1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
18,140 Posts
:yawn:

·
it's just me against the music.
27,316 Posts
Is it an excellent article because Venus and Serena are #1 or is it actually excellent? :eek:

We all know Venus and Serena are the top two players in the world on their best days. Fact is, the WTA tour events need to be worth something. Venus cannot be losing to Lisicki in Round of 16s and Serena cannot bomb out in the US Hardcourt Season and Fall seasons every single year.

Come on now.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
ok, here's the deal people...it really isn't rocket science...

Safina has amassed 8951 points over the past year, and by my calculations, though I may be wrong, 8951 is a larger number than 8272 which is Serena's amassed total...

logically, the person who has the higher number of points should be Number 1 right? or wrong?

Venus has amassed 7102 points over the past year, and guess what, this is the FIFTH highest amount of points amassed! hmmm could this mean her ranking is No.5?!!?!! shock horror! YES IT IS!

who would have thought a player who has amassed the 5th highest amount of points would be ranked...you guessed it, FIFTH!

you get my point, get the f*@! over it!

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
oh and one more thing, GUESS what people...majors AREN'T the only tournaments to award ranking points...did that ever occur to you?!?! omg shoot the vicar, players can gain ranking points from playing and doing well in events outside the majors, THUS aiding their conquest to trump those who do well in the slams and at no other tournaments!?!? is this plausible!?

yep, yep it is...

i'm at the point now where i want Safina to stay number 1 for a VERY long time, JUST to piss off the morons who constantly moan how Serena or Venus aren't number 1...get a hobby, pleas

Reactions: AnnaMariaMartina

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
http://www.tennisweek.com/features/fullstory.sps?inewsid=6631644#top

best and most sensibel article i have read on the rankings, serena and venus would be 1 and 2 in the world based on this system
I'm a big Venus fan but I have to say, even before reading the article, that the fact that V&S would be 1,2 does NOT mean it's a good system.

Okay, I've read it. And he glosses over the essence of the arguement. The author thinks ranking should reflect who the best players are, in order. IF that's the reason we have computerized rankings, then it's a fine article. I do not believe that is why we have computerized rankings.

·
Banned
7,113 Posts
In 1999 Davenport won Wimbedon and beat Hingis in the year end Championships — and reached the semis of two other majors. Davenport won the same number of tournaments as Hingis that year — seven — and held a 3-1 head-to-head advantage over Hingis. Hingis lost in the first round of Wimbledon that year. But Hingis compiled more points overall than Lindsay, and edged her out for the top spot. Again quantity over quality.
Had no idea about that.

·
Registered
15,098 Posts
actually

Venus and Serena doesnt have to be ranked 1 and 2..!!!

aslong as they are in the opposite side of the draw...
that is all that matters

·
Registered
15,098 Posts
Had no idea about that.
In 1999
i think hingis went
WIN-Finals-1r-Finals-Finals(yec)

i think other than that Wimbledon first round..
she didnt lose before the semis in her other tournaments
:D

·
Registered
15,098 Posts
can you summarize the long article?

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
ok, here's the deal people...it really isn't rocket science...

Safina has amassed 8951 points over the past year, and by my calculations, though I may be wrong, 8951 is a larger number than 8272 which is Serena's amassed total...

logically, the person who has the higher number of points should be Number 1 right? or wrong?

Venus has amassed 7102 points over the past year, and guess what, this is the FIFTH highest amount of points amassed! hmmm could this mean her ranking is No.5?!!?!! shock horror! YES IT IS!

who would have thought a player who has amassed the 5th highest amount of points would be ranked...you guessed it, FIFTH!

you get my point, get the f*@! over it!

:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

·
Sabatini lover Forever
15,213 Posts

·
Sabatini lover Forever
15,213 Posts
In 1999
i think hingis went
WIN-Finals-1r-Finals-Finals(yec)

i think other than that Wimbledon first round..
she didnt lose before the semis in her other tournaments
:D
Hingis reached 3 grand slam finals in 1999 IMO, she deserved the top of the rankings. Davenport only got to 1 grand slam final.

Even in 1998 Hingis reached 2 grand slam finals, winning one, and won the YEC, while Davenport reached RU at YEC and won the Usopen and deserved the top spot more than Lindsay. But it was Davenport who ended number one by a fair margin.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
It is an excellent article for only those who reason and think logically and regarded as rubbish by the chronic haters of the Williams.WTA ranking system is a disgrace and speaks volume about the management.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts