Tennis Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
it's been gradually more and more common to show the speed measurements of isolated groundstroke winners. We see that in every other match nowadays*. Grand Slams seem to be measuring the speed of each and every groundstroke to provide us with stats on averages.

so the question is simple - is Agatha Radwanska's GOAT 159km/h (99mph) FH winner the fastest recorded groundstroke on WTA? 馃洂馃洂馃洂

How ironic would that be? :p
I've researched some old threads here and on other forums and haven't found anything faster.
What are some other recorded super-fast groundstrokes?

Registered
...so the question is simple - is Agatha Radwanska's GOAT 159km/h (99mph) FH winner the fastest recorded groundstroke on WTA? 馃洂馃洂馃洂

What are some other recorded super-fast groundstrokes?
Yastremska in China last year (can't remember which tournament) did a 160 km/h return of serve in one match, and later (I think in the same match, but I may be mistaken) hit a winner that was over 170. That's the fastest I've ever seen, and even the commentator was in raptures.

I've also seen Giorgi hit a winner that was clocked at over 160, and I'm sure there will be plenty of others that people remember from their favourites, simply because those speeds are so much higher than the 120-130 average return.

Registered
there's no way aga can hit that kind of shot against anyone else though, she pretty much completely built off of maddy's pace combined with her flat follow through

i can remember a few, a FH from serena against ana in 2009 middle eastern tournament, and one against halep in 2014 yec final.

and mary pierce against safina, not sure where this was tho

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Yastremska in China last year (can't remember which tournament) did a 160 km/h return of serve in one match, and later (I think in the same match, but I may be mistaken) hit a winner that was over 170. That's the fastest I've ever seen, and even the commentator was in raptures.

I've also seen Giorgi hit a winner that was clocked at over 160, and I'm sure there will be plenty of others that people remember from their favourites, simply because those speeds are so much higher than the 120-130 average return.
thanks, omg 170km/h+ would be monstrous even on ATP, will try to look up for it

Registered
I don't know about individual strokes, but I Remember it was widely talked about how at RG 2017 Ostapenko had a top 5 average forehand speed on the tournament, with 122.31 km/h, above then Nr 1 Andy Murray.

Registered
2009 Dubai - Serena vs Ana Ivanovic.
Some of Serena's forehand returns were hit so hard, they would've took somebody's head off

Registered
I love when we chat about this and we realize what seperates the men and women isn鈥檛 power, it鈥檚 speed and endurance.

There is a healthy amount of ladies that clock groundies on par with men.

Registered
didn't find the shots in any of the highlight but did find a tweet that confirms the 160km/h return ;)

it's strangely dated on Oct 6, Beijing final, but Dayana played her last match Sep 30, so it doesn't help
Yes. I thought that it was against Caroline Garcia, which would make the match the first round at Beijing, but it's not in the highlights (which I've just watched again). What struck me about it was that, not only was it a backhand, it was an inside-out from the deuce court which roared back past the server like lightning. As I wrote above, I'm pretty sure the top speed winner was later in the same match, but maybe they were both against a different opponent in Wuhan or Bertens in Beijing.

Registered
I love when we chat about this and we realize what seperates the men and women isn鈥檛 power, it鈥檚 speed and endurance.

There is a healthy amount of ladies that clock groundies on par with men.
Sure,and i'm not even mentioning average groundstroke speeds and topspin.Men simply have way more upper and lower body strength(A study in the Journal of Applied Physiology found that men had an average of 26 lbs [12 kilograms] more skeletal muscle mass than women. Women also exhibited about 40 percent less upper-body strength and 33 percent less lower-body strength, on average).

Registered
there's no way aga can hit that kind of shot against anyone else though, she pretty much completely built off of maddy's pace combined with her flat follow through

i can remember a few, a FH from serena against ana in 2009 middle eastern tournament, and one against halep in 2014 yec final.

and mary pierce against safina, not sure where this was tho
The Pierce return winner against Safina (at the 2005 Kremlin Cup) was the first thing that came to mind.

Premium Member
There's actually a chance that most of the fastest shots came from returning-counterpunching shots already hit with power. The counterpunching adding speed over the started one.

Registered
There's actually a chance that most of the fastest shots came from returning-counterpunching shots already hit with power. The counterpunching adding speed over the started one.
Time to look at Keys-Kerber match highlights

1 - 19 of 19 Posts