Tennis Forum banner

201 - 220 of 222 Posts

·
Member of Rena's Army
16,176 Posts
Tiafoe won ONE set this week...and managed to drag down all of the Mixed ties. I REALLY don't get how he's 39 in the world. I mean y'all the guy lost 76 61 to a player ranked 90....

TIAFOE change career. P.S. he ended USA's HC bid on a DF ... and laughed. Serena was over it.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Tiafoe won ONE set this week...and managed to drag down all of the Mixed ties. I REALLY don't get how he's 39 in the world. I mean y'all the guy lost 76 61 to a player ranked 90....

TIAFOE change career. P.S. he ended USA's HC bid on a DF ... and laughed. Serena was over it.

He’s 39 in the world???? :help:

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
In a way this is a good thing. Serena will get more time to rest and prepare for Melbourne. I think Hopman Cup was great practice for her. She won all her singles matches and got through the tough stretches, which will definitely help her in Melbourne. If anything, I think she's in a better place than she was last year. I would love to see her do what she did in NY, and focus hard on finishing points at net. I think it will do wonders for her.

If anything, this exposed the joke that is US Men's Tennis, especially Tiafoe. It exposed the obvious problems with a lot of young American players. Serena carried this whole event single handedly. I'm looking forward to big things in Melbourne.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
In a way this is a good thing. Serena will get more time to rest and prepare for Melbourne. I think Hopman Cup was great practice for her. She won all her singles matches and got through the tough stretches, which will definitely help her in Melbourne. If anything, I think she's in a better place than she was last year. I would love to see her do what she did in NY, and focus hard on finishing points at net. I think it will do wonders for her.

If anything, this exposed the joke that is US Men's Tennis, especially Tiafoe. It exposed the obvious problems with a lot of young American players. Serena carried this whole event single handedly. I'm looking forward to big things in Melbourne.

American men’s tennis (and women’s tbh outside of Venus and Serena (and don’t start on me with Reptar)) has been wading in the toilet since Roddick shit his pants for the final time in 2009. A decade of absolutely nothing besides an Isn’tner Miami title? :help: Thanks, Trump.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I will give Tiafoe the excuse that he’s only 20 and he’s super immature. It was obnoxious to see him laughing and giggling so much when Serena was going all out, and his talent is questionable, but at 20 he’s probably not mature enough to understand he’s playing with the GOAT in possibly her last HC exho. Out of respect he should have played his hardest and trained a little beforehand. Regardless, I think Serena wanted to give him this opportunity and hopefully he grows up a little from it all.

·
Registered
84,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
This Tiafoe really lost every match :help: in singles ok but even with Serena (!!) in doubles :lol:..he is so horrible.

·
Rena's Army
34,943 Posts
Tiafoe took Laver cup more serious than slam prep :unsure: even though it's not official most players take it seriously enough because it's really good prep after weeks off. he can check his own atp players zverev and federer. it's not all hits and giggles.

·
Registered
84,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #211

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
This was all good for the queen. At the end of the day she won all her matches. There was some really good play and some not so great play. But she hasnt played a match since the tragedy last September so thats to be expected. Her instincts are still there and her desire (even at a damn EXHO) was very evident and makes me happy. This woman wants to win and wont give up til she does. Excited for Melbourne. Over the next 2 weeks hopes she keeps practicing non stop.

·
Registered
14,638 Posts
This was all good for the queen. At the end of the day she won all her matches. There was some really good play and some not so great play. But she hasn't played a match since the tragedy last September so thats to be expected. Her instincts are still there and her desire (even at a damn EXHO) was very evident and makes me happy. This woman wants to win and wont give up til she does. Excited for Melbourne. Over the next 2 weeks hopes she keeps practicing non stop.
And even though it's been said that her arm is sore, and even though Big FOE was a bust as her partner, Ree managed to get enough play out of the tournament virtually in tact physically, with not a lot of activity on the court this off-season, and coming into 2019 in decent shape--much better shape than she was coming into 2018's season. Same for Vee. Ree will assess what she has to work on and of course work on those things and in 2 weeks, she'll be heading to Melbourne to try to DO that damn thang with her nuclear family--Alexis Sr. Alexis Jr and Jr's daughter and Ree's grandbaby Qai Qai--in the stands :drive:

Keep Ree and Vee HEALTHY in all ways for as much of the remainder of their careers Jehovah .....

·
Registered
698 Posts
All in all, a satisfactory Hopman Cup for Serena despite the fact that the US lost all 3 of their ties. Serena won all 3 of her singles matches and overall got the chance to play 6 warmup matches, which is more than she could have played in a regular warmup tournament. While her form wasn't something to write home about, I'd like to point out that I was very pleased with the determination she showed in her matches, which isn't something we see very often with Serena in exhibition matches. It's quite evident that becoming a mother hasn't at all hindered her desire to win. Best of luck at the AO!

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
In Australia, I'm gonna be looking to see if Serena will do what she did briefly at the US Open, and come to the net more and finish off points. To me, that will be critical, especially once the 2nd week begins. That's one aspect of her game that could really pay off, especially against the tougher opponents. They expect her to play her typical, hard-hitting game, so this would change things up somewhat. Australia has been the one slam where she thrives the most, and I'm optimistic this year will be no different.

·
Registered
14,186 Posts
Australia seems to be the one slam where she can consistently deal with adversity, the pressure, opponents treeing and change up tactics mid match, without letting the pressure weigh her down, which she has done at the other slams.

For those reasons, I am optimistic about this month! :D

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Australia is lowkey Serena’s favorite slam. Heck, she named her daughter after it. I definitely think she has the best chance here out of all other slams and it is the least “tainted” by bad memories.

Looking back, she tied BJK at 12 here, tied Helen Wills Moody (and passed Navritilova and Evert) at 19 here, and finally passed Graf at 23 here. How fitting would it be for her to now tie Court in her home turf.

The fact that she’s either tied or passed the most elusive records in tennis at the Australian Open goes to show that she is most comfortable here. Something about it gets her in the zone. Even her sole slam loss here was a nail biter and is still her only three-set loss at a major. Every other major loss only went 2 sets.

With all that being said, good luck Queen and after two back to back finals, this one is yours. Let this be a repeat of 2016 Wimbledon after two straight slam losses. You got this!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts

Are you sure? No shade here, just genuinely interested in the connection between Australia and the name Olympia. I always connected Olympia with ancient Greece :lol:
Okay, I think it just worked out perfectly but they named “Olympia” Alexis Ohanian, and Olympia is her middle name. So her initials are AO. I mean, I’m sure it was a cute little nod to the fact that Olympia was in her mommas belly when she won Grand Slam #23 in Australia but it also worked out perfectly since her last name was going to be Ohanian and her father wanted her to be a Jr.

201 - 220 of 222 Posts