Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year's coverage is a CATASTROPHE! I switch on my TV at 11 am and there's Michael Stich with some German commentator strolling the grounds and chatting in German. I had the first terrible premonition. Then the match starts and surprise, surprise, it's not Serena, it's Schüttler (no problem there ;) ), but there's no commentary at all, just silence and the sound of the ball hitting the ground. They switch to Serena's match for a moment and the commentator is German female. :mad: By then I was convinced that I will have a German French Open. This has never happened before. The commentators have always been British. When they switched to cycling it was a German commentator who said goodbye. I also noticed the "wonderful" ad that said: "Roland Garros mit Michael Stich" and him saying that he will guide us all the way to the final. :fiery::fiery::fiery:

Eurosport fucking destroyed everything! I've looked forward to this for a year. I worked like a maniac for the past half a year and more, just so I could take 2 weeks off during RG and now they've completely ruined it for me. :sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

And there other idiocities. They were showing one match and playing the sound from another court. They kept switching between matches, even between points. They introduced a brilliant novelty - two matches shown at the same time - and they kept switching between the two (10 times a minute), so you never knew which one was in which frame. :rolleyes:

There was absolutely no commentary all day. Now that they're back from cycling break, it's confirmed. Agassi's match with a German commentator. :sad::sad::sad: I can't even watch it, I'm so upset. How could they do this to me!

Apparently, the coverage is different for different countries. I'd just like to hear from Eurosport viewers from other countries so I can compare what those differences are. The featured matches on my coverage were Schüttler vs. Mamiit, Federer vs. Horna and then Mauresmo before cycling.

Slovenia is not a German speaking country by the way! Hardly anyone speaks German here, only the older generations. :fiery::fiery::fiery: I'm so fucking mad at Eurosport that I'll NEVER have anything good to say about it ever again.

My dream of enjoying 2 weeks of tennis at my favorite tournament are ruined. :rolleyes: :sad:

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And now there's no commentary again, just silence and sounds from the court. What the hell is going on? Not that I'm complaining. I'd rather have silence than a commentator rambling on in German.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Layla, Eurosport on our tv has always been programmed to the English canal. And now i don't hear anything too, just the grunting from the players, the balls being hit, the applause from the audience, and the referee announcing the scores. I miss those English blokes! :sad:

Reactions: Layla

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
*bug hugs*

I wish there was something I could say or do. I also had a horrible preminition, that of a Agassi-Serena Grand Slam, but its also exactly what I expected.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
why can't you watch tennis without commentary?

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Layla, it's different in Lithuania. We've got the usual teams of commentators, including my beloved McMillan :hearts:

Featured matches were Serena, Younes, ending of Roger, Justine and now, of course, Agassi.

I'm so sorry they screwed it up in Slovenia.

·
26,903 Posts
Layla: I’m sorry for you. I hate it too, and I AM from Germany. :(

I read somewhere that Eurosport now has a special Roland Garros program for German/Austrian/Swiss viewers. And obviously you are getting that now.

·
26,903 Posts
So apart from the stupid switching of courts (which is BASICALLY a good idea), it's probably rather a technical problem. How do you watch Eurosport - cable, satellite ?

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the responses. :) Yes, I can watch tennis without commentary and now I rather hope it stays that way. But I absolutely could not listen to someone ramble on in German all day, not understading a word. And if I mute it then I don't hear the ball and the calls and that's just impossible.

The reason I'm so sad is that I LOVE the British commentators. Their voice feels like home to me, as I've said several times. Part of the enjoyment is listening to their enjoyable, entertaining, knowledgable and fairly unbiased commentaries and I can't really imagine 2 weeks of silence. Half the fun (hell, more than half) is gone for me. I can't even begin to tell you how disappointed I am (too much expectation and excitement I guess) and I literally have tears in my eyes.

Oh well, I'll live... :rolleyes:

Vaiva, it's strange that they left it as it is in Lithuania, but Slovenia has to watch a German version. We're not a province of Austria, for Christ's sake! :fiery:

·
Registered
747 Posts
*hug* Layla *hug* It may get better tomorrow if there's enought complain! I don't know but hope it will work out better tomorrow!

·
Registered
349 Posts
If Eurosport sucks, ESPN super sucks.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GoDominique said:
So apart from the stupid switching of courts (which is BASICALLY a good idea), it's probably rather a technical problem. How do you watch Eurosport - cable, satellite ?
It's a good idea if you don't fuck it up. ;) As it is, I'd rather they picked a match and stuck with it, because their timing is dreadful. They don't cut to another match when something exciting is happening, but rather at random.

I watch it on cable and like I said, I'm better off without a commentary.

Argh, maybe it's time I calmed down a little. ;)

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Layla said:
Vaiva, it's strange that they left it as it is in Lithuania, but Slovenia has to watch a German version. We're not a province of Austria, for Christ's sake! :fiery:
Maybe nobody told them that?

Write them an email! Who knows, might help.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
*Lee* said:
*hug* Layla *hug* It may get better tomorrow if there's enought complain! I don't know but hope it will work out better tomorrow!
Thanks for all the hugs, guys (gals ;) )! :) I did write an e-mail to them and I posted a message on their message board. A few others were also complaining. Someone else said: "SAVE MY LIFE AND FIX THIS FAST!!!!" and that's exactly how I feel. ;)

I'm not too hopeful, because everything around RG (the ads etc.) is in German, so it looks like that's their programming decision for the duration of the tournament.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
GoDominique said:
Layla, shall I teach you some German ? ;)
Thanks. ;) I exaggerated a bit. I do know quite a few words in German, it comes from watching DSF during TMS events. ;)

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
How I wish I got English commentary on Eurosport here in Poland. I think the last time I had English commentary on Eurosport for tennis was in 98.Since then i only get Polish version. Actually for 3 years every program is in Polish.

We had here today: Serena,Younes,Roger,Justine,Andre,Pierce and now it's Coria vs Sa

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
PS said:
How I wish I got English commentary on Eurosport here in Poland. I think the last time I had English commentary on Eurosport for tennis was in 98.Since then i only get Polish version. Actually for 3 years every program is in Polish.

We had here today: Serena,Younes,Roger,Justine,Andre,Pierce and now it's Coria vs Sa
You have Polish commentators? :eek: Ouch. I hope they're good. At least you can understand them. ;)

Thanks for the list of matches. A completely different schedule until post-cycling matches, but afterwards, it's the same as here.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts