Tennis Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has got to be the 25th article that I've read, scanned or glaced at that talked about Serena playing against the men. And it has come about because of all the attention Annika has gotten. For the most part - all of the writers seem to think that it would be a good thing for tennis if Serena played some men. She could start with some exhibitions, and then move on. Move on to what?

I'm trying to wrap my brain around what these folks are actually saying. Venus could hang w/some men, and so could Cappy - Momo and Davy - I would think. It must be because Serena is the number one player and the bonecrusher - is why they keep on harping on Serena - no?

"GET READY TO CRUSH SOME BONES AND HOPES - SERENA" "DEFEND YOUR TITLE"

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?click_id=4&art_id=ct20030523232645423S346522&set_id=6

While on the subject, it was difficult not to pop the question on the media's obsession with tennis starlet Anna Kournikova.

"Who are the media?" came Martina Navratilova's withering retort in reference to a male-dominated
domain. "I've read articles where they write Anna is getting too much publicity. They write an article about the fact that she's getting too much publicity. Enough said about her.

"People just make a big deal about looks, more so with women, but if a male athlete is extraordinarily good-looking he gets it too. Patrick Rafter had to deal with that. He is gorgeous, but that doesn't make him a better tennis player."

Navratilova was equally dismissive of criticism levelled at Sweden's world No 1 Annika Sorenstam, who this week broke the women's 58-year-old hiatus from the PGA Tour.

Navratilova was surprised to learn that Fiji's Vijay Singh, Sorenstam's most vociferous critic, had withdrawn from the tournament.

"I don't know what they are critical about. It's called the PGA Tour, it's not the men's PGA Tour. Presumably it's open to everyone.

"It's nice to see Annika giving it a go because I think she'll beat some of the men and they'll be very embarrassed.

"I think someone like Serena Williams can beat some men players who are making a decent living on the ATP tour."

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I'm sooooooooooo sick of this asshole debate. :rolleyes: I find it odd that these same male journalist,who go out of their way to ignore womens' sports most of the time seem to have a unusual fasination with wanting to see female athletes put their credibility on the line.Like I've said before I don't give two hoots how any of the top 10 women would do against any male pro. WHO CARES.To me success for female athletes is to have their own tours,leagues...etc.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts