Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we're back into the Worldgroup! First time since 2012 :cool:
Playing against 4th seed France in the first round.

The team nominations were released today.

For Belgium:

- Mertens
- Flipkens
- Van Uytvanck
- Bonaventure

So, no Wickmayer since a long time :sad: Not a very big surprise with her current results...
But still Yanina has always played with her heart for our country so it must be tough for her.
I understand Monami has chosen Ysa above Yanina at this moment...

It's probably going to be Mertens & Flipkens in singles, and Van Uytvanck & Bonaventure in doubles.

For France:

- Mladenovic
- Parmentier
- Hesse (WTA 227)
- Bruel (finalist at the AO juniors)

They don't have Garcia or Cornet! :eek:

And we all know Mladenovic can lose to anyone these days, so it will be very interesting!!! :)

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
If the doubles is live then Mertens has to be on court.

Tough to choose the 2nd singles player. Flipkens was stronger in Aus but terrible in St Petersburg. Van Uytvanck hasn’t done anything all year. Bonaventure was good in Auckland and not so much since.

Cornet can’t play due to the ITF investigation against her due to the whereabouts rule.

·
Registered
17,741 Posts
I would still pick Kirsten over Ysaline and Alison as second singles player.
For live doubles I would go with Elise and Ysaline. Mladenovic is of course an excellent doubles player but who is she going to play with? All three other French girls are hardly good doubles players.

·
Registered
22,495 Posts

They look quite fantastic.

Reactions: Barty_Tennisfan

·
Registered
55,971 Posts

·
Registered
55,971 Posts

·
Registered
55,971 Posts

·
Registered
55,971 Posts

·
Registered
55,971 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
They drew Italy away. At least it isn’t a trip to Australia.

·
Registered
17,741 Posts
I wouldn't underestimate Italy either. They are no longer the team they were when they had Pennetta, Schiavone, Vinci and Errani all in top form.
But Errani is still no slouch on clay, and in the match against Spain the younger girls have also proven that they can play well when they have the support of the home audience.

·
Registered
17,741 Posts
According to Het Laatste Nieuws, at least half of the team wanted to get rid of Monami.

ttps://www.hln.be/sport/tennis/driekwart-van-fed-cup-team-wilde-niet-verder-met-monami-van-herck-is-gedroomde-opvolger~ae521923/

Now we can start guessing who :devil:
There was certainly some tension between Kirsten and Dominique during the tie against France.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
It's probably not Mertens, considering she wanted Monami to stay for her match a few weeks ago

1 - 20 of 49 Posts