Tennis Forum banner

261 - 280 of 287 Posts

·
Read Only
21 Posts
I wouldn’t call Serena’s fans very cool either, remember the booing in America, U.S. Open, 2018 ??
Now THAT was scary ! Personally, I like Simona very much for never giving up, especially in difficult situations. You can expect a thriller whenever she plays. I like very much the way she learned to ‘open up the court’ as well as her famous backhand-down-the line. She saved a lot of match points against her over the past couple of years, and in my days as a young tennis player, people would make me look up to players like Borg and Mc. Enroe as truly professionals for doing the same thing. I even like the fact that a significant part of the WTA Tournament income comes from her international fans. But there are some things that I find not so cool about her : I don’t like the frienship she has with Illie Nastase and her attitude towards Jo Konta - at the time, and I don’t like the way she takes breaks in between Grand Slams and the way she travelled around with a heavy back injury, just to save her bonus and be in for the second year end number one ranking position. She scooped away a wildcard in Moscow that in my opinion belonged to Angelique Kerber. Her best tournament ever was Wimbledon, last year, and she was recuperating well with a great start in 2020. She, herself, is already planning a life beyond being a WTA tennis player, and I wish her all the best - just hope she will make one more move that would make the circle complete for her : A Grand Slam win on hardcourt !

·
Registered
867 Posts
I don't hate Halep. She's a good player and fun to watch, love her personality.
But sometimes her fake louder grunt make me annoyed.

and the worst, her fan who always clap and yell "SI-Mo-NA, SI-MO-NA, SI-MO-NA"

·
Read Only
21 Posts
I understand that you get annoyed. But Serena’s outbursts are even worse. She starts grunting when the ball is entirely over the net, which can be very annoying and confusing. I personally don’t mind the way her fans celebrate the show, it contributies to the atmosphere, in my opinion. Maybe you don’t like the Fed Cup atmosphere either ?

·
Registered
25,056 Posts
She also sent TrollPova into GM retirement by winning slams. 🥳
Graduating law school and finding a career sent TrollPova into GM retirement. Clearly I haven’t been retired from your mind though sweetie

·
Milk and honey
3,413 Posts
I wouldn’t say she’s so “hated”, certainly not now and even in the 2014-15 days, it is just tennisforum which as we know is hardly representative of all of most tennis fans.

I admit that I disliked Halep before, for a multitude of reasons. Some were not fair, but some were. What I’m about to post is by no means a scathing attack on her, just my personal opinion, before the inevitable pitchforks come out. Something that has always made it difficult for me to like, or even respect Simona, has been her weak stance on equal pay. She repeatedly said in the past that men should be paid more in tennis and on other occasions was not fully in support of equal pay - all this whilst number one, which really undermined the wta and it’s message imo. Another huge issue I had, and still have, is her supporting of the sexist buffoon Illie Nastase. I get that he is Romanian, and one of the greatest players by a country mile, but he has made so many horrendous sexist and racist comments in the past that she has not distanced herself from, and even somewhat excused in the past. These two items alone, for me, were enough.

I accept she’s a very down to earth person who is pleasant, respectful and fairly humble, so I don’t have a problem with her on a personal level. In the past I used to be very annoyed, as most people did, by the claims of Henin 2.0 all the time, when Simona actually has quite a one dimensional game. Now, having a fairly one dimensional game is not the end of the world and I don’t judge her for that (I mean, look who I stan), but considering she rarely resorts to lobs, effective slices or drop shots, and examples are purely cherry picked by those who try to suggest otherwise, she is by no means a player with great variety. What she does posses is a great ability to create angles off her ground strokes and redirect pace, especially off the backhand wing for the latter. These days, she has earned my respect on the court through her consistency and achievements, as after Serena and Maria (perhaps Kerber as well due to the three slams although I’m not sure) she has been the most successful and consistent player of the decade, particularly since 2016. Therefore I don’t really dislike her much at this point, I am quite ambivalent to her - but the aforementioned issues posted above, particularly the weak stance on equal pay, make it nigh on impossible to find her likeable either.

·
Registered
25,056 Posts

·
Registered
19,188 Posts
Those "SI-MO-NA" chants and defending second worst racist Nastase..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well I think many many people can never forgive her for saying "it's enough" upon losing to Makarova 46 06 in AO 2015 after being touted as potential champion.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I wouldn’t call Serena’s fans very cool either, remember the booing in America, U.S. Open, 2018 ??
Now THAT was scary ! Personally, I like Simona very much for never giving up, especially in difficult situations. You can expect a thriller whenever she plays. I like very much the way she learned to ‘open up the court’ as well as her famous backhand-down-the line. She saved a lot of match points against her over the past couple of years, and in my days as a young tennis player, people would make me look up to players like Borg and Mc. Enroe as truly professionals for doing the same thing. I even like the fact that a significant part of the WTA Tournament income comes from her international fans. But there are some things that I find not so cool about her : I don’t like the frienship she has with Illie Nastase and her attitude towards Jo Konta - at the time, and I don’t like the way she takes breaks in between Grand Slams and the way she travelled around with a heavy back injury, just to save her bonus and be in for the second year end number one ranking position. She scooped away a wildcard in Moscow that in my opinion belonged to Angelique Kerber. Her best tournament ever was Wimbledon, last year, and she was recuperating well with a great start in 2020. She, herself, is already planning a life beyond being a WTA tennis player, and I wish her all the best - just hope she will make one more move that would make the circle complete for her : A Grand Slam win on hardcourt !
Uhhhhhh

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Why? Did she threaten to shove a ball down a line judge's throat?
Maybe you should read the full sequence of posts because you obviously have no idea what I was replying to. Anyway, are you ever not outraged? You come across as tho you have a never ending outrage boner.

·
Registered
15,537 Posts
the hate seems to have died down honestly, but iirc it was bc:
  • her fans are very fervent, so will elicit an equal reaction
  • fandom wars vs sharapova stans, who had the largest and most passionate fanbase at the time
  • her playstyle, she can be very passive and gutless at times, and it's easier to root against someone who doesn't take any chances (2017 RG final)
  • her defeatist attitude, starting with the QF drubbing by cibulkova in 2014. became even easier to pick on with her consistently early exits (for her stature) at big tournaments to the likes of rogers, kanepi, zhang shuai, sharapova, etc. and a lot of these she lost in a very embarrassing fashion due to aforementioned play style.
  • slamless #1, in 2017 literally only won 1 tournament and had 2 slam R1 exits, wozniacki was shit on even more in 2011 with better results
  • associations with natase, who is a sexist, and we are on a women's tennis forum after all. seems pretty content to reap the benefits that BJK, WS have gotten for the WTA, but doesn't want to pay it forward, which is fine! but i think it's a valid reason why some of the diehard women's tennis fans on this forum don't want to root for her either.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Maybe you should read the full sequence of posts because you obviously have no idea what I was replying to. Anyway, are you ever not outraged? You come across as tho you have a never ending outrage boner.
Of course I read them! And I love that expression! (y):cool:

The "outrage" is simply in response to SOME of the dickwit comments that are appearing here, quite possibly because people simply have nothing better to do while tennis is in this enforced hiatus. Believe me, that is nothing like my normal demeanour in real life...and you have liked several of my previous comments anyway. :D

·
Registered
962 Posts
Of course I read them! And I love that expression! (y):cool:

The "outrage" is simply in response to SOME of the dickwit comments that are appearing here, quite possibly because people simply have nothing better to do while tennis is in this enforced hiatus. Believe me, that is nothing like my normal demeanour in real life...and you have liked several of my previous comments anyway. :D
Wait, what was so dickwit in his comment bringing up the Halep-Osaka IW match? I mean come on, at least be consistent.
The irony.

·
Registered
415 Posts
She's not American! Basically the best player in the WTA now without Serena.

The Americans are having nightmares with Simona Halep:

• eviscerated Serena once again, this time at Wimbledon final
  • leads Osaka 4-1 (h2h record) and defeated her 6-1 6-0 in their last meeting
  • Venus didn't pass 3 or didn't win a set against Halep in their last 4 meetings
  • Stephens lost the Canadian Open and the Roland Garros to the little Romanian, also was defeated at the Cincinnati semifinal (7-2 h2h for Simone)
  • 4-1 or 5-1 h2h record against Madison Keys, 3-0 against Riske, beat also Gauff and Brady everywhere
  • beat Sharapova in their last 2 meetings
So Halep gives them big headaches only when they see her name. Halep is the reason for the United States federation not winning 2 more Slams and other Premiers, in the period when Osaka represents Japan instead of the US.

Now of course she lost 3 Slam finals until 2017, but Kim Clijsters lost 3-4 until giving headaches to Serena.

Wait, what was so dickwit in his comment bringing up the Halep-Osaka IW match? I mean come on, at least be consistent.
The irony.
Fun guy, Halep leads Osaka 4-1 h2h record, and embarrassed her 6-0 6-1 in their last meeting.

But if Halep retires, Osaka can win more trophies. More than "5" definitely, she's that proven.

261 - 280 of 287 Posts