Tennis Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if the February issue I received was faulty or misprinted as I did not see any reports on The Hopman Cup or events played on The Gold Coast, Canberra, Hobart or Adelaide.....

I have every Tennis magazine since 1986, so I obviously love the sport and really enjoy the magazine. This can be demonstrated through a subscription I was given for Christmas from family. I can honestly and unfortunately say, the current issue was the worst rap on the summer events I have read.

Tournament reports are what you usually do so well. I cannot believe their was not even a mention of any other tournaments other than The Australian Open and Adidas International, especially since all the summer tournaments has great stories to them and stars playing in them.

Australian Tennis magazine has always strongly focused on 'stars', and not a broader range of players. Although I would like them to broaden exposure on players (which they have done slightly recently) I can understand why it is important to focus on the big names. The thing is, The Hopman Cup boasted a great field, full of stars ands still no report. Venus Williams plays at the Gold Coast and nothing! Top 10 Henman wins Adelaide, no mention. Smashanova, wins 2 events back to back, including one in Australia and no mention.

I honestly keep going back to the magazine to make sure I haven't missed anything!!!

I was also shocked to see such hideous things about Jennifer Capriati's costume and her weight. Jennifer won the Australian Open, played some tough 3 set matches, so I hardly think she is unfit, yet alone fat. The "more sit ups" and "good Christmas" comments were out of line. In a world were eating disorders continue to destroy lives I hardly think comments on an amazing role model seem appropriate. There are plenty of other ways of saying you don't like a costume.

I also felt the 'Rios' comments could have been approached more constructively. I was lucky enough to have the first 10 days at the Open and saw some fantastic tennis. I saw heaps of 3 set matches, from the qualifying rounds to the finals, including matches involving the top seeds. Capriati, Henin, Testud, Shaughnessy, Williams and Tulyaganova were all taken to 3 sets in the first week. Testud and Sanchez were 2 high profile women who lost early. On the first Saturday, I watched 2 amazing matches on Court 2, Weingartner upsetting Shaughnessy and Grande also upsetting Tulyaganova. All 4 women used the trainer, all 4 put their bodies on the line. It installed in my mind, more then ever, that women do deserve the same prize money.

The report on the juniors was also interesting. There was no mention of the actual winners at all. I have no idea how they play or your opinions on their likelihood to succeed in the senior ranks.

This post seems like I am having a big knock. I guess I am. I am disappointed the Australian circuit coverage. Maybe its because I expect so much of this publication as I feel it is the leading Tennis magazine in the world.

Regardless, I will continue to look forward to the end of the month when I know I can expect my next edition.

Anyone else read this edition of tennis mag? Your thoughts?

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
I don't read OZ Tennis, but if your report on its coverage is accurate, it's as bad as US Tennis mag. Which, for my money, doesn't really cover tournaments.

The good thing is, you had a month of GREAT tennis in OZ this year, capped off by one hell of an Austrailian Open final.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Hey Monster. Australian Tennis magazine has really gone downhill the past 3-4 years I think. I used to buy it religiously in the 80's and early 90s, but gave up in the late 90s. I think that the stories are no longer interesting, and they don't do the great year end ranking feature that they used to do with the year head to heads. The coverage of the GS is really average, and I think that the graphics are really gawdy (not a glowing review!;) )

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ball change pls I agree entirely with you.
Features and articles, even just simple type errors standards have lowered. I still enjoy reading bits and pieces but I guess a lot of info can now be found on the internet.
The French Tennis Mag is great- I can translate a little french but the photo's and articles are great

·
Registered
386 Posts
I'm another disappointed with the magazines content and presentation in the last couple of years. I used to wait at the maibox each month for my copy to arrive - subscribed for years and thought how lucky Aussies were to have such a great magazine but now I don't even look for it in the newsagency.....I mean I don't even check it out to see if it is worth buying - it really is THAT bad now.

Remember the big writeups we used to get from Grand Slams??? Now it is just stating the obvious, bias comments and crappy, badly cut photos.

Most of their feature interviews have already been circulating on the internet for a number of months before they appear in the magazine. All in all a pretty sad effort - but believe me when I say that it pains me to write this. If the magazine picked up its efforts I would buy it again in a flash.

BTW were the comments about Jen made by Alan "no one deserves a second chance" Trengove??? That guy is stuck in the iceages. IF he had his way woman players would be dressed like Lottie Dod and be paid a small fraction of what she earned as a tennis player!!!!!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts