh will be ready then ???)
I seriously doubt she'll commit to it this time. Don't see her on any onf the entry lists for 2019 so far, so it looks like she's missing the entire Aussie swing, and is probably targeting Doha/Dubai for February return. So I'd say it would be too soon to expect her back in the team.

Yes, until we know the nominations we don't really know anything. I'd like to see the strongest team possible, but with both Donna and Petra around their best ever rankings ATM, something tells me their focus will be on their personal achivements this time around.

Fett could've been a nice addition to the team, had her 2018 not taken such a horrible course.

·
Registered
54,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Konjuh looked so promising, but her career now is a big mess ! :help:

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
It's Vekic, Fett, Lukas, Konjuh, Jurak.

No explanation why there's not Martic. Hopefully Konjuh can get some wins until then. Good to see Jurak in for doubles.

·
Registered
54,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A strong team ! :)
Almost best. Only Martic is missing :rolleyes:
I'm a bit shocked that Konjuh is ready to play.

Croatia has a big chance to get out of Europe/Africa zone ! :p
Because the very strong Ukraine (Svitolina, Tsurenko, Yastremska) is in Poland.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
It's Vekic, Fett, Lukas, Konjuh, Jurak.

No explanation why there's not Martic. Hopefully Konjuh can get some wins until then. Good to see Jurak in for doubles.
Fett? Lukas? Konjuh?
What are the back up options? Vrljic? Boskovic? Drazic?

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Lukas has made some improvements last year, but I think I'd still prefer Mrdeza in the team over her.

And Konjuh/Fett will both easily benefit more from this than the team. They each need some lower-pressure matches, Ana for physical, Jana for psychological reasons, where they wouldn't have to think about ranking points or blowing up a protected ranking chance, so good for both of them. I just hope the team gets something out of it too.

·
Registered
54,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
11,179 Posts
https://www.fedcup.com/en/news/299024.aspx

"Anne Keothavong's side, who are set to contest Fed Cup on home soil for the first time in 25 years next month, have avoided Croatia and their star player Donna Vekic - the highest ranked player in the event at No. 29 - in the group stages..."

Which is great, but the team might lose her soon, if they don't progress to the World Group :sad:

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Winnable. Obviously, Serbia will be the toughest rival.
we can borrow you Świątek to take care of Danilović :wavey:
Who is playing for Serbia? Krunia, Danilović, Jorović and Stojanović? Or they will have to use also Radanović?

Reactions: Exiliado

·
Registered
54,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks.

Well, I have almost given up on Konjuh anyway. Always (and long time) injured ...

Did Iva say why Martic (who was the best Croatian girl at Aus Open and played some good tennis there) doesn't play ?

1 - 20 of 117 Posts