Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This interview Jelena gave yesterday prior to her FED Cup appearance for Serbian team in Plovdiv, Bulgaria. It's a translation from serbian:

Q: After James Bond, serbian tennis got Bonds' girl, too! Novak Djokovic became world No. "007" with taking the title in Masters in Miami, while Jelena Jankovic came on the same spot of the WTA list with her triumph on Charleston clay-courts.
"I don't satisfy myself with my present achievements, I want to develop my game even more, to enter Top5. In 2007. WTA Race I'm on 2nd spot and that speaks for itself how much points I've earned in this year. But I'm not opsessed with my ranking. More important is how I play. If I continue to play my game, ranking won't be a problem."

Q: In Charleston you've won convincingly 4 matches, while 1/2 final clash with Venus was one of most dramatic you've played so far in your career. In contrast of your 1/2 encounter with Justine Henin at US open, you came through as a winner from this match.
"I was focused even in most difficult moments. I was just thinking on victory and went with my 100% in every pont. I didn't let anything draw me away in other direction. Experience thought me that you beat opponents with good play and strong psyche. All the time you have to be positive 'cause there's no perfect match in which you'll serve 20 aces and hit just lines. Errors are inevitable. I try to learn from every defeat, to learn on my mistakes and not to repeat them."

Q: After the match you've shaked hands with Venus with a smile on your face. How does after such a marathon match feel winner and how loser?
"That match was decided by just couple of points. If I was in her shoes and if all that effort was given for nothing, it would be very hard for me. But thats sport, there can't be two winners."

Q: How do you react on your defeats?
"I analyse my game, my mistakes, and then work on eliminating them. You must work hard. Physically I'm naturaly weak and when I don't excercise enough, injury comes. I had couple of injuries in last month and thats why I played bad in Miami. But, after that I've trained very hard and reached my top form in Charleston."

Q: Between two tournaments you've mentioned, you played in Amelia Island, where you lost to Ana Ivanovic. Is there any truth about intolerance between two of you?
"I can only say that Ana is a nice girl and good tennis player. Story about our so called rivalry is totaly created by the media. That's total nonsense and I promise this is the last time I'm comenting that. Instead of that, people (in Serbia) should be proud that Serbia has two players in world top. There will come a time when we won't have any player that good, and we will be able only to recollect how it was great when Ana and I were among the top players in the world."-emotionaly responded Jelena.

Q: But, fact is that you don't have quality comunication, and that Serbian team has never played in strongest combination. Last year only Ana played Fed Cup, this year only you?
"At one time, I publicly called Ana that we play together for Serbia. It would be great if that happened, but it didn't and thats history now. It's not my job to speak why she's not here now in national team. She's got her plans, like every other player, I don't know, maybe she's looking for a new coach? We did play in Amelia Island and in Charleston, but we didn't had any conversation about that."

Q: Lets go back to brighter themes. After his comeback from USA, huge wellcome was organized for Novak Djokovic in Belgrade on City's main square. Have you ever imagined that would happened ever to you, and are you sorry that you didn't experienced such thing yet?
"Honestly, no. I would like to have a huge wellcome when I win one of a Grand Slams. Or when I become World No.1, but I would have to win some Grand Slams for that :lol: Only then I will reckon that I deserve such a wellcoming."

Q: So, when can we expect from you to win a Grand Slam? And which one would you like the most to win?
"Whatever to win, it would be a dream come true. You need a loot of luck to win 7 matches in a row. In such tournament you play 2 or 3 matches great, and in other you're making errors, you fight and try to find a way to win somehow. It's all so unpredictable."

Q: Do you have any favourite surface?
"Before, I thought that I'm not good on clay and now I won one tournament on it. I like all surfaces. Best results I've achieved on concrete, like US open 1/2 final, but every year thats different. Maybe this year I'll play best at Roland Garros....or Wimbledon."

Q: With title at Charleston you've increased your bank account quite a bit. On press conferences during the tournament you had interesting "exchange of oppinions" on that subject with one american journalist.
"That man was unbelievable! Every day he was asking me how do I explain the fact that I'm getting payed for playing match just 40-50 minutes, while male tennis players play 3 hours, and in the end we get same prize money as men? 'Cause he was assertive, I gave him all kinds of answers. I asked him if he would rather watch me in short skirt or maybe....Nikolay Davidenko?!! :lol: After the match with Venus which lasted almost 3 hours, I asked him: Was this match long enough?!! :mad: :angel: We're payed for achieved victories and everyone gets what he\she deserves, winning or losing."

Q: Obviously your presence motivate people to cheer for you and be loud. How do you get along with your fans?
"In Charleston I had supporters from both sides of the court. On one side there were guys that behaved like they know me 100 years, and on the other side was one elderly man. He was cheering all the time and gaving me all kind of advices in match against Venus :lol: He was shouting: 'Hold on', 'You can do it', 'she's animal, but you will win' :lol: :lol: :lol:

Q: You traveled from USA for a day and a half. How do you cope with all the changes of time zones?
"Oh, thats one of the hardest things for me, esspecially when I travel from America back to Europe. At night I can't sleep, in the morning I'm like a zombi, and usually then is when I should get up and play a match. For example, now I didn't manage to sleep at all in the plane. Beside me there was a woman sitting, she was snoring like mad, and I had to watch some movies, tried to close my eyes but haven't slept at all. I'm not the person who takes sleeping pills 'cause I don't want after to fail on a doping test for such a stupid thing"
"Most important for me now is to get a good rest after FED Cup. I will be home in Belgrade for a week, resting, celebrating my good results with my family, and than prepare for tournament in Warsaw."

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Great interview from an even greater player!

Congrats once again Jelena!

·
Registered
52,365 Posts
"In Charleston I had supporters from both sides of the court. On one side there were guys that behaved like they know me 100 years, and on the other side was one elderly man. He was cheering all the time and gaving me some kind of advices in match against Venus :lol: He was shouting: 'Hold on', 'You can do it', 'she's animal, but you will win' :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yikes. :tape:

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Last spring/summer, I remember Jelena saying she doesn't exercise/train, just practice on the courts. But then later on in the year, and even now, she seems much more toned/muscular to me. Does anybody else notice this change?

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
Last spring/summer, I remember Jelena saying she doesn't exercise/train, just practice on the courts. But then later on in the year, and even now, she seems much more toned/muscular to me. Does anybody else notice this change?
Yeah I think as she said in her interview she needed to get physically stronger and fitter to make the next big push in her career and hang tough with the physically stronger fitter girls of the tour.

What an awful thing to shout about Venus - that man is an ass!

·
Registered
358 Posts
She's clearly referring to Venus' aggressive style of play. Relax for f*cks sakes.

Refreshing to see someone talk without any thought of political correctness.

·
Team WTAworld, Lounge Owner
44,144 Posts
Jeca :hearts:

·
Registered
5,227 Posts

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
Yeah, that's our Jelena. :worship: :kiss: :lol: This girl is really something special.:D Thx ivanban.:)

But now coming to the part with that man schouting at her things like: 'Hold on', 'You can do it', 'she's animal, but you will win'. Well, I don't know, but in Germany when you say somebody is an animal it means that he/she is physical very strong and you can take this more as a compliment or even some kind of admiration. But of course I'm not sure if it's the same in the US.:confused: I'm fully aware that there can be a great danger of misinterpretation, especially when you say this to an afro-american. I strongly hope it was more a sign of admiration because Venus is a great athlete and hopefully not to express his hate. :mad: I strongly hope that someday in the very near future we get rid of those feelings and thoughts and we don't even care about those things and we only see us as one race.
And this race is just called: HUMAN!:wavey:

Reactions: drake3781

·
Registered
16,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would imagine that Jelena was laughing like mad during this interview. Well, in fact she's always smiling, and every time I see her on TV I start laughing for no reason :lol:

·
Registered
11,683 Posts
Thanks, ivanban. Great interview :)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
this girl always cracks me up..she has a cute way of putting her words together :D

"...they know me 100 years." :lol:

·
Registered
923 Posts
I really hope she can reach a Slam final soon. She has all the tools, she just has to stop choking and letting her temper get to her.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts