Tennis Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now MUCHOVA is elevated to the [10] SEED :hysteric:

SAISAI, Carla withdraw after MD is out, joining [WC] KVITOVA, KONTA, YASTREMSKA, KONTAVEIT on the sidelines

are these players really injured or it is just they arrived at the site in the Bronx and realized it is not the NYC that they know :hysteric:

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Happens before every grandslam Saisai-goat. But I think Kvitova and Carla are legit injured. Unsure about the rest, Kontaveit may just be precaution. Yastremska probably wants to go deep, same with Konta. Don't really care about Saisai but probably has an itf in Beijing or something.
Konta has 0 wins on the HCs this summer. She needed the Bronx more than any other player to find some kind of form. Otherwise, she will be a walking bye in the first round. Especially, should she draw unseeded and rejuvenated Kuznetsova.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Konta has 0 wins on the HCs this summer. She needed the Bronx more than any other player to find some kind of form. Otherwise, she will be a walking bye in the first round. Especially, should she draw unseeded and rejuvenated Kuznetsova.
I dunno, I think the rest will do her good. She surprised us at the French open after a mediocre clay season. This hard court is much worse but Konta is a good player and can raise her level when her head isn't to cloudy or she doesn't invest too much time whinging

·
Registered
14,706 Posts
Wow another withdrawal can’t really blame the week before a Slam why do players enter? ��
Particularly the pre French and pre US Open tournaments suffer the most.

Probably because there is a longer preparation period loaded with plenty tune-ups before those two slams than before AO & Wimby

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I dunno, I think the rest will do her good. She surprised us at the French open after a mediocre clay season. This hard court is much worse but Konta is a good player and can raise her level when her head isn't to cloudy or she doesn't invest too much time whinging
Jo Konta didn't have a mediocre clay court season but had one of the most successful spells of her career. She was runner up in Rabat and Rome and later semi finalist in Paris. Even when she lost in the 2nd round in Madrid it was to Simona Halep.

·
Registered
53,695 Posts
Another disaster draw for this week on the calendar.

Honestly, they deserve no tournament in this spot, because clearly nobody give AF about it.
This is an International after all. With a better draw than many International tournaments and a cut-off well into the top 100.

Late withdrawals right before a Slam is the norm but to say this is a disaster draw or that nobody cares about it is really stupid.

·
King
28,532 Posts
How is stupid? How is it not a disaster? Literally all of the name players, and even highly ranked vultures, in this tournament pulled out overnight.

It’s fine that your standards for these sort of events have dropped so low that you think this is the “norm”, but it’s not good for the tour in terms of promoting and getting funding mid-level events such as this whatever way you look at it. But sure, “stupid”.

·
Registered
10,844 Posts
Wasn't there 7 LL spots for New Haven last year?

Top players shouldn't commit in the first place, waste of time.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Christ, another seed, Tomljanovic, is out now, so Blinkova comes in as yet another LL. Wang Qiang has a bye to round 2 and the 6 players in her little section en route to the SF consists of 3 LL, a Q, a WC and the only player to have qualified directly by ranking is Buzarnescu, who is now ranked 136. What a joke.

9 top 50 players have withdrawn.

·
Registered
17,452 Posts
It's sad how nobody seems to be responsible anymore.
The tour used to be a balance of giving and taking between players as audiences.
It's more and more getting a story of taking until there's no audience left paying for what's to take.

This is not the way. I don't know who to blame. Maybe those players are asked to enter for promotion only, who cares. This sells a ticket for one year, but the audience won't be in for that gamble another time.

Something has to happen, this is a concerning development.

·
Registered
17,345 Posts
I wonder what Billie Jean King thinks about that. Was that what she was fighting for? The ladies are jeopardizing everything what she has achieved with such a behaviour. And it can't be just the schedule. New Haven was a great tournament around 2000. With champions like Lindsay Davenport, Venus Williams or Steffi Graf. They all had no problem to play right before a slam and give enough to win the event.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Jo Konta didn't have a mediocre clay court season but had one of the most successful spells of her career. She was runner up in Rabat and Rome and later semi finalist in Paris. Even when she lost in the 2nd round in Madrid it was to Simona Halep.
I stand corrected. Was getting her abysmal f.o record before this year confused with her win loss for this year's clay season!

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Players saving themselves for the US Open is nothing new. I'd rather see them withdraw than tank their first match.
Then they shouldn't commit to the tournament if all they want to do is save themselves. It's understandable if players are injured, like Kvitova (who had taken a WC) and CSN, or they've played a ton of tennis, like Sakkari, who's played 3 straight weeks. But a player like Collins has been sub-.500 since making the AO SF and is looking more and more like a walking bye. Konta has 0 wins since Wimbledon, and if anybody needed this tournament, it would have been her. And she was one of first players to commit. She's going to be a walking bye. And it wouldn't shock me if she draws Kuznetsova or even teen sensation Coco, and loses.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts