Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There have been a lot of negative threads that lament the state of the tour. Yes, there can be improvements but we are all here in TF because we enjoy women's tennis (some trolls notwithstanding).

What are the moments that make you a fan of women's tennis? What are the moments that are worth celebrating and that demonstrate how great the tour can be? What would you like to see more of?

One match that comes to mind is Kerber vs Hsieh AO 2018 R4 (4-6 7-5 6-2) with Kerber returning from a terrible year, playing against Hsieh, the magician, mental torturer, and wardrobe mixer-upperer. Fun rallies, pure grit, mental resilience and entertainment. Still too soon for me to revisit Angie's semi against Halep but there were boatloads of grit there too.

Other recent examples:
2019 Fed Cup: Halep def Garcia (6-7(6) 6-3 6-4)
2019 Fed Cup: Aus def BLR doubles deciding rubber (7-5 3-6 6-2)
AO 2019: Muguruza def Konta (6-4 6-7(3) 7-5) starting play past midnight.
2018 Madrid CSN def Svitolina (2-6 7-6 6-4). CSN showed how much that win on home soil meant to her and Svitolina showed great sportsmanship by checking on CSN when she fell.

·
Banned
2,413 Posts
Seles winning aus open 1996

Steffi winning french open 1999

Serena winning 2003 aus open semis beating Kim

Sharapova winning aus open 2008 after a 2007 bad loss

Kim winning us open 2009 and better 2nd slam career

Li na winning french open 2011 and becomes first Asian to win a singles slam

Sharapova beating halep at french open 2014 and saving tennis

Kvitova saving tennis from arrogant c grade model by winning 2014 wimbledon

Serena completing her 18th at us open 2014

Kerber winning aus open 2016 and started a remarkable turn around in her career.

Serena becomes GOAT winning 2017 aus open

Ostapenko wins 2017 french open and saved tennis again from halep wozniacki.

Sloane fulfilling her talent at us open 2017

Naomi winning her first us open open 2018 and a new star is born. People expecting her to be new face of women tennis .

Naomi backing up her second slam at 2019 aus open and proving she is real deal

·
Banned
704 Posts
Puig winning the Olympic gold medal out of nowhere beating 3 top ten players in a row, Muguruza, Kvitova, Kerber to give her country it’s first gold medal ever in male or female sports

Osaka crying at the US open ceremony when she thought the crowd was booing her for defeating Serena and Katrina Adams announcing to everyone that this is not the finish that they wanted. I made me cheer on for Osaka so much and she didn’t deserve her joyful moment ruined like that

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Seles Graf RG 1992 F, Graf repeated defeat at french open final

Graf Seles 1995/6 USO F Graf #1 defeating #2 Seles in two bck to bck finals

Seles Graf RG 1999 SF an epic match on Graf´s way to beat top 3 seeds back to back and win the open era record slams by that time

Serena Seles 1999 USO SF, a much more interesting match than the final, on Serena´s first GS quest

Serena Hingis AO 2001 QF #1 Hingis defeating 5 Serena in an epic 3 set match

Sharapova Serena wimbledon 2004 F , breakthrough for the teen

Henin Hingis 2006 WTA finals, early round but I love the different styles, too bad their rivalry was shorter than what it should

Vinci Serena 2015 USO SF, one of the most thrilling matches in recent times. Serena being denied of the calendar year slam

Kerber Serena AO 2016, Kerber´s first slam, competitive match, a lot of emotions at the end

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Jana Novotna winning Wimbledon title in her 3rd final.
Monika Seles and Petra Kvitova returning to TOP of the game after terrible attacks.
Serena and Venus having cheering welcome back in Indian Wells after the years of boycott.
LiNa first Asian player winning GS title.

·
La nuit je mens
87,998 Posts
2001 FO final.
2005 Round of 16 between Kim and Davenport in Wimbledon.
Kim winning the 2005 USO.
The USO 2009 SF between Kim and Serena.
The last two points of the third set TB between Kim and Henin in Miami 2010.
Kim saving MPs to beat Sharapova in Cincinnati final 2010.
Kim saving MPs through a sprained ankle to beat Li Na in Melbourne 2012.

·
Premium Member
44,194 Posts
I'll go far back for a start... the run of Mandlikova at the 1985 USO, defeating Evert and Navratilova in a row in wonderful fashion....

here are highlights of the SF vs Evert - the latter being usually unforgiving with net rushers... (Shriver can tell!). Mandlikova fell several times, but kept rushing with bloody elbows... relentlessly, elegantly... yes, I know, other times, less power than today... but still an entertaining show, consistent and beautiful. Admire the touch! and accuracy - of both.

also you'd note from the start of that vid that their respective run didn't seem to be much of a struggle... five wins in 2 for each, minus one... not exactly the same early rounds as today...

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I forgot about Dokic's 2009 comeback at AO. This was a few years after she was estranged from her father and switched back to representing Australia again. She had to get through qualifiers and played five 3-setters in the main draw, beating Chakvetadze and Woz along the way. She defeated Kleybanova 7–5, 5–7, 8–6 in a gripping R4 match. The atmosphere was amazing with everyone cheering for her.

I'd recommend her autobiography which explains what she was experiencing off the court - really confronting and shows her resilience.

·
Registered
19,231 Posts
My favourite moments in women's tennis:

Singles:

Best five moments for me:

- Naomi Osaka wins back to back Grand Slam titles US Open 2018/Australian Open 2019 and becomes world number 1
- Elena Dementieva wins the Olympic Gold medal in 2008
- Sabine Lisicki defeats Serena Williams at Wimbledon 4r 2013 (still my favourite upset) en route to a GS final on her fave surface
- Amelie Mauresmo winning Championships 2005, Australian Open and Wimbledon 2006 in the span of only half a season
- Kimiko Date's match against Venus Williams at Wimbledon 2r 2011 where she barely lost with 6:8 in the third

Others:

- Alizé Cornet defeats Serena Williams at Wimbledon 3r 2014
- Mirjana Lucic's Australian Open SF run 2017 (18 years after her last Grand Slam SF)
- Anne Kremer defeats Monica Seles at Eastbourne 1999 (this victory brought me to follow tennis closer)
- Jelena Jankovic saving these MPs at the Australian Open 1r 2008 against Tamira Paszek
- Jelena Jankovic finishing that season 2008 as year-end number 1
- Kimiko Date winning Seoul title as a 39 year old
- Anastasia Myskina's amazing tiebreak against Vera Zvonareva at San Diego 2004
- Claudine Schaul winning Strasbourg 2004 with a win over Lindsay Davenport in the final

Doubles:

- Katerina Siniakova wins back to back doubles Grand Slams with Barbora Krejicikova at Roland Garros and Wimbledon 2018

·
Registered
That Woman
4,675 Posts
Jana Novotna, Wimbledon 1993-1998. It was the most cinematic career at one single event.

I was a fan of tennis as a kid, but Novotna's triumph after years of almost made me rediscover it as an adult.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
Lucic semi final out of the blue at Australian Open.

Lucic beating Help at Grand Slams.

Emerging of Russian stars in early 00s - not only Queen Lena but also Lina, Vera, Nadia, Elena, Nastya, even Goloviznina and Syssoeva. Bovina as well.

Jelena Jankovic showing her inner Jelena Karleusa, becoming real tennis diva.

Ostapenko vs Help in the final of RG

Each match of Ostapenko vs Wozniacki in 2017

Serena vs Dementieva at Wimbledon

Beijing Olympics from qf on

Reactions: Riskiick and Molok

·
Registered
28,377 Posts
Victoria Azarenka vs Maria Sharapova Championship Point Indian Wells Final 2012
(with very enthusiastic commentary)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Of recent, Osaka winning back to back GS titles at US Open '18 and AO '19.

The Olympic year peak Serena thrashed all her competitors, handling them breadsticks as they come.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Serena choking 5-1 in the third to Kaja at the 2019 Aussie Open
Naomi beating Serena after her meltdown at the 2018 US Open
Clijsters ENDING Serena at the 2009 US Open with the help of legend Shino
Stosur beating Serena at the 2010 French Open after saving MP and choking the second set
Petra beating Maria handily at 2011 Wimbledon
Petrova beats Rezai in R3 of the 2011 French Open 9-7
Venus beats Lindsay after Lindsay serves for 2005 Wimbledon
Amanda Anismova DESTROYS defending champ Simona Halep at the 2019 French Open
Vika wins the Sunshine Double in 2016
Li Na wins the 2014 Australian Open after saving MP against Lucie
Ana wins her first grand slam over flop Safina at the 2008 French Open

1 - 20 of 42 Posts