1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even idle, Williamses are the best show

By Karen Crouse, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, September 3, 2003

NEW YORK -- The biggest story in women's tennis Tuesday was buried on page 19 of the Daily News. There were Venus and Serena Williams, the epitome of chic in a photograph that had been snapped during last week's MTV Video Music Awards.

Their right legs are bent slightly at the knee. Their arms hang loose at their sides. Their smiles look unrehearsed.

They are a vision of insouciance.

An unidentified reveler, who possibly had bumped hips with one or both of the sisters, was quoted as saying in the accompanying copy that at one party held in conjunction with the awards show, "Venus and Serena... were doing a lot of booty-shaking."

Well, you know what the Talmud says: "Live well. It is the greatest revenge."

In a city where the paparazzi never sleep, it's pretty amazing that no pictures have surfaced to corroborate that the sisters were indeed busting a few moves. When Jennifer Capriati bared her bellybutton and her wild side last year at a Manhattan nightclub after her quarterfinal loss, a photographer got the shot.

But we digress.

Amelie Mauresmo had six hours to sit around in stultifying boredom Tuesday before her quarterfinal match against No. 1 seed Kim Clijsters at the U.S. Open was officially postponed.

It'd be poetic justice if during that time she picked up the day's papers and stumbled upon the shot of the Williamses in regal repose.

Mauresmo, you'll remember, was one of the players who last year bemoaned the Williamses' dominance in the Grand Slams. "I think it's sad for women's tennis," were the Frenchwoman's exact words. "People are going to get bored with it. I have lost count of the number of people who have told me, 'We don't want an all-Williams final.' "

They wanted it; they got it. An Open with no Serena, no Venus and, until 9 p.m. Tuesday, no women's tennis.

To add inundation to the Williamses' injuries, the end of the Palm Beach Gardens sisters' two-year reign at the Open has coincided with a New York summer that has been soggier than a newspaper flung in a sprinkler's path.

All the wet conditions have done is put the women's draw through the wringer. It has been a dry run, to say the least.

To paraphrase Mauresmo, it's sad for women's tennis what is happening here. The top five seeds (Clijsters, Justine Henin-Hardenne, Lindsay Davenport, Mauresmo and Jennifer Capriati) have lost a total of two sets in 20 matches.

Mauresmo has dropped 16 games through four rounds; Henin-Hardenne, 17; Clijsters and Davenport, 18; and Capriati, 20. They haven't scrambled to get to the quarterfinals; they've steamrolled.

The competition for cabs in Manhattan has been fiercer.

Last year former tennis great John McEnroe disseminated a fervent plea for someone to stop Venus and Serena from running rampant over women's tennis.

"You just hope for a Mauresmo to come through or a Martina Hingis or a Lindsay Davenport to come back from injury," McEnroe opined in his capacity as a tennis talking head.

Be careful what you wish for, Johnny Mac. The USA Network that is employing McEnroe here had hours and hours to fill Tuesday and no matches with which to thrill its afternoon audience.

So what women's matches did it show? Henin-Hardenne's 6-0, 6-3 rain-interrupted victory over Dinara Safina in the fourth round? Clijsters' 6-3, 6-2 third-round victory against Svetlana Kuznetsova?

Yeah, right.

USA wanted to keep its audience, not put it to sleep. So Serena's 2001 quarterfinal here against Lindsay Davenport was replayed -- she won in three sets -- as was Venus' fourth-round, three-set victory last year against Chanda Rubin.

Those were the good ol' days.

No question the Williamses are casting an awfully long shadow on this Open. We don't wonder why two players nursing injuries were making the party scene last week. It says here the Williamses were intent on making more than a fashion statement at the MTV Video Music Awards.

They're out of sight but not beyond reminding the tennis world that they're still around.

True greatness is like true love: You don't miss it until it's gone.

Tennis is lucky. It will get the Williamses back. The hope here is that absence will have made the heart grow fonder.

[email protected]

·
Registered
713 Posts
This woman knows nothing about tennis, simply too many holes in that article to mention! I don't know how on earth some journalists make a living!

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
11,823 Posts
I think it's quite a shame, the love/hate relationship writers have with the sisters. You kick them down when they are playing, then kiss their asses when they are not and begging for them to come back? Make up your minds already :rolleyes:. One thing is for sure though....Venus and Serena are enjoying their time as THEY should, and I hope they recover pretty soon :bounce: :kiss:.

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
that is who it is with the sisters. they either love them or that hate them. in this case, we have both and the sisters are not even playing.

everyone knows that the sisters are really really miseed at the open this year, and now with the sisters out, people want to talk about them as much as they can, for what reason i don't know why but they need to wake up and smell the damn cofffe. the sisters are the tennis world. with them out of the picture we talk about them, with them in the picture we talk about them.

we will continue to talk about them as much as we want to talk about them whether it be bad or good. the sisters are and have always been and always will be the talk of the tennis world.

deal with it people, they kiss their asses, they want to beat their asses. their asses are even popular.

our asses are just gonna have to deal with the turth.

AND AS I HAVE NOTICED ON THIS BOARD THE TRUTH WHEN PEOPLE ARE PERTAINING TOTHE WILLIAMS SISTERS HURTS A LOT OF PEOPLES FEELINGS ON THIS BOAD B/C THEY DON'T LIKE THEM.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
SerenaSlam said:
everyone knows that the sisters are really really miseed at the open this year, and now with the sisters out, people want to talk about them as much as they can, for what reason i don't know why but they need to wake up and smell the damn cofffe.

**** Not even close to an accurate statement.... So many people I know are really excited to watch the USO THIS YEAR because they are NOT there... Attendance at this year's open has set new records...

the sisters are the tennis world.

**** The tennis world was around for a LONG time b4 them, and it is going on with out them as well (& with great success!!)

The sister may be your whole world, but not ours....

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
MartinaI said:
This woman knows nothing about tennis, simply too many holes in that article to mention! I don't know how on earth some journalists make a living!
hater.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
1jackson2001 said:
The usual Williams ass-kissing is apparent to perfection. :D ;)
hater.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
CapFan#1 said:
**** The tennis world was around for a LONG time b4 them, and it is going on with out them as well (& with great success!!)

hater.

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
This article merely reflects the media's or rather white America's attitudes towards blacks.

They don't want to live around or go to work or school with blacks, but, yet, are constantly following around them like a vampire after life giving blood to suck out their genius in art, music, sports, academics or any other manner in which they can make money from the brains and efforts of American blacks.

But, being true to form, next year, I am quite sure that the media will be, once again, bitching about the winning ways of VENUS & SERENA WILLIAMS.

TR :cool:

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
CapFan#1 said:

You are right. The tennis world existed before the sisters and will exist once they leave the game. HOWEVER, you must note that the sisters are the biggest story in tennis right now. When they don't play or are absent due to injury, the talk revolves around their absence because they are the most dominant players on tour. Even Capriati noted that many would feel that an asterik should be placed next to the name of the winner because they didn't have to play a Williams sister.

Whether you like it or not, the Williams sisters are huge figures in the tennis world and that means your world too.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Cybelle Darkholme said:

not at all..... I enjoy the sisters, I just enjoy the whole game of tennis, not just 1 or 2 players, and that was my point in my previous post.... To make a statement the the WHOLE tennis world is 2 players is niave at best.... I love tennis... all tennis... the men's game, the women's game, singles, doubles, etc..... Sure I have favorites, who doesn't, but I would watch ANY match, regardless who is playing, because I love the game. And most tennis fans feel the same way. It is inaccurate to say the this years USO is a flop, and because V+S are not there.... the attendance has been at record levels

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.