Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
American Football & Tennis are my favorite sports. Tennis has a special quality since it's a worldwide sport & has tournaments all across the globe. I've just gotten into traveling to different tournaments & really exploring the best tournament sites.

My ultimate dream tournament is Australian Open - Hopefully in 2011 when Serena is destined to win #5.

Other Tournaments that pique my interest are Rome, Madrid, Sydney & Miami.

What are your favorite tournament spots & why.

·
Winner
14,940 Posts
The only one I've been to is Wimbledon the last couple of years. It has it's setbacks, but generally I have a great time.

I would like to go to a regular tournament though. Smaller crowds and the players/courts are more accessible. One year I hope to go on a tour of Europe either during the clay season or indoor season. And of course I would love to visit Australia too!

·
Banned
15,895 Posts
I have been to Cincinnati, Charleston, and Amelia Island several times. All are a lot of fun.

But the best has been Indian Wells. It is just great there. Weather, setting, facilities, 2-week event, lots of matches on many courts, top tier of players, lot of area to walk around and relax, players practicing on a lot of courts. All of that practically ignoring the ATP/men's presence there (which I did because I was focused on the WTA/women's activities, and there was so much going on with that).

And the Palm Springs and desert area is a really beautiful area of the country to visit. I had such a nice time there.

Others I would like to attend in the near future: Australian Open, US Open, Wimbledon, Bali, Pattaya.

I have no interest in attending the indoor tournaments.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only one I've been to is Wimbledon the last couple of years. It has it's setbacks, but generally I have a great time.

I would like to go to a regular tournament though. Smaller crowds and the players/courts are more accessible. One year I hope to go on a tour of Europe either during the clay season or indoor season. And of course I would love to visit Australia too!
I'm going to Wimbledon this year ... went last year & had so much fun so this year I'm going longer.

BTW, why does Lindsay look so fat in your avatar

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been to Cincinnati, Charleston, and Amelia Island several times. All are a lot of fun.

But the best has been Indian Wells. It is just great there. Weather, setting, facilities, 2-week event, lots of matches on many courts, top tier of players, lot of area to walk around and relax, players practicing on a lot of courts. All of that practically ignoring the ATP/men's presence there (which I did because I was focused on the WTA/women's activities, and there was so much going on with that).

And the Palm Springs and desert area is a really beautiful area of the country to visit. I had such a nice time there.

Others I would like to attend in the near future: Australian Open, US Open, Wimbledon, Bali, Pattaya.

I have no interest in attending the indoor tournaments.
R U American? Indian Wells does look like it has beautiful facilities. I wish I had gone to Amelia Island before it got downgraded. I love the ATP & WTA so I lean more toward tourneys with both. There's something special when you walk on Wimbledon grounds ... it was unreal

·
Registered
596 Posts
Miami is my favorite. The atmosphere there is really fun and laid back.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I think Roland Garros is a really nice tournament (well, it's a slam, so of course it is). Very well-organized, and the atmosphere is great. I used to like Antwerp, it's a shame it's gone now. But my favourite tournament by far is the Båstad ATP tournament in Sweden, and I'm very excited about the WTA tournament there this summer. There is such an amazing atmosphere there, the weather is always nice, and everyone is so nice. :)

·
Registered
24,260 Posts
San Diego :sad: > Hilton Head > Indian Wells > Hilton Head > Charleston > Cinci = LA (Carson)

Will be interesting to see What the new Cinci will be like. I'm rating it so low at this point because the quality of players wasn't that exciting in the past.

I also attend the USO nearly every year, but you really can't compare a major to tour stops. It's probably also unfair for me to rank Indian Wells (combined) with the others.

Anyway, San Diego was the most fantastic event. Beautiful location, great fields, packed stands, great atmosphere.

·
Registered
12,791 Posts
i've been to three...AO, gold coast when it was a tournament, and now brisbane
all good for different things, obviously AO is a grandslam...all the players, great facilities, a lot of fun (minus the heat and when it's heaps crowded)
gold coast was good because no crowds, but never had a fantastic entry list
brisbane was great, free entry days all the top players were out hitting for over an hour, and easily accessible, small crowds relatively for the entire tournament, easy to see your favourites up close, and great entry list

·
#GloballyEli
16,291 Posts
Tournaments I have attended:

Dubai 2009 / Roland Garros since 2003 / Wimbledon since 1996 / Madrid YEC 2006-2007 / Open Gaz de France 2002-2008 / Eastbourne since 2007 / ITF Poitiers 2008

Have loved all the tournaments that I have attended over the years :worship: Loved Dubai this year, such a small friendly little tournament, beautiful weather, beautiful grounds and great atmosphere - loved it there!! :hearts: Also love Roland Garros...always such a fun tournament, great atmosphere, always lots to see...look forward to this tourney every year!! :hearts:

Madrid YEC was another great tourney, fantastic facilities, was such a shame it wasn't there longer. Open Gaz....another fun tourney, but quite a few negatives too...tickets are expensive, toilets and facilities are terrible, only two courts etc... (went there for 7 years so I know it VERY well :tape: )

Would love to go to:

Australian Open / Rome / Tashkent / Bali / Pattaya / Portoroz / Palermo / some smaller ITF tournies

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
New Haven - close to home, relaxing
US Open - close to home, exciting
Indian Wells - I love California and the desert
Miami - if I missed IW I can go to warm place to see great tennis here (this year I missed both :sobbing:)

·
Registered
21,146 Posts
I've been to:
Paris indoors, Roland Garros, Zurich and Madrid in 2006
Paris indoors, Rome, Roland Garros, Wimbledon, Luxembourg, Zurich, Stuttgart, ITF Poitiers and Madrid 2007
Paris indoors, Antwerp, Miami, Rome, Roland Garros, Eastbourne, Portoroz, Zurich and Linz in 2008 (plus a few ITFs in the Netherlands, France and Italy))
Paris indoors in 2009

My favorite tournament for the general atmospheres and very good organizations: Portoroz and Miami. Such a cool atmosphere, that was really nice. I also liked a lot Eastbourne. The city is so calm, peaceful, that's good just after a Slam like RG. I don't really like Slams atmosphere... But next year, Eastbourne will be a mixed tournament, so not sure it'll still be the same.

This year, I'll attend a few new tournaments to me (Cincinnati, Toronto and maybe Tokyo, and ITFs) and go back to a few I've already attended (Stuttgart but I'm curious about the indoors clay, Rome, Roland Garros, Eastbourne, Wimbledon). Will see if one of these will become my absolute fav.

Reactions: drake3781

·
Look who's back!
32,304 Posts
I'm at Wimbledon every year, but I'd love to go to one of the smaller tournaments. I like to round the smaller courts where you are really close to the players.

I'd love to do a tour of the AO Hardcourt Season tournaments (Auckland, Brisbane, Sydney etc. Culminating in AO) they seem really relaxed with great facilities, plus the opportunities to meet players seems high too :) Anyone wanna come with me? :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,866 Posts
Anyway, San Diego was the most fantastic event. Beautiful location, great fields, packed stands, great atmosphere.
I definitely agree. That was the best tennis tournament I've ever attended.

Indian Wells is also fantastic, but very different... Carlsbad was so intimate.

I also love New Haven. Great facilities, and they used to have really good fields that rivaled many tier I's. But, that's changed quite a bit over the last few years.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm at Wimbledon every year, but I'd love to go to one of the smaller tournaments. I like to round the smaller courts where you are really close to the players.

I'd love to do a tour of the AO Hardcourt Season tournaments (Auckland, Brisbane, Sydney etc. Culminating in AO) they seem really relaxed with great facilities, plus the opportunities to meet players seems high too :) Anyone wanna come with me? :lol:
I see ur an Ivanovic fan ... I'll be at Wimbledon supporting her as well

·
Banned
25,017 Posts
US Open and Miami are the only ones I have attended.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts