Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watched the whole thing last night begining to end...

First the good stuff...I thought the Belgian song was the stand out of the night, the best by a distance...I also liked Malta's, though I was sad to see it get so few points.

While I thought the Ukraine song was rubbish, I did like the cute contorionist lady in the background...mmm. ;)

As for the winner, not bad, and I did like the belly dancing. :)

Now for the moan...

No points for Britain?! Now, let me say that it was a bloomin' rubbish song, badly performed...but you could say that about at least half a dozen others.

Austria for example, whose entry was by a mile the worse thing of the night, who Im sure were meant to be funny, but werent. Just bloody awful. Yet they were up with the leaders.

Eurovision's ever growing political voting was clearly at work...well partly.

From the point of view of a Pro-European Brit like me, its sad to realise just how much the Brits are disliked right now, and sad that the result only stokes the anti-European flames here.

If you could have heard some of the comments on the radio last night...trust me, some people here took the result VERY seriously...

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
I can imagine they did, i didn't listen to the radio, but i'm not concerned about the result of a song contest.

However, it has done nothing for our communications with Europe and feel we should pull out, both financially and taking part, at least until the anti feeling has gone down.

It's amazing how our small island is so 'influential'

Europe are quick to take the money though ;)

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I see what you are getting at, but I think you should be careful about jumping to conclusions about this being a result of anti-British sentiment. I think it's a fiction.

The problem of Britain is that you lack a country in the contest that will stick up of for you when you send a crappy song, just like you do for Ireland. And "Cry Baby" was truly crappy and annoying. And just so very average.

Had you sent some guy who just stood on stage and farted and burped, I can guarantee that you would have scored excellently. Austria entered a musical catastrophy, but still landed in a prime spot on the scoreboard.

And you are certainly not the first country to do badly. Belgium got 2 silly points in 2000 with some French-language ballad that I don't remember. This time they were close to winning.

Ireland, Iceland, and Norway scored 3, 3, 6 respectively in 2001 and were relegated for 2002, yet they all bounced back nicely this time around.

Last year, Denmark came dead last after finishing #1, and #2 the two preceding years. There is actually not a consistent bloc vote in Northern Europe to help each other avoid relegation.

And some of these bottom-finishers were honestly a lot better than "Amateur Night in Riga" aka Jemini.

·
Registered
14,429 Posts
I have no idea why 0 points for UK, I really like that song, some of them were definitely worse tha Jeminy .

Reactions: Miranda

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
It's fair to say it was crap, but no worse than Estonia, Latvia, Ukraine, Russia or Croatia, although Emma buggering it up didn't help

But as i said on another thread, we could have the Turkish song and wouldn't have won, it is partially political but yes, it was crap

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I don't see why there should be all that fuss. Several very decent songs got 0 points in the past (including a Belgian one) and politics were not said to be involved. Honestly the British song was quite OK in itself, and I certainly have nothing against the country, but, whereas several singers were off-key, including the Russian teens and Spain's Beth, none was anywhere close to the UK female singer under that respect (the male singer was also out of tune, but it was hard to find a "right" pitch after such a beginning!). Getting 0 points does not necessarily mean that you have the worst song, it means that nobody wants it to win (and, in the case of countries with a jury vote, nobody wants to see it in the top10). I would not have given any point to Austria, but I actually found it a bit funny and he clearly did exactly what he intended to do, which was not so obvious in technical terms. Nothing such can be said about Jemini, who really gave the poorest performance of the show.

Now, of course, I would not be surprised to see some British Eurosceptics (i.e., not Chris Ba) grasp the opportunity to moan ;) I only wonder whether American watchers themselves would have voted for Jemini, had they been partaking in the competition :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Except for Croatia, I think most of those songs you mention were quite good. It's probably a bit rough to call it crap, the song is a very casual, contemporary, chart-stormer that doesn't really hurt anyone, but their performance left a lot to be desired. It was similar to Slovenia, Malta in the way that it failed to register. Just a bit too unassuming for the Eurovision I suppose.

You have to remember that it has to score in the Top 10 of 26 in the televoting countries. It may just have fell outside of that in some of the countries, perhaps being 12th, 15th etc.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Oh come on. There were miles between the level of the Ukrainian, or even Estonian, Latvian or Croatian, and the UK performance, no matter everyone's musical tastes! It's better to have a good night's rest and let water flow under the bridge :)

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Sometimes it's just impossible to grasp the music tastes of others. I still can't come to terms with the fact that Latvia did so incredibly poorly, no matter how much I rationalize about their stage performance. And unlike Britain, this was a song that had been tipped do well by a lot of people - various votes, experts etc.

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
I'm British and am telling you it was crap ;) but so were 18 others, but then it's how you perform the crapness. Austria was probably the worst Eurovision song for some years yet came ........6th, 7th?

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
596 Posts
Iconoclast said:
Sometimes it's just impossible to grasp the music tastes of others. I still can't come to terms with the fact that Latvia did so incredibly poorly, no matter how much I rationalize about their stage performance. And unlike Britain, this was a song that had been tipped do well by a lot of people - various votes, experts etc.
In fact, experts are always wrong, people choose the song that doesn't follow the rest, or people choose the song with the most beautiful choreography

What did surprise me, was that there wasn't so much "sympathy" for neighbouringh countries as there was fi last year

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
And Iceland came below Austria and Russia :eek:

I don't know how your countries look at Eurovision? But in the UK it's treated as crap and a big laugh and is forgotten by most the next day, win or lose, at the end of the day the UK didn't lose, jemini did, Turkey didn't win, Serhat whoever did, jsut like football, when England beat Turkey, x amount of players won etc etc not me or Chris Ba.

But it's a good laugh, we got 0 points, next year we'll probably get the same............unless we send Robbie Williams and do a Russia ;)

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
That's the good thing about the Eurovision. If not on Sunday, it's usually forgotten on Monday. But just wait until March or so next year.

As a Brit, you should really appreciate that you can't get relegated no matter what you make the European public endure. I really like the format for next year with a qualification round on Friday, though.

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
I'm actually against that, i think we should have to qualify, i'd expect that of any other nation, so why not ourselves.

I for one love Eurovision, but unlike some others, win, lose or draw, i still enjoy the event, even if the best song never wins

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
6,694 Posts
The UK entry didn't get any points because it was crap, simple as that. OK, the Austrian one was crap, too, but there the crapness was, as for as I could tell, intentional, so it's not the same. I quite liked the Latvian one, I don't know why they did so badly. And I don't know why the Norwegian one did so well, I bloody hated it.

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
OMG I HATED THAT BELGIAN SONG!!!!!!!!!

Baby talk! Damn they cannot agree on a language so they sang gibberish. UGH! I LOVE BELGIUM BTW! Just not that nonsense song!

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would never defend the British song, it was terrible, but we have had plenty of terrible entries before (Sonia!)...all Im saying is, I think its naive to think that in a contest so full of political voting, that it didn't play some part...even the crowd in the hall were wise to the politcal voting this year...the huge boos for Cyprus/Greece being just one example. There were plenty of others.

I think there is a connection to events of the past year and the way the votes go. An effect, large or small.

This year Britain is less popular in Europe than in decades, and it conincides with the year we have the worst ever result.

Again, its the Eurosecpetics who'll relish this...ultimately it is they who will win the battle in this country, its they who hold the majority of opinion. My Pro-European outlook is shared by a shrinking minority. That is sad for Britian and sad for Europe too. :sad:

·
Registered
24,822 Posts
During the British song I really started to cry cause it was that bad. This girl sang so bad, the background choire of Austria was better than her. UK deserves zero points for that disaster get it.

Humour won , Alf Poier won he nearly got points from every country and the song isnt that bad (he cant sing but the song is great). I cant understand why everybody is complaining about the Austrian song. Malta was crap, Portugal was crap, Croatia was crap, Ukraine was big crap etc , all songs the same and Austria and Russia tried something and it was succesful :wavey:

·
Tart with a Heart
15,747 Posts
Ah, Malta...wasn't she fab? "Fuck the piano...lets dance!"

I dont understand why Spain didnt do better, except they were unlucky to go on after tatu.

As a Brit I think we thoroughly deserved the nul points...that was one of the worst songs I've ever heard, and the act were terrible. That guy made me violently homophobic and I'm gay!!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts