Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 507 Posts

·
Registered
57,319 Posts
I thought the super-atheist Czechia would be easily No. 1 until I saw Armenia :lol:

I occasionally visit a fast-food run by Armenians and they have proudly hanged up a poster with Armenian countryside inside the restaurant and the poster features a big Christian Church with some mountains and a few commie blocks in the background.

Some even claim Armenia is the world's oldest Christian country, having officially embraced this religion in 301 AD :drive:
true indeed, the only country that has a Quarter in the old town in jerusalem. the old town is divided into 4 Quarters, the muslim, the jewish, the christian and.....the Armenian

·
Premium Member
37,853 Posts
1- i did not say in my post only numbers, why ijnore the rest and focus on one from the 4 i mention?

you summed it up yourself that way so I just took it as it was (the rest isn't ignored and still doesn't change my answer)

2- people often think their culture is superior just like most people think they are good drives, deep inside people know the truth.

no they're just ignorant - confidently ignorant, maybe, but when you change your mind well it means you change it ;)

3- some are superior then others, i kinda feel its getting into the PC zone, i find csome cultures as superior then others you can say you dont think one culture is superior we can disagree and debate my reasons and your reasons.
superior - above/higher or more important.

well to me the debate is meaningless since I think you have to know the culture from the place it lives - I'm sure you feel that to be in the place is mind opening, we all experience that at any scale of our life
answers in blue

·
Registered
57,319 Posts

·
Premium Member
37,853 Posts

To me this underlines especially how the people can be proud of their country and about to defend it fanatically no matter what, because they were educated that way. You have to wonder how they are conditionned from birth and at school about the history of their country, their beliefs, their morals, what you call "culture" overall.

Speaking from what I know (my country which is France), with every government, there are tendencies to change the focus of the history we learn at school (children's school). Some governments try to open historical perspectives to the outside world, some will tend to keep the view from a very French-centric way, as to make the French more patriot or nationalistic.

In the last years some of our presidents (Chirac, Hollande, Macron, made official apologies for human crimes of the past in various wars), and it made cringe a lot of other intellectuals or Historians who grew very proud of their country, with the idea that their country could do no wrong, or that every reason to make those crimes were valuable (and you can imagine the endless arguments in many details of History).

Of course, you have to know your History perfectly and doesn't have to apologize for everything if you couldn't avoid some conflicts, but it is obvious to me that being a patriot and more knowledgeable about your own country than about other parts of the world cannot lead you to a bright path. You'll be unavoidably biased and mistaken. In that regard, the so-called "sovereignty" that is used for every nation highlights what's wrong in this world. A world of people, nations only watching at their door. In the end, what remains sovereign is their belly button.

·
Premium Member
37,853 Posts
Another point I need to add on people or nations who think their culture is "superior": the word "superior" may be misleading. Some of those nations are tied to their history, a tough history of people who died for their country, their freedom, their culture. I can totally understand that the people have an unconditional love for their country and culture, like you love your land, your home and your family. In this case I don't think it's clearly about thinking their country is "superior", it's just a way to claim they're proud of their culture for all that. History of a country can have wounds and those wounds have kept it alive. Do they really think their culture is superior? No, they can't: their culture is just the only one they know, the only one their parents or grand-parents died for, the only one they had to love.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
pc culture
His stance is based on the works of 19th and 20th century anthropologists that did fieldwork in South-America, Africa and Oceania. The general consensus between anthropologists is that cultures develop differently and independently from each other and there is no saying that one is superior to other, because there is no criteria to objectively assess that superiority.

I agree with that assessment in the context of making comparisons between cultures from different continents that don't share anything common and are not influenced by one another. But in Europe for example, there is no question that some cultures are just more appealing than others. But it's usually for good reasons. For example compare Estonian culture to French culture. Estonians have been subordinates to bigger powers for over 700 years experiencing serfdom etc. that handicaps any kind of cultural development. During the times of Enlightenment in France when French people started to view themselves as French and they started to embrace their own traditions, Estonians were slaves doing farm work for the Russian Empire. Based on this we can conclude that there haven't been very good enabling conditions for Estonian culture to flourish in the past centuries :grin2: in this case, it shouldn't be wrong to say that one culture is superior to the other, but one should always think of the reasons behind it.

However, when one starts saying that for example French culture is superior to Guarani people from South America then that's obviously bs.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts

To me this underlines especially how the people can be proud of their country and about to defend it fanatically no matter what, because they were educated that way. You have to wonder how they are conditionned from birth and at school about the history of their country, their beliefs, their morals, what you call "culture" overall.

Well. Imagine you're from Bulgaria. Your country used to be one of the biggest and most powerful Empires in Europe and has history of conquest and glory. Then the Turks come, you are turned into a slave for 400 years, then you fight for your freedom and regain some of that old glory, economy flourishes, everything is going good. Then WW2 comes and you lose the glory you just gained, you become a satellite state for the Soviet Union, your country goes into a 50 year long degeneration. Now you're in European Union, you're one of the poorest countries there. Life is shit, everyone is poor and desperate. Some European tourists from Western Europe come to drink your cheap booze, bang your females and vomit all over your streets. Then you make conversation with them and find out that for the same job you're doing they make 5 times more money. Then you start thinking about the glory days of the First and Second Bulgarian Empires and realize that your people used to be up in the world too. Then some soft person from a Western country that has never faced hardship comes with a questionnaire and asks whether you feel that your culture is superior to others. What do you think the response will be?

If Romania, Serbia and Bulgaria would be top 5 in GDP in Europe and they were ex-colonizers that have raped and pillaged all over the world, then I think the percentages would be much lower indeed.

·
Premium Member
37,853 Posts
Well. Imagine you're from Bulgaria. Your country used to be one of the biggest and most powerful Empires in Europe and has history of conquest and glory. Then the Turks come, you are turned into a slave for 400 years, then you fight for your freedom and regain some of that old glory, economy flourishes, everything is going good. Then WW2 comes and you lose the glory you just gained, you become a satellite state for the Soviet Union, your country goes into a 50 year long degeneration. Now you're in European Union, you're one of the poorest countries there. Life is shit, everyone is poor and desperate. Some European tourists from Western Europe come to drink your cheap booze, bang your females and vomit all over your streets. Then you make conversation with them and find out that for the same job you're doing they make 5 times more money. Then you start thinking about the glory days of the First and Second Bulgarian Empires and realize that your people used to be up in the world too. Then some soft person from a Western country that has never faced hardship comes with a questionnaire and asks whether you feel that your culture is superior to others. What do you think the response will be?

If Romania, Serbia and Bulgaria would be top 5 in GDP in Europe and they were ex-colonizers that have raped and pillaged all over the world, then I think the percentages would be much lower indeed.
I prefer my sensible post above and avoid the "bang, vomit, rape, pillage" and other gross imagery...

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I prefer my sensible post above and avoid the "bang, vomit, rape, pillage" and other gross imagery...
Yet all those things happen. So what's so insensible about it? I gave examples and possible reasons of why the percentages are higher in certain countries. Not even in a direct reply to what you said. Just for some clarification. "gross imagery" was added for a bit more dramatic effect, exaggeration purposes. Looks like it was too vile for some people. Already one cultural difference between East and West.

·
Premium Member
37,853 Posts
Yet all those things happen. So what's so insensible about it? I gave examples and possible reasons of why the percentages are higher in certain countries. Not even in a direct reply to what you said. Just for some clarification. "gross imagery" was added for a bit more dramatic effect, exaggeration purposes. Looks like it was too vile for some people. Already one cultural difference between East and West.
I think you didn't need to exaggerate to make your point. I get your point, but while you could only mean to serve your purpose with manichean and partial realities, you suggested more to caricature the West as a hardship over the East. I know some people these days like to compare the European Union to the Soviet Union... one can wonder if it's really nuanced. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Swedes have this though :grin2:

Now compare it to something like this....

Or like this kkkk

Yankee's rap got nothing on Brazilian funk.

·
Registered
12,220 Posts
This "survey" is designed in a way to get the exact results that they want. And is stereotypical in its own way. It really falls victim to the same hurdle that the participants in the survey did.

·
Registered
10,387 Posts
true indeed, the only country that has a Quarter in the old town in jerusalem. the old town is divided into 4 Quarters, the muslim, the jewish, the christian and.....the Armenian
Really? I didn‘t know that. Thanks :)

BTW, our president is right now in Israel and is due to speak in the Knesset. Please be nice to him, he is an old and tired man :p

·
Registered
57,319 Posts
Really? I didn‘t know that. Thanks :)

BTW, our president is right now in Israel and is due to speak in the Knesset. Please be nice to him, he is an old and tired man :p

yes really :)

Chad President is Visiting Israel for the first time since 1972, arnt you from Czech Republic?

·
Registered
10,387 Posts
Speaking from what I know (my country which is France), with every government, there are tendencies to change the focus of the history we learn at school (children's school). Some governments try to open historical perspectives to the outside world, some will tend to keep the view from a very French-centric way, as to make the French more patriot or nationalistic.

In the last years some of our presidents (Chirac, Hollande, Macron, made official apologies for human crimes of the past in various wars), and it made cringe a lot of other intellectuals or Historians who grew very proud of their country, with the idea that their country could do no wrong, or that every reason to make those crimes were valuable (and you can imagine the endless arguments in many details of History).
This is the inherent problem of all big and influential countries whose impact has often gone far beyond their borders and France as a former colonial power is a textbook example.

In France, maybe Napoleon embodies this never-ending conflict best - an extremely influential 'self-mademan' with lots of positives and negatives. Some love him, some hate him.

·
Registered
10,387 Posts
yes really :)

Chad President is Visiting Israel for the first time since 1972, arnt you from Czech Republic?
Yes. He should be speaking in the parliament, but his speech reportedly collides with a vote of non-confidence against the current cabinet. Bad timing :lol:

·
Registered
10,387 Posts
You've got it right.
BTW, if I go by the sheer visitor numbers, France is easily one of those countries that can claim ‘our culture is one of the best‘, as it is consistently ranked as the world's most visited country.

Every year, people from the world over vote with their hard earned dollars, pounds or yens that the cultural mix that France offers - cuisine, architecture, historical sights, museums, exhibitions, fashion, opera, shopping, lifestyle, nature - is better than what any other country has to offer and they come for a visit in numbers no other country can match.

41 - 60 of 507 Posts