Tennis Forum banner

241 - 260 of 287 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
I actually have grown to respect and like Simona, I mean she's been the most consistent player of the last six years, being in the Top 10 every year and Year-End #1 twice. She did great in that 2018 RG Final after being down a set and a break to a goating Sloane and then completely annihilating Serena Williams in the 2019 Wimbledon Final.

·
King
28,608 Posts
I remember when Halep first went on her big run in 2013, the hype was completely ridiculous - people hailed her as the new Henin. Months later in 2014, she of course didn’t live up to that, and IMO people wanted her to fail off the back of that, including me.

Halep has been probably the only consistent “top” player we have had on the tour on the past couple of years, and the Wimbledon F last year was very much a redeeming moment for her in terms of her being hailed as a choker with no guts, but I think most outside of her fan-base still have the feeling that she probably wouldn’t have been a contender if she peaked back in the 00s.

·
Registered
8,024 Posts
With that said, you don't find the fake grunting and inexcusably self defeatist attitude as a turn off?
I mean in that case, I just choose not to stan for them.

I didn't really follow her well enough to notice before people mentioned it really. I knew about "QF was Enough" and dragged her for it a couple of times but I don't feel those aren't good enough reasons to 'hate' someone.

As a side note, that changeover with Darren Cahill was exactly what she needed to hear and too many people wanted to protect her from the truth.

If someone kicked Serena's ass into gear like that, she'd be well past Margaret Court. Patrick used to until they stopped sleeping with each other.

Having heels in sports can be fun and give people a reason to watch and get immersed in the event (in moderation). But I agree, I don't even think people should 'hate' any tennis player, including Hand-in, DopaPova, and yes I'll even say it...Joan. (who gave about as many fucks as a Vatican nun and doesn't get the amount of heat for it that Halep does). It just sounds weird. Y'all don't even know those girls personally to actually hate them. It's just a bit...weird.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
But I agree, I don't even think people should 'hate' any tennis player, including Hand-in, DopaPova, and yes I'll even say it...Joan. (who gave about as many fucks as a Vatican nun and doesn't get the amount of heat for it that Halep does). It just sounds weird. Y'all don't even know those girls personally to actually hate them. It's just a bit...weird.
....who the f*** is Joan?

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
It's her crazy fans that annoy me mostly. Remember when Sharapova won Madrid (against Halep) and RG (against Halep) in 2014 and yet Halep fans spammed the voting for player of the month such that the WTA had to award it to Sharapova anyway. And then they complained that the WTA didn't follow the votes😂

"Halep received tremendous support in fan voting, receiving 291,000 of the 305,000 votes. Although we had to go with Sharapova who defeated Halep in both the Madrid and Roland Garros final.

Final Fan Vote Results for WTA Player of the Month (May)

1. Simona Halep (95%)
2. Maria Sharapova (4%)
3. Serena Williams (1%)"

How embarrassing and pathetic.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Halep was the WTA Most Popular Player of the Year for two consecutive years in 2014 and 2015, as well as the WTA Fan Favorite Singles Player of the Year for three consecutive years in 2017, 2018, and 2019.

Of course that she also has haters! Nadal has haters, Djokovic has haters, maybe only Federer not. Serena has haters also...

Who asked you? Halep has one of the best games in the sport. Barty's game is ugly. Halep is small but very powerful. The grunt isn't bad, as worse as of Sharapova's, Azarenka's etc
Lol Radwanska won the same thing a lot of years but not a ton of people outside Poland stan her. It’s because they come from smaller countries that really stan any athlete because they don’t have such a huge representation in the international sphere culturally/politically/athletically so like a huge share of people from that country vote for them whereas like people from the US or bigger countries don’t give a shit about stuff like that...USUALLY.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Simona has long been my favorite player.
I wish more of the players had fans like Halep's. Fans like Halep's introduce a lot of energy into the matches.
Unfortunately, Simona is looking at the end of her career in about 2 or 3 years. Short girls lose their foot speed at about 30 y/o, and Halep will be 29 this summer.
It's very unfortunate for Halep to lose a year, at the end of her career, due to coronavirus. Simona had a great start this year with a semi-final run at the AO, and winning the tournament in Dubai.
Simona made a big push to the top in 2013 and has been a top 5 player for the past 7 years, with a game based to a large degree on energy.

·
Registered
6,810 Posts
Btw, by "variability," to describe Halep's game, I don't mean variety. For example, the reader of my post above who takes exception to Halep's variety is absolutely correct. She has no drop shot, not a particularly functional net game, she almost never hits a lob when a lob would obviously win the point, etc. For this very lovely set of qualities, esp. the first and third, I recommend Aga's game.

Variability, as I read it -- and this was originally described by Louisa Thomas in a New Yorker article -- is more to do with the strange range Halep's game runs from being out of a match, on the defense, to asserting control, offensively, to playing in the zone (as she occasionally has, e.g., against Serena at Wimbledon). That strange range can lengthen, as it did, e.g. in the match (she was not playing her best) against Lauren Davis (again, at Wimbledon), or it can switch on a dime, as she did against Bianca Andreescu at the YE championships. Her matches are hard to read, and thus very dramatic.
Aah the lob, I am sure that by now she has practised it as much as possible instead of only using the passing shot. As one person already pointed out, I too have an issue with her fake grunt, sometimes defeatist attitude (so many players these days have it) and those rabid loud fans. However, she was a consistent number one, almost like Barty is.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Simona has long been my favorite player.
I wish more of the players had fans like Halep's. Fans like Halep's introduce a lot of energy into the matches.
Unfortunately, Simona is looking at the end of her career in about 2 or 3 years. Short girls lose their foot speed at about 30 y/o, and Halep will be 29 this summer.
It's very unfortunate for Halep to lose a year, at the end of her career, due to coronavirus. Simona had a great start this year with a semi-final run at the AO, and winning the tournament in Dubai.
Simona made a big push to the top in 2013 and has been a top 5 player for the past 7 years, with a game based to a large degree on energy.
Look back at it now, how wonderful it was in Dubai, to have Tunisian(Jabeur) and Romanian(Halep) fans fill up the stadium outshouting each other! Thrilling festive fun! Count me as a Romanian!:D

With all the uncertainty brought by Covid-19, Halep may lose more than a year and be very close to retirement. If so, I'll be really really sad.
Just a few days ago, Tokyo 2020 president Yoshiro Mori said 2021 Olympics will be canceled (not postponed) if the pandemic remains a threat next year. It may affect Halep's career decision as winning an Olympic medal is her major goal.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Lol Radwanska won the same thing a lot of years but not a ton of people outside Poland stan her. It’s because they come from smaller countries that really stan any athlete because they don’t have such a huge representation in the international sphere culturally/politically/athletically so like a huge share of people from that country vote for them whereas like people from the US or bigger countries don’t give a shit about stuff like that...USUALLY.
100% this. Compare her achievements to Davenport's, for example, and then compare what a big deal they are in their respective countries. The videos of Halep's reception when she's back in Romania is genuinely jaw-dropping.
The closest thing I can compare it to is some of the Jamaican sprinters after Olympic wins, but even then there is a pantheon of local greats. Halep really and truly stands alone in Romania.

·
Registered
962 Posts
All of these people with the counter of "she's been the most consistent top player" etc etc........that's so jarring to hear considering the number of blowouts PER SEASON that she has in not only the majors but regular events as well. At one point i wanted her to become the next "Kim" (2014/2015) and i even started rooting for her (2018/2019) but i don't think being "better than the rest" should be confused for "better than the best".

To my memory Halep has NEVER had a single start to finish consistent season. She'd either win a ton of matches/events but be a non factor at the majors- or she'd go deep at a major or two but flop hard at the other 2. So that combined with the attitude and fake grunt, and she just loses a ton of points. Sorry :mad:

·
Registered
17,792 Posts
Maybe I'm not participating in the right threads, but I don't think she's that disliked, especially when compared to the likes of Serena, Maria, Mladenovic, Wozniacki, Bouchard, etc. I think she's received comparable "hate" on this forum to the likes of Pliskova and, say, Radwanska. Someone like Svitolina—I think—gets much more intense haters. But her fans can be so obnoxious somestimes. And they get so boisterous about her—whether it's hyping her up or complaining that others don't like her enough. It's off-putting. I like her fine—I've supported her and have championed when she deserved it. And, yes, there have been many instances where I've criticized her, too. And I get called a hater for it. Most rabid fans can be incredibly aggressive. It's not just hers, but I do think that in the last five or so years, hers have been noticeably grating.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
In 2014-15 it was so annoying. Her fans, and there were like dozens and dozens overnight (her subforum had pages and pages every tournament with all kind of surreal comments) , were obnoxious, nasty and aggressive (I remember one wished me dead) and there was no arguing with them apart from some very few exceptions. They obviously hadn't watched much tennis, if at all, before Halep, and only the most over the top praise was enough. I remember that a couple of her 2012-13 fans I liked a lot were so put off they stopped posting about her and moved on. When, naturally, she couldn't live up to those New Graf ,new Henin, new Cljisters, WTA's Djokovic, HC wonder, etc... comments/threads, and some of those fans realized that winning 10 GS was not going to happen just like that, plus she starting to have some very bad losses, most of those fans went away, except a couple of crazy DAs and that one writting essays about UNPREPARED!!!, and in general it gradually got much better. The ones left you can argue with most of them.

·
Registered
11,226 Posts
I’ve never really had any issues with Halep. Great fighter who fulfilled her potential.

Occasionally, she does fake during matches. All the tanks in Asia for cheques too...But, overall- likeable and nice to watch, moves so well at her peak.

She also sent TrollPova into GM retirement by winning slams. 🥳

241 - 260 of 287 Posts