Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I've read that this idea - idea of extension of NBA by 2010 into Europe is being seriously discussed. I could imagine same idea for NHL ( other two big American sports are not popular over there, so, no chance ).

Do you think it could work?

·
Registered
18,948 Posts
what...you mean transferring the leagues entirely to Europe? Or European teams that compete in the NHL/NBA? The former...could definently work in Europe...the latter, no. Scheduling would be a nightmare.

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GBFH said:
what...you mean transferring the leagues entirely to Europe? Or European teams that compete in the NHL/NBA? The former...could definently work in Europe...the latter, no. Scheduling would be a nightmare.
No, they talk about true extension.. Say European teams as a part of NHL..

Yes scheduling is diffcult but not impossible. Think about having a team in each of Paris, Munich, Rome and Moscow.. How huge would the market gain be..

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
Teams bitch about all the travel the west coast teams do in the NHL as it is. Can you imagine that amount of travel? Ponderous, fucking ponderous. Maybe if they folded some teams that are here now and have a conference that is just Europe and only play them come championship.

·
Registered
18,948 Posts
ys said:
No, they talk about true extension.. Say European teams as a part of NHL..

Yes scheduling is diffcult but not impossible. Think about having a team in each of Paris, Munich, Rome and Moscow.. How huge would the market gain be..
What you're saying is a nice idea...but the NHL is overextended as it is. Maybe if, say, ten teams were contracted it could be possible. Would you still be able to do inter-conference play if a bunch of teams were in Europe?

·
Registered
18,948 Posts
Damnit, Steam, you type too fast.

It's ponderous, fucking ponderous. Goddamn, I wish I still had that bit.

·
Registered
18,948 Posts
I think it'd be a bad idea since part of the appeal of the NHL to me is the inter-conference play. I like seeing the Stars play Philly, NJ, or Toronto during the season.

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Steam said:
Teams bitch about all the travel the west coast teams do in the NHL as it is. Can you imagine that amount of travel? Ponderous, fucking ponderous. Maybe if they folded some teams that are here now and have a conference that is just Europe and only play them come championship.
It could be not much of extra travel really. Take, for instance, the model used in a Southern Hemipshere rugby competition named Super 12. 12 teams from Australia, NZ, and South Africa. It's bigger distances. Applying it to , say, NHL.. For instance, if they have a Division of 5 teams in Europe, teams from the same Conference would fly over there, play a string of all 10 away games there, and that would be it. Teams from another Conference would have played only 5 games. Of course, play-offs would have to be restructured in this case. Not 2-2-1-1-1, but rather 4-3 or 3-4 series. Not impossible.

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
GBFH said:
Damnit, Steam, you type too fast.

It's ponderous, fucking ponderous. Goddamn, I wish I still had that bit.
You are the one who types too fast. Once in a while though I get the edge in though.

You can probably make a few CDs of them goofing on that bit.

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
ys said:
It could be not much of extra travel really. Take, for instance, the model used in a Southern Hemipshere rugby competition named Super 12. 12 teams from Australia, NZ, and South Africa. It's bigger distances. Applying it to , say, NHL.. For instance, if they have a Division of 5 teams in Europe, teams from the same Conference would fly over there, play a string of all 10 away games there, and that would be it. Teams from another Conference would have played only 5 games. Of course, play-offs would have to be restructured in this case. Not 2-2-1-1-1, but rather 4-3 or 3-4 series. Not impossible.
I don't know how well that would work. Seems to be almost as bad as that ridiculous World League of football.

·
Registered
18,948 Posts
Steam said:
You are the one who types too fast. Once in a while though I get the edge in though.

You can probably make a few CDs of them goofing on that bit.
Bah, maybe you think too fast.

ahhh....still no word on them getting another gig?

·
Registered
18,948 Posts
ys said:
It just seems crazy...would the NHL have to switch to International standards? No red line, larger rinks? I don't think many owners would be willing to give up millions in revenue from those first few rows of seats to accomodate.

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
GBFH said:
Bah, maybe you think too fast.

ahhh....still no word on them getting another gig?
I am very quick witted.

I haven't heard anything but haven't looked either. On a side note, Opie seems to have resurrected his old AOL screenname though. I guess he can't afford the ultrafast broadband anymore. That thing hasn't been used in quite some time.

·
Registered
18,948 Posts
Steam said:
I am very quick witted.

I haven't heard anything but haven't looked either. On a side note, Opie seems to have resurrected his old AOL screenname though. I guess he can't afford the ultrafast broadband anymore. That thing hasn't been used in quite some time.
Indeed.

Well why don't you ask him?

·
Registered
18,948 Posts
Steam said:
Cause I didn't feel the need to bother him. He used to reply to me though. He was a pretty cool guy.
Cool when he wasn't going opie on you.

Oh...hockey segment on Sportscenter. Did you see Barry on during halftime tonight? NHL is desperate for ratings. It's sad.

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
GBFH said:
It just seems crazy...would the NHL have to switch to International standards? No red line, larger rinks? I don't think many owners would be willing to give up millions in revenue from those first few rows of seats to accomodate.
Standards are no problem. They could play on larger rink there, smaller rinks here. Or something else. That's technicality. The only reasonable problem is indeed scheduling. Think about how much more money could they make from TV right sales, also from advertisements which would then be reaching the second biggest market in the world..

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
GBFH said:
Cool when he wasn't going opie on you.

Oh...hockey segment on Sportscenter. Did you see Barry on during halftime tonight? NHL is desperate for ratings. It's sad.
Nah, he was always cool. His brother was cool as well, he gave me a copy of replica baseball cards he made of O&A for their first softball game.

I missed the halftime thing but yes, they are desparate. How else do you explain Berman? Which of course, begs the question, who the fuck tunes in just to see Berman?

I am against this idea for the sole reason that the Devils would be hated all over the world instead of just in North America.

·
Registered
18,948 Posts
ys said:
Standards are no problem. They could play on larger rink there, smaller rinks here. Or something else. That's technicality. The only reasonable problem is indeed scheduling. Think about how much more money could they make from TV right sales, also from advertisements which would then be reaching the second biggest market in the world..
Technicality? well how about consistency? I imagine more goals would be scored in Europe, and players on those teams would have an unfair advantage in competing for the Art Ross and Maurice Richard trophies. They either need to have all NHL-standards, or all int'l-standards. Can't have both.

However, haven't you said more than once ys that you don't like the north american game? Don't you think a lot of Europeans share that opinion? So how can we be sure the NHL would be a success there?

·
Registered
18,948 Posts
Steam said:
Nah, he was always cool. His brother was cool as well, he gave me a copy of replica baseball cards he made of O&A for their first softball game.

I missed the halftime thing but yes, they are desparate. How else do you explain Berman? Which of course, begs the question, who the fuck tunes in just to see Berman?

I am against this idea for the sole reason that the Devils would be hated all over the world instead of just in North America.
That's cool. Every time I went to NY, they were on vacation...but damn, they played some funny stuff.

Berman....good lord....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts