Tennis Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:lol:

Mess of a match.

Set 1 was perfect tennis from Petra. Set 2 was Shitra showing up, losing 6 games in a row from *10 up. Set 3 was Peak Petra for the first half of the set, then lost her way until she randomly broke Golubic at 4-3, 0-40 down :lol: held serve to win the tie but that missed smash was comical :hysteric:

THANK GOD Petra won this because signs were not looking good after the second set where she just sprayed ball after ball.

Golubic played at a very good level from the second set on. Just was running and getting every ball back, really rattled Petra in that second set after the smooth-sailing first set where she just bulldozed her way through Golubic.

Rollercoaster of a match, but as Petra always does in Fed Cup, she delivers. Again.

Barbora/Belinda should be interesting. I reckon Belinda needs to win that one to have a chance of upsetting the Czechs.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Grrr I missed the match except for the last 2 games due to London's bad traffic! I noticed from the match stats that they had 18 double faults between them... :eek:
Please up your level Kvitty, I promise I will be good!

·
Registered
16,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^^What a myopic analysis. :lol: It looked like Peak Petra in the 1st because, Golubic couldnt read her serve. 2nd set was about Petra getting frustrated to hit that extra ball and Golubic never missing anything while at the same time making Petra move all over the court. Both played pretty well in the third, Golubic more so than Petra. But Petra wasn't spraying on return and was very effective at the net to not to give the Swiss any chance to extend a rally.
Even though Golubic couldn't read Petra's serve, Petra wasn't missing any of her groundstrokes though. Her winners was more than double her UE count that set. Even though she couldn't read Petra's serve, she still got most of them back into play and we all know that if Petra isn't on, she can very easily miss all the putaways, which she didn't in that set. And her returns were firing. And that means, Petra played well.

That's what I said about the second set, where Golubic was chasing every ball down and rattling Petra.

I also said that both played quite well in the third set, Petra was better than Golubic in the first 3 games I feel. Overall in that set, I don't know. Maybe Golubic was better, but Petra was more clutch, that's for sure. I felt like it was a very close set regardless which Golubic lost thanks to that untimely DF in that 8th game.

So, well... explain to me how my analysis is myopic, besides already repeating what I already said, essentially. In just different words and phrasing.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Petra in set 1 is how she should always play (ha! If only!! ;) ) It was basically more of the same from St Petersberg. Calm. Controlled power based on good serving and crisp ground strokes. Only one point dropped on serve. Then the mess of set 2! She lost focus and credit to Golubic. She mixed it up, moved Petra around and her lovely sliced backhand gave her trouble. However a tense Petra always struggles, but even so, a pretty big shit show!

Started set 3 well, but Golubic fought back like someone ranked much higher. Still, when there is a sniff, Petra does have that champion mentality. At 4-4, 40-0, she made the move to attack and forced the break with some great play. Impressed with some nice touch volleys from Petra today and she usually does the biz closing a match. Really good fight from the Swiss girl but Petra didn’t want to lose this one. My feed cut off as soon as the match was done, but I but she was pretty relieved to get this win.

Inconsistent play is always going to be Petra’s weakness but still, a win is a win! Congrats to Petra and the Czech team. If Pliskova is fit for tomorrow will Petra play singles and Barbora and Lucie play doubles?

Reactions: Stefberg

·
Registered
23,230 Posts
she had me worried, but wd in the end. :yeah:

·
Registered
31,962 Posts
Kvitova prevails against Giant Golubic, despite the evil attempt of Pliskova to sabotage the Czech team by demanding an extremely slow court before sitting out. It was so muddy, that Kvitova could barely jump and double-faulted all over the desert.

Am I doing it right, Honzo? :grin2:

·
Registered
11,305 Posts
Even though Golubic couldn't read Petra's serve, Petra wasn't missing any of her groundstrokes though. Her winners was more than double her UE count that set. Even though she couldn't read Petra's serve, she still got most of them back into play and we all know that if Petra isn't on, she can very easily miss all the putaways, which she didn't in that set. And her returns were firing. And that means, Petra played well.

That's what I said about the second set, where Golubic was chasing every ball down and rattling Petra.

I also said that both played quite well in the third set, Petra was better than Golubic in the first 3 games I feel. Overall in that set, I don't know. Maybe Golubic was better, but Petra was more clutch, that's for sure. I felt like it was a very close set regardless which Golubic lost thanks to that untimely DF in that 8th game.

So, well... explain to me how my analysis is myopic, besides already repeating what I already said, essentially. In just different words and phrasing.
It' myopic because u made it sound as if that match was all about either Petra or Shitra which it wasn't. That's all.

Reactions: Stefberg

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Kvitova prevails against Giant Golubic, despite the evil attempt of Pliskova to sabotage the Czech team by demanding an extremely slow court before sitting out. It was so muddy, that Kvitova could barely jump and double-faulted all over the desert.

Am I doing it right, Honzo? :grin2:
No need to say more, just this

·
Registered
10,631 Posts
I missed the 1st set so I'm kind of glad that Petra put on a s*it show in the second to come back in the third and so that the late-arriving viewers could enjoy two full sets :lol:

Golubic was great again like she was in Lucerne back in 2016, when she beat both Karo & Barbie, but she sealed the deal for Petra when she double faulted at 3*-4, Petra's advantage, to give Petra the decisive break. As always, Petra had a few missteps even in the last game, even facing a BP, but she finally made it at around 2 hours into the match.

As for Karo, a Czech Fed Cup doc said she's not likely to play tomorrow, although there's still some chance she will.

·
Registered
55,971 Posts
Petra ! :cheer:

Another Fed Cup win. Please win in 2 sets tomorrow

The Czech girls should advance to SF :)

·
Registered
55,971 Posts
Reactions: Ed Hominan

·
Registered
55,971 Posts
Reactions: Ed Hominan

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
You know people are acting like Petra played pretty bad this match but actually, Victorija is very under the radar on her way up. She's won at least three matches in six of her last seven tournaments and I wouldn't be surprised if she finishes the year inside the Top 30.

·
Registered
55,971 Posts

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Expected mess on that slow courts. Golubic and her one million racket throws.... :spit: :help: still very dislikeable,I see.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts