Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
F1 plans to build a race track at the Miami Hard Rock Stadium site, where the Miami tennis open is played.
So, the Hard Rock will have three different sports at the site: American football, Tennis and F1 racing.
F1 fans are already complaining about the track. They are saying that the track, which will be jammed into the stadium parking area will produce very boring racing.
The local politicians have approved the plan, with a lot of grease to the local community.
The proposed track appears to run along side of the tennis complex. (see track layout below with the tennis center at the bottom left in dark blue.)
-

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
F1 racing has failed time after time in the USA, and this track looks like it has failure written all over it.
But, possibly the local Hispanic community in Miami will make it a success.
F1 tracks that have failed in the USA: Phoenix, Detroit, Watkins Glen (NY), Dallas, Las Vegas ( Caesars Palace parking lot), Riverside ( Calif), Sebring ( Florida), Indianapolis, and Long Beach( Calif).
What effect the F1 track will have on the Miami Tennis Open is unknown at this time. Possibly little effect.

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
I am optimistic about this one. They have signed a 10 year contract in Miami. I'm sure they have learnt from their previous experiences to get this off the ground. They have had a race in Austin that's been successful thus far. I don't know about the crowd but it will surely get the celebs in which will help marketing the race along with a mega star like lewis hamilton.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Typical American "not invented here" syndrome.
Most of the big well known sports were invented in Britain.
Basketball and Volleyball were invented in the northeast USA to give the kids an indoor sport to play in the wintertime.
American football is a modification of Rugby. American baseball is a modification of Cricket.
Auto racing began in Europe, after the invention of the gasoline powered car by Karl Benz in about 1880.

·
Registered
7,739 Posts
Maybe race tracks that are not oval are just too complex for them
As seen in the Indycar race in Alabama on Sunday, when one of the leaders spun on a straight stretch on the first lap, causing all sorts of mayhem. Amazingly everyone walked away uninjured - and the perpetrator later apologised on TV. :oops:

·
Art & Futures
21,115 Posts
it's fine as long as they don't play during miami tennis open. maybe they can move the displaced tennis courts to somewhere else.

·
Registered
10,058 Posts

·
Registered
32,445 Posts
Half of the practice courts will be destroyed to accommodate that. No one seems to like this venue. Stupid local politics in Key Biscayne ruined a beautiful tournament.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Half of the practice courts will be destroyed to accommodate that. No one seems to like this venue. Stupid local politics in Key Biscayne ruined a beautiful tournament.
Players love it, fans hate it. I have not seen a player quoted yet who said they do not prefer it due to better accomodations and less wind but fans its like 70-30 dislike

·
Registered
80 Posts
Would be difficult to make the "feel" of this tournament any worse, so whatever.

·
Registered
32,445 Posts
Players love it, fans hate it. I have not seen a player quoted yet who said they do not prefer it due to better accomodations and less wind but fans its like 70-30 dislike
Quotes are one thing, the fact that players still use a Crandon to practice speaks volumes. Not to ,emotion that players still stay in downtown Miami/Brickell, which are much closer to Crandon.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts