Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as the loss today was annoying, I expected it! I no longer am really concerned when watching a match whether she loses, as I used to, because I know she is no longer the player she once was. I used to get nervous and wanting more from her but, her lack of improvement(in form) has left me severely flat and to just expect her to lose.

If Venus wants to continue to play, that's up to her and not her fans (I've have now realised that). She could just be playing because she enjoys the game and wants to continue being an ambassador of it. But, in terms of winning grand slams she is pretty much done, doesnt mean it wont happen cos her game could click for the last 3 matches of grand slam (e.g Wimbledon 2005) and she could be unplayable. But, I believe that these are seriously going to be few and far between.

The main issue about her game is her unforced error count. Over time this has increased, but people should remember that when Venus was at the top of the game she still normally made about 28-30 errors per match- the difference being her winners or forced errors (of her opponent) were significantly higher than this. It was the case that within a few shots Venus would hit a few 'bombs' and she would hit a winner or opponents would be pounded into making an error. The problem with this, is that there are a now a decent handful of players who can hit the ball as hard as Venus and make less errors, so they can wait for her to self destruct- sad but true. I do believe she is working to try and change this, it is gonna be hard to change the habits of a lifetime....will just have to wait and see.

p.s. an annoying point after matches like this, is the blind fans who say go and win your next tournament, as her tournament wins are so sparse it is hardly like to happen next time as it might have in 2000-2003. So, the comments like "She will win Wimbledon" are extremely hopeful on current form. I just wish some people would implore a bit of realism in evaluating her chances!

·
Snitch
16,148 Posts
Is this therapy? :scratch:

Cause if it is i'm happy for you...the bitch gonna have to pay for mine...:(

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Venus will become a slam contender again when she rushes the net or serves/volleys 2+ times per game, every game, every set, every match. You said it: she no longer has much if any power advantage over the rest of the top ten, and she makes way more errors due to unconventional FH technique and lack of confidence.

Her serve, however, is still one of the best on tour, and her volleys pretty much are the most effective on tour (JH and momo have better volleys, IMHO, but only slightly, while Venus' range is like twice theirs.)

·
Art & Futures
20,839 Posts
Venus will become a slam contender again when she rushes the net or serves/volleys 2+ times per game, every game, every set, every match. You said it: she no longer has much if any power advantage over the rest of the top ten, and she makes way more errors due to unconventional FH technique and lack of confidence.

Her serve, however, is still one of the best on tour, and her volleys pretty much are the most effective on tour (JH and momo have better volleys, IMHO, but only slightly, while Venus' range is like twice theirs.)
i think of venus had more effective drop volleys and used those more often, she would become a volley master and would become more effective on clay... but i agree, she needs to change how she plays her game in general.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Venus is finished no excuses. Serena cares about winning Serena is willing to work hard. Venus just doesn't care about being a champion she has tarnished her legacy. Its so frustrating she has so little time left. Venus legacy is tarnished. She is 27 years old and losing to just about everybody. She tries to act tough in press conferences. I am disgusted with her atttiude. I also didn't watch the match and I predicted she would lose in three sets to Jankovic. Venus time as a contender is over. Venus doesn't care anymore she is delusional and doesn't have the heart of a champion anymore. Martina Navratilova, Steffi Graf, and Jennifer Capriati all got help when they were losing. Venus Williams is finished. Venus can just play if she wants to but her days as a contender are over.

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
right now, venus is giving her fans little to cheer for.

it's merely that she loses. it's the way she loses.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Seriously, what is the need to evaluate, criticize, condemn, write off, cuss Venus she lost a match GET OVER IT!
She hasn't lost the desire i saw it today...the frustration to win got to her and she was telling herself 'come on Vee' she still wants it so can all u moles give her a break she will come back strong for Wimby cos ill be there on centre court egging her on wen she lifts the trophy...so all u losers telling her to fix up should evaluate your own lives cos its apparent u have little else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
in what way does she lose then?
let's see.

losing serve in the beginning game of the match. committing all sorts of unforced errors in the match. blowing leads - she really came close to losing the second set despite having a very large lead. barely getting to the point where you even make an opponent play a ball because you're making so many mistakes. when jelena went up 3 to 1 in the third, i rolled over and went to sleep.

i knew venus would not have the belief to come back. she was making too many mistakes to reel jelena back in.

these are some of problems with the way she is losing - for me.

if she was losing without making all kinds of mistakes and without having lapses in concentration. if she was losing while actually showing up to play, then, as a fan, i could accept that and move on. but she is losing in the most silly and careless ways.

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
will you be evaluating every single one of the 127 players who will not lift the trophy on saturday next week?

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
will you be evaluating every single one of the 127 players who will not lift the trophy on saturday next week?
why should i? i like certain ones. i'm not gonna evaluate marion bartoli or safina cuz i really don't care that much.

i was up at 2 a.m. watching v's match because i was interested. if that were bartoli i would have just slept through the night.

·
Rena's Army
35,200 Posts
I'm a Venus fan but if plan A isn't working then she must switch to plan B but she isn't..if this was grass her serve would have pulled her out but since it isn't then she's definitely got to go to the plan B..she has it in her arsenal and she doesn't like going there...it's the truth...she doesn't need to change anything but when something isn't working go to another part of your game....mix it up...give the opponent something else to think about...she's not able to blast winners past people as easily as before but that's all she seems willing to do...we know she has the game...we know she wants to win (for those who think she doesn't then you obviously aren't watching)...1 df in 3 sets was great when we think back on charleston...but now she's got to get the rest of the game in order or at least do something different on court when things aren't going right...it's her downfall....wimbledon awaits you Venus

·
Registered
29,542 Posts
let's see.

losing serve in the beginning game of the match. committing all sorts of unforced errors in the match. blowing leads - she really came close to losing the second set despite having a very large lead. barely getting to the point where you even make an opponent play a ball because you're making so many mistakes. when jelena went up 3 to 1 in the third, i rolled over and went to sleep.

i knew venus would not have the belief to come back. she was making too many mistakes to reel jelena back in.

these are some of problems with the way she is losing - for me.

if she was losing without making all kinds of mistakes and without having lapses in concentration. if she was losing while actually showing up to play, then, as a fan, i could accept that and move on. but she is losing in the most silly and careless ways.
are u a fan of hers?

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
are u a fan of hers?
do you think i was up at 2 a.m. to watch jankovic beat her? please, of course i wanted v to win. i've been a fan since they were kids in compton. i remember seeing newstories about them when i was growing up in l.a. i'm a fan. i just find her performance in the last couple of weeks to be not up to her potential.

i don't think jankovic is a special player. losing to her, to me, is unacceptable. i don't care what her ranking is.

a loss to momo, henin, serena, pova even hingis - i can deal with that. but not to jankovic.

those other players are slam champions. jankovic, right now, is just a girl on a roll. if she wins some slams, i'll think differently of her.

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
I am not upset by this loss. I sometimes think losses help more than wins. Venus really needs to look at why she is losing matches. She claimed she was tired. Then she needs to work harder on fitness. Venus has suffered through so many injuries in her career, I do not expect her to return to the tour and just win like she used to. I still have a lot of faith. Her game is much better on the grass surface. if she works out the consistentcy in her serve, she will be a huge factor at Wimbledon. She just needs to get her serve working.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Venus played an exellent second set :bounce: :bounce:

don't bash her so much, come on give her some credit :sad:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts