Votes: 3 16.7%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
billie_jean_king said:
Silly list! Why aren't I on it?
They only gave me 4 options, and this was my first poll- so I didn't do too badly- you were on the list and got axed because you're not in the booth often enough, okay?

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
alfajeffster said:
Mary Carillo
Pam Shriver
Tracy Austin
Martina Navratilova
Mary Carillo by far!

She can be annoying at times,
but to me she's the least annoying and seems to be the most impartial
of them all regardless of the match she's commentating on.

Also, very good humor.
I love it when she and JMac commentate together.
It's funny to see her keep him in line.

How long have they known each other?
You get the sense that they go way back.

·
Registered
710 Posts
All of the US coverage commentators annoy me. The favoritism they have for particular players is very disgusting. But if I had to choose, I will pick Tracey Austin because she seems to be the most fair.

·
Registered
19,459 Posts
alfajeffster said:
Mary Carillo
Pam Shriver
Tracy Austin
Martina Navratilova
1. Carillo-because she makes me laugh
2. Nav-she knows the game better than any commentator I've heard.(Maybe too knowledgable for her own good)
3. Austin- too long winded, but usually tries to say nice things about everyone
4. Shriver- Has too many preconceived notions and biases based only on her own point of view. One dimensional.

·
Registered
122,503 Posts
For me, it's Martina by far. Mary doesn't follow the tour closely anymore. And it shows. Tracy's comments about the Russians make no sense.
Pam's okay, but I've heard it all.
Martina plays against these players, in doubles. And she understands every aspect of the game. As both a player, and an analyst, Martina knows how to dissect each player's game, and what they need to do to improve.
And I missed her during Wimbledon.

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
billie_jean_king said:
OK, I'll let you off, sweetie. :kiss:
That said- I think Billie Jean King is by far the best commentator I've EVER heard. She knows the history of the game inside and out, even though memory conveniently "fails" when it comes to Margaret Court, but that's understandable- she still has a fire there. I wish they would just give Billie Jean and John McEnroe the microphone for all the majors, and then supplement their schedules with the talking heads!

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
billie_jean_king said:
Darling, I'd be there like a shot, but some of these matches last for a long time and I couldn't waste so much time in the commentary booth when I could be eating!
Hey, she looks great now compared to a couple of years ago. I remember watching BJK and Owen Davidson playing Virginia Wade and I'm sorry, can't remember who her partner was, playing senior mixed on one of the outside courts (this was before Arthur Ashe config)- and she was a tank- she's really trimmed down since then- give ole mother freedom a break!

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
Mary C nows what she is talking about. unlike the other choices, mary is for sure a PRO COMMENTATOR, this is what she looks for and lives to do. she doesn't even just cover tennis like the others do. she did a wonderful one on HBO Sports, i believe it was homeless soccer in NY. it was excellent. she is OC. none like her. PAM and Mary jo are ex tennis players that just run their mouths, Martina in a way nows what she is talking about.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.