Tennis Forum banner

Family circle cup diary

6K views 77 replies 27 participants last post by  Davenselesport 
#1 ·
I am at the Family Circle Cup every day of every year from sun up until sundown.....I will try to post as much as I can on the away from the media matches

During Qualifying rounds I saw some future super stars.

There were three in particular and one fourth one who is perhaps just slightly less spectacular.

Shahar Peer
Galina Voskoboeava
Sanda Mamic
and the slightly less spectacular but great nevertheless - viktoriya Kutuzova. I really didn't get to see enough of her though, she may be just as spectacular, but I just didn't think she moved as well as the other three.

Don't be fooled by the fact that Sanda Mamic didn't qualify.....she is Very talented. She must of hit at least 10 aces with a fast and well placed, lefty serve....very competitive, very sharp ...

mainly fatique at her young age seemed to be the problem. She clearly dictated the match versus kristina brandi. Brandi was like a back board though, and wore down the youngster from time to time. But it won't be long before this is a top player.

Same with Voskoboeva. Very talented - very accurate shots. Line after line after line she hit all day against domingues lino. She did qualifty so i will definitely watch her tomorrow.

Shahar Peer, is pretty much a well known "unknown" hehe. So If you haven't seen her yet, keep your eyes out....but most people do know what she will be doing in the near future.

I was just very impressed by those three in particular, but Kutuzova is also very talented.

---------------------some random notes-------------------------

Also for Seda Noorlander fans...she had the misfortune of player Peer in the Q's, but she looked really good for the first set (which she won). Her shots seemed to be in form.

Laura Granville fans --- she looked pretty good the first round of q's....she dug in there and fought for every point. Of course she does not have a lot of offensive weapons...but she is certainly a fighter.

I did see Justine walking around, but i didn't get to see her practicing.

I did get to catch some of Dementieva....she looked good.

Tathiana Garbin looks very fit this year. She has really gotten pretty leaner and more muscle definition.

Its a shame that Pennetta dropped out, because I have never seen her play in person.

well i will hopefully post some more from main draw action. Gotta get some rest for another full day (oh goodness and then tuesday night matches begin...so my days will be very long!)

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah i thought of that too....in all of the cases of the 4 girls but especially hers because she was hitting lines all day long!.....so that might have been a special day.

I did see pelletier briefly...but i will make a special note to check her out for you..and i will try to get a picture for you too.

#10 ·
I did get to see shahar v vaidislova today.....I am even more impressed with her even though she lost. She won the first set nicely.....let vaidislova back in the second set though. Then in the tie break vaidislova went up 4-1. Shahar came up with some real nice stuff to get ahead again and even have match points....i think she ended up losing the tie break like 10-8 or something...and that may have taken the wind out her sails on that day.
But I saw her later and she looked fine about it.

Unfortunately i could not watch any of the voskoboeva match....i had to do some stuff for the tournament. Anyway...her match had to be moved to a practice court due to a problem with the clay on the court 5. Well...i sure would have liked the opportunity to reevaluate her.

I watch a portion of the pelletier match and got a picture...it might not be a great picture....but luckily she is still in...so i will post it later...and hopefully get another picture. i have to get up at 330am to do some errands for the tournament again....so i cannot post it tonight though. Her match was a little weird, both players would hit a nice shot and then the next into the net. I didn't see the third set...so maybe she ironed out some stuff.

Justine looked good. She missed a few shots...but she went for them anyway...so she should be in full form in no time.

I will check out silvias match....i caught some of garbins today also...not her day at all today. She missed a lot of stuff.

Randriantefy also....she played well for most of the match....but would all of the sudden try some low percentage stuff on huge points (like set point against her in the first she tried tentative drop shot from the base line) Well...there will be other days for Dally.

#11 ·
Thank you Rafe and Graf_fan. These player reports are great, and it also
means alot to me for some real honest evaluations of where Justine's at.

#17 ·
Okay...i will try to get some drake pics

Today was very interesting. stay tuned zvonereva fans!

Okay...first I watched Razzano v Raymond. I must confess I am a Razzano fan, and this is the second time she has come to charleston. The first time was three years ago and she lost her second qualifier. this year she got into the main draw....but the same thing happened as two years ago. It almost feels like she gets "shy"...more than nervous....if she gets behind on some bad shots, it seems like things can unravel pretty quickly as if she just wants to get off the court. Thats too bad. She is fun to watch

For Raymond fans....as i said i pretty much was partisan ....but it seemed like Raymond wont go too far in the tourney the way she played today. but she had the crowd support in this one....i think Razzano can't handle that either.

Next I went to the stadium to check out Pierce. my oh my i never thought mary would get back in shape but she must be 30 lbs lighter than two years ago when she upset Myskina here. I don't recall seeing her last year....i can't even remember right now if she came here last year. Pierce is always a crowd favorite here. She got so much applause etc...but she is used to that here...we definitely treat her right.

Mashona washington played a good match....but Pierce looks really great. too good.

Next i skipped back to club court...where kostanic had taken the first set and had Farina Elia down 3-0 in the second. Well i don't know how silvia played the first set but down 3-0 she played very well....she came back and pulled ahead in the second....the rallies were long, the points were well played...balls that should be winners were run down.....it was a crowd pleaser. Kostanic finally pulled it out though.

Okay....match of the day....zvonereva v. Benesova...this is one of the hidden stories we don't get to see just looking at an online scoreboard:

About into the second game or so....i don't know what happened, and i don't know if anyone else does either because I didnt hear much chatter....but vera got ticked off about something. I could see her from where i was standing, but she pointed and said some things in russian to herself....and then got angry at the ball kids....and took the balls one by one and basically hurried her service and lost her serve at love.

She then started playing again....but many many many times during this match she would have continual outbursts of anger , tears and at changoevers on games she would lose she would throw something....the first few times a racquet...then later a water bottle...another time a towel....

well the play of these two players was EXCELLENT...this match was truly a classic....but that only mystifies vera's conduct even more. She continued to yell and cry and throw things until the crowd went completely against her. I was still finding myself clapping for her though...deep down i wanted her to win too.

the points were long and contentious....the standard of play was HIGHLY EXCELLENT....well....the drama grew and grew....advantages...deuces....ad...duece every point a battle....you could hear a pin drop during the drama....

okay....well...a couple of times some audience members clapped when vera hit the ball into the net....and she started to yell at them in english...about how ridiculous that was etc. everything she said was not audible....

as i mentioned i still wanted her to win....i thought everone has a bad day...and she is having hers in front of 3000 people standing room only on a small show court. But then she lost and she came to the net....and of course we are all living in the post schnyder hand shake era in charleston ( i think i saw patty in the clubhouse watching this meltdown take place)....benesova came to the net....and yes ....a handshake did occur....and then i realized....

that throughout this entire entire match....that was nothing but a huge tirade on the part of vera zvonereva....and huge drama....and nerves and long points of excellent play with huge moments at stake....i realized that benesova had not once gave a grimmace...a loook of dismay...or enjoyment....or anything....she was graceful in her win....she kept focus....

and it wasn't until the end of the match....when she got a huge standing ovation that lasted a minute or more....that i realized the right person won. Sometimes i am a little slow!!!!

okay...anyway...that was a weird thing...maybe some zvonereva fans know if this is her history....she has always been charming in charleston though.

dementieva...looked great. jidkova played well...dementieva too good.

i didnt stay for the second night match because i am soooooooo tired.

more tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!! i love this week every year!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#19 ·
:lol:
"post schynder handshake era in Charleston"

I like Vera alot; but there she goes again, being way to harsh on
herself. She's got to learn that it's not going to be perfect or right
everytime. It's ok to play ugly and still win or play good, and somehow
lose the advantages. I'd wish she grow up or hire some help to
do something about the angst.

Great report. :)

#23 ·
graf_fan_ said:
Next I went to the stadium to check out Pierce. my oh my i never thought mary would get back in shape but she must be 30 lbs lighter than two years ago when she upset Myskina here. I don't recall seeing her last year....i can't even remember right now if she came here last year. Pierce is always a crowd favorite here. She got so much applause etc...but she is used to that here...we definitely treat her right.
Yeah, Mary gets a lot of support at Indian Wells, also. I think she is well liked all across the U.S. Actually, during one of her matches at Indian Wells, someone shouted "Go USA!" after she won a point ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.