Tennis Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Re: Extensive stats: The present top 10 players at the previous 4 GS!

The thread title is a bit misleading, of course, as it does no represent the present top 10 players but players who were the top 10 at the given time (and it's no longer the 4 previous GS either!). Any suggestions for a better thread title?
Extensive stats: The present top 10 players at the previous 4 GS! APRIL 2010

Thanks for the dendrograms! The cluster analysis is a really interesting way to look at similarities, but I'll just have to stress the fact that the set of data analyzed is relatively small (as I'm sure you've realized yourself): It's just 4 tournaments in a timespan of 8 months, which means that any shifts in forms of the players or any slight injuries in this 8 months period may (probably) have a large impact on the resulting stats.
sure, but you work with what you can. outside of grand slams, you can't find such detailed stats on the matches, which is a shame - a bigger and better sample would keep some of us stat nerds busy for weeks.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Re: Extensive stats: The present top 10 players at the previous 4 GS!

Thread title changed! Thanks :yeah:

Extensive stats: The present top 10 players at the previous 4 GS! APRIL 2010sure, but you work with what you can. outside of grand slams, you can't find such detailed stats on the matches, which is a shame - a bigger and better sample would keep some of us stat nerds busy for weeks.
Of course. As mentioned in my previous post I might have a go at another set of stats after US Open. Maybe I can present combined match stats from 8 consecutive grand slams (all slams since AO 2009). I'm not sure my next attempt will have 10 players; maybe there will be just 8 players or so but I may throw in some new ones like Schiavone, Sharapova, Zvonareva, or Na Li, or whoever seems interesting at that time (ranking being the most obvious criteria, but not necessarily the only one). I'm quite sure the stats won't be as extensive as in this thread.

All suggestions are welcome.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts