Tennis Forum banner

201 - 219 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
Always nice to see Evonne. Did another ever happen with changing the name of one of the AO show courts to EGC Arena? I wish they would. The reverend Mags is such a backwards beastie.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
Yes I read that she was thrilled and stayed up all night watching it, plus afterwards excitement with phone calls etc.

·
Registered
55,531 Posts

·
Registered
55,531 Posts

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
Fabulous! It looked like fun. Any idea who the plastic surgery nightmare is? It’s not Jelena Dokic, is it?

·
Registered
55,531 Posts

Reactions: Mark43

·
Registered
55,531 Posts

Reactions: Mark43

·
Registered
55,531 Posts
Evonne Goolagong Cawley d. Chris Evert 6-1 7-6 | Wimbledon 1980 Final | Full Match

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thank you Rollo!
I remember this match as it was yesterday - due to the rain I saw most of the match when I got home from school as it was played on the Friday. Warching it again, what struck me was the patterns of play - full of spins, slices and dinks and making full use of the court from both players and that on the whole Evonne was better that day. It might seem slow now but it did not in 1980 as it was the norm. agree with Rollo -I would have loved to have seen the'72 and '76 matches -BBC showed a bit of the 76 final as one of the best finals in the open era. The one Chrissie-Evonne Match I would love to watch in full is the VS finals from 76 - that seems to be an absolute classic from all accounts. I think we were lucky in the UK with Wimbledon that we had blanket coverage and the women had good coverage especially compared to other slams - think that Austin-Evert US Open S/F in 1980 was not covered shocks me.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
It shocked me too. THANK GAWD they started showing the women’s semis the next year, because that match was even better. My all time favorite Chris-Martina match ever. But I felt cheated the year before.

201 - 219 of 219 Posts