Tennis Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
10,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping to get a general idea for my European Studies lesson:

1) Does your country want to revert back to their original currency?

2) Is your country's economies experiencing problems due to the Euro?

3) Were there any problems in the changeover that we didn't hear about?

4) What was your country's original view on the Euro?

5) What's it's view now?

6) Do you think the UK should join?

And anything else you'd like to add...

Cheers :)

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
answer to 6) YES, it would make my life a lot easier...
Don't really know the answer to the other ones, because I left for Britain 9 months after the € was introduced.

·
Registered
34,742 Posts
I don't know my country's view, I do know my own and that of my friends and family.

1) I certainly don't, I'm not getting the impression people want to revert back. Most people are happy with the Euro.

2) not that I'm aware of. The economy is bad at the moment, but that's the case everywhere in the world has nothing to do with the Euro

3) I heard there were a few problems in Italy, there weren't any in Belgium. The first days the rows at the supermarket were a bit longer because people wanted to pay in cash for once instead of with a card, simply for the sake of paying with Euros. Also, they'd show your return coin by coin so you'd get used to it. In the beginning, people spent all their old currency, so you had two currencies at the same time which was a bit confusing. I started paying with Euros from day one and brought my old Belgian francs to the bank. I'm still amazed that such a huge logistical operation went so smoothly. Of course, there are always a few small itches, but overall, nothing serious. At midnight sharp, the cash machines started dispensing Euro notes. In the weeks leading up to the change, you could buy Euro coins. Vending machines accepted both Belgian francs and Euros at first, then only Euros.

4) I don't think people were opposed to the Euro, I think it took a while for us to realise we'd actually get the Euro, that it wasn't in 10 years or so. We didn't get that much information at first.

5) I think most people are very happy with it, I certainly am. I bought my digital camera from an online German shop, the Euro makes it easy to compare prices. I didn't bother checking the British shops because of the Pound. We spend a lot of time in the Netherlands, I always go skiing in France, the Euro makes things so much easier.

6) I think that's a decision the Brits must make, I don't think it'll make such a big difference to us. Reading some of the British newspapers, I fear it's not going to happen soon, the newspapers seem to be feeding the people with misinformation about Europe (e.g. those urban legends about bananas and cucumbers).

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
i have a question

1) if the UK was to join the Euro and become an active partner in the proposed USE, would a USE military force (which would be considerable, probably larger than ours) be more likely to be pro-American or anti-American? :devil:

·
10,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Beggin' Beguine :) Tine, people keep changing their names. And yes, our right wing tabloids do keep telling us about straight bananas :rolleyes:
And people wanting to pay in Euros were showing enthusiasm, at least some people are...

Anyone else going to help me?

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
well the citizens yeah but not the government! :(

i have no idea:eek:

no i don't think so...i didn't hear anything either

the government wanted the Euro
(duh:p) but many sitizens didn't. I was one of those who wanted it

5) What's it's view now?
most of the people don't want the Euro cos our quality of life is very low, we get paid so little yet everything is so expensive! :fiery:

i don't give a f*ck

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
:wavey:

I don't think so. People are getting used to it, even though many still count mentally in Francs. Besides, anybody who has been abroad lately is more than convinced that it makes things a lot easier for tourists, not only in the Euro zone.

Not really. Some have seized the pretext to raise their prices (not directly - it was forbidden - but as soon as they could), but now it is basically over. Now it rather tends to help, the currency is stronger (of course, it is not so great for export) and there are less change taxes.

Not that I know. Maybe in countries where the new currency is worth several hundred units of the former (Spain dreaded suicides among elder people).

Moderately reluctant.

5) What's it's view now?
Moderately positive :D (I think that only far-right and a few leftists are still against it).

Oh, definitely. I want Queen Elizabeth's face on Euro coins :angel:

·
Everything Fades Away
129,476 Posts
Yes, very much. The German Mark is still very missed by most of the Germans.
Yes, many. Because the prices were not converted how it should be (1 Euro = 2 Deutsch Marks) many firms went bankrupt. The mistake was, that they converted the prices 1 to 1 which is UNFAIR and BAD for the economy. People stopped buying because they couldn´t afford anymore at these high prices.

No, actually no problems that I know about.

The Germans were very euphoric and couldn´t wait to finally hold it in their hands.

5) What's it's view now?
Anger and hate, cuz you can´t afford so many things anymore like in the past. They hate the politicians who don´t bother to do something about. Especially older people who grew up with the Deutsch Mark are very dissapointed. You have to watch every cent, before you give it out.

I personally think they should join. Maybe it would help the others in the Euro-zone and the prices would go down. It´s hard to expect that because I am pretty sure the Brits will never give up their powerfull Pound.

Hope I could help you out Rom. Good luck!

:wavey:

·
10,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That was brilliant :D Thank you guys!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts