Tennis Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
To be fair,she obviously isn't going to be in the shape she was in her professional days, she wouldn't exercise nearly half as much. Also aboriginal women tend to put on weight a lot easier because of their natural curviness. She isn't ill, probably just enjoying the delights of life :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be fair,she obviously isn't going to be in the shape she was in her professional days, she wouldn't exercise nearly half as much. Also aboriginal women tend to put on weight a lot easier because of their natural curviness. She isn't ill, probably just enjoying the delights of life :)
Of course. But the odd thing is that in the video, she talks about her training camps etc, which implies she is still very active. When compared to her contemporaries and even older players like Wade, Evonne just looks awful. And it's happened so quickly. The last time I saw her she was in far better shape. Which made me worried that she's suffered some illness. I just hope not. There's nothing wrong in getting big! I just had concern that it was more worrying than that.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Nice story from over the weekend..

Tennis great pays tribute to 'mum'

Evonne Goolagong Cawley was still at primary school when she played her first game in the big smoke and caught the eye of the matriarch of a Sydney tennis family.

It was in the early 1960s and Pauline Callaghan's two daughters were playing against the young Aborigine when another spectator turned and asked "is that your daughter".

Mrs Callaghan's father was Mauritius-born and she had his dark complexion, so when the pride of Barellan walked off the court she told the young player that people thought she was her daughter.

"Evonne said, 'That's ok. I'll call you mum'," Mrs Callaghan said. "And she did. For years. It was our joke."

Mrs Callaghan's children Tony, 62, Kerry, 60, Rhonda, 59, Paula, 56, and Noel, 53, all played A-grade in the North Western Suburbs Tennis Association. Tony became a professional and played Wimbledon five times and coached Brad Drewett, Wally Masur, Jelena Dokic, Todd Reid, Sandon Stolle and Samantha Stosur.

All of them gathered in Hunters Hill a few days ago to celebrate Mrs Callaghan's 90th birthday. Her grown-up children had also arranged for a surprise phone call.

Mrs Callaghan had started talking to Goolagong Cawley on her mobile, when she looked up and saw her walking towards her with her husband Roger Cawley.

"Imagine my surprise. I hadn't seen her for years. What a present. And she still calls me mum," Mrs Callaghan said.

http://images.smh.com.au/ftsmh/ffximage/2009/03/13/goolagong_wideweb__470x349,0.jpg

PS - Evonne's NOT that fat (see above photo). Two of her would probably fit into one of Turnbull's current outfits.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Who cares if she's gained a little weight. More of her to see! And she was smiling as always. Evonne, ever graceful and gracious. I loved watching the Wimbledon clips on YouTube of her beating Austin and Evert back to back to win Wimbledon in 1980.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
She wasn't THAT heavy, she looked like a lot of women in their late 50's early 60's. I think in the US we're so obsessed with thiness and youth that we find weight gain and aging of any kind appalling. Personally I think it's kind of nice and consistent with the way she's always presented herself that she's comfortable being a bit heavier and looking her age. Obviously in direct contrast to her famous rival Chrissie E, who it is abundantly clear puts a helluva lot of work into looking fantastic. Funny Evonne could be anyone's Australian granny and Chrissie is the MILF that wouldn't die. I think they are both awesome.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
She wasn't THAT heavy, she looked like a lot of women in their late 50's early 60's. I think in the US we're so obsessed with thiness and youth that we find weight gain and aging of any kind appalling. Personally I think it's kind of nice and consistent with the way she's always presented herself that she's comfortable being a bit heavier and looking her age. Obviously in direct contrast to her famous rival Chrissie E, who it is abundantly clear puts a helluva lot of work into looking fantastic. Funny Evonne could be anyone's Australian granny and Chrissie is the MILF that wouldn't die. I think they are both awesome.
I just don't understand why elder heterosexual women work so hard to look good for their "Jabba the Hut" husbands in the United States. Evonne looks manageable but getting in shape for Roger, please! She is fine. Chris, I can understand. Tracy, whatever. I mean the men don't get worked up in looking good if their women looked like Joan Rivers.

Martina, I definitely can understand and even you Pam. I'm not talking about your men.

Reactions: daze11
1 - 8 of 8 Posts