Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a fight from Chiesa she has a great game :bigclap:

Congrats to Italy, deserved victory here :worship: Great play by Garbin playing Deborah instead of Paolini

·
Registered
16,195 Posts
Chiesa was always the better option over Paolini. Good last couple of points .

Have no idea why AMG is the captain for Spain.... she look clueless and scared through this tie.

·
Registered
28,266 Posts
Chiesa has game indeed. I’m impressed. Still Lara had the match under control and was able to come back by going forward, hiting winners with her forehand and going to the net.
However at 4-1 up third set, passive Lara came again sadly and let Chiesa in back to the match. The italian started to believe in herself again and was the more aggressive player in the last games, except for few times when Lara went for her shots again but after a big choke in TB when she was down 1-5 after some hideous UE. However lot of credit to Chiesa who is unexperienced and managed herself great in this tense match. She hit 2 aces in TB in crucial moments also :yeah:
She has a strong built and power, mainly in a great first serve and backhand and moves quite well also. She was more erratic and less damaging on the FH side

Very disappointing performance overall by Spain

·
Premium Member
66,174 Posts
I swear I saw AMG with the same lifeless stare when Suarez Navarro was fighting to stay in the third set. :help: Cannot see her being the captain for the next tie if she didn't have a personal reason for being so apathetic.

Happy for Debbie though. :cheer: She really should have played in the first match too. I have no idea how anyone could expect Paolini to hit through Suarez Navarro on clay.

·
Registered
39,535 Posts
Chiesa :hearts: Good to see a young Italian stepping it up. Will be interesting to see if we have more good young players coming up from Italy in 5-10 years after the Pennetta/Schiavone generation's success. As for now, the team can't compete for the Fed Cup title anymore.

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
Chiesa is like a mini-Knapp who moves better :lol:
But without a huge FH.
Her FH needs a lot of work. She doesn't have power and it's short most of the times.
Good BH and Serve tho' :)

·
Super Moderator
2,445 Posts
Chiesa gives a glimmer of hope for top Italian tennis, hope she can use this as confidence to continue up the ranks. :)

Tough tie from the get-go, happy Italy got through! :cheer:

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
Amazing result :aparty: Deborah should really aim for top-100 in a year's time or so!

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Oh my God, so Spain are going to have to fight to remain in World Group II :rolls: :hysteric: Imagine if they draw Great Britain or Latvia :rolls: I'm weak!

I now have this image of Conchita with a glass of white wine in her right hand, looking at this result on her phone, and laughing. Spain have really played themselves...

Reactions: ItalyTennisFan
1 - 20 of 28 Posts