Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and listen good.

Today was not the greatest final, in fact, it was quite boring. However, so were some of the finals in the past.

This thread is to stop all this BS about boring finals. You know what?? I want to stop hearing "the Williams finals are boring," "todays Belgian final was even worse" crap. You know, the best two players have gotten to the finals of every singles GrandSlam since the beginning of each GrandSlam tournament, face it. Whether it was the Williams, the Belgians, Navratilova, Evert, WHOEVER; they deserved to be there, so stop bitching about the poor quality of play.

I just believe that today's final should shut up everyone on the past Williams final, because today was quite bad. But you know, Justine and Kim were the two better players this tournament, and deserved to be in the finals, just as Venus and Serena were the best players in each of the past 4 GrandSlams. I just don't wanna hear anymore about how the Williams or boring, or how the Belgians never play well against each other. Just STOP, and everyone look at it the way it should be looked out. One was just too good, yet both deserved to be there.

Congrats Justine, you played great.

Kim, you'll get many more chances.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
bravo bravo!! finally someone on this board who thinks like me!! ::KISS:: venusforever

i really appreciate your insight and honesty.

from now on, let's all hope for the two best players to get to the finals and for the final to be great, but if the final sucked, shit happens but the finalists are still deserving finalist.

AMEN

Reactions: Venus Forever

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
While most of us were expecting a "thrilling and close" final match...no one can predict what was going to happen. Indeed Kim did not display her "best" tennis out there but give credit where credit is due...Justine played excellent tennis...in a game where the results are usually won on "heart" and "determination" Justine certainly showed us that she deserved to be the Champion today! :D In an emotional atmosphere where she said if she won she would dedicate this "win" to her mother Justine succeeded in "spades"... :hearts: Magnifique performance JuJu!! :kiss:

Now, Kim as a consolation prize...go win the doubles!! :worship:

barmaid :wavey:

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
VeNuS FoReVeR, you are totally right!

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
nicely done, but I think the negative response today is a RESULT of Kim/Justine fans saying 'finally, a final better than all-williams final.' I know if someone doesn't stand up and say 'stfu' it will continue in the future. Hopefully this will be an end to the bullshit but I seriously doubt it. :)

·
Banned
11,012 Posts
LMFAO and instead of saying the same two ppl getting to every final is boring, just dont watch it!!!

i get the feeling some ppl were watching the final today hoping it would be crap, not cos they wanted to watch it! and same about the other 5 W/S finals.

i just think the people who criticised boring finals should be silenced now....its not just two players, this has proved anyone can be unfortunate enough to participate in it :(

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Look I think the final was boring today, and lets face it in the last four slams the best matches have happened in the semi final (well this year in RG until 4-2 ahem!). For me the best match never happens in the final.

·
Banned
8,642 Posts
thats why I have been watching men's tennis- I used to get mad at the Johhny Macs of teh world but he is sooo right- men's tennis is more exciting to watch! And yes, i hope this shuts up the naysayers of All WIlliams finals because this one was not all that...disappointment Kim :(

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
2,109 Posts
Yeah I think its more common then not for the Womens Finals to be anti-climactic esp compared to the mens who go 5 sets 7-6 in the 5th starting the first round. That is unless you are a fan of one or both. The last great final imo was Capriati/Hingis.

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
You make soooooo much sense!

·
Registered
832 Posts
I really hate to say this, but women's tennis in general is pretty boring these days. I start off taping matches, and end up pushing rewind. I swear I have about five matches that I kept in the last three years. I thought people were crazy when they said that power has ruined the game, but Hun, I'm begininng to think they just might be right! :sad:

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
12,324 Posts
You, My Dear, are totally right!!! :kiss:

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think we all know that this will never happen. :rolleyes:

If only people would look at it objectively.

And thanx for all your wonderful responses. :D

·
Registered
18,415 Posts
Men's finals are generally more exciting because it is longer. There is more room for drama, becuase a player can be off for 2 sets and then go on to win the entire match. this is not the case in women's tennis, as you all know.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Even the best of 3 matches of men are better. They are better because more points ends on winners or forced errors. It's better because the court coverage is better and the shots are more varied.

The next step for the women is to combine power with accuracy and variety.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
starr said:
Even the best of 3 matches of men are better. They are better because more points ends on winners or forced errors. It's better because the court coverage is better and the shots are more varied.

The next step for the women is to combine power with accuracy and variety.
I guess you're right. The increase in power lead to increase in unforced errors, which have to be cut down again in the years to come

1 - 20 of 25 Posts