Tennis Forum banner

481 - 500 of 507 Posts

·
Rise up from ignorance
17,421 Posts
By law, kids that don't speak Polish get 2-5 hours of Polish language classes per week for one year. But at the same time they also attend normal classes with other kids. Polish law also allows a different solution - schools can open a prep-class for kids that don't speak Polish. They go to such class for one year before they start normal education in Polish. I assume that most Ukrainian students don't need that as our languages are similar enough so that they can go to normal class straight away.

The number of kids of immigrants in Polish schools is quickly rising, mostly thanks to Ukrainian immigrants. Last year there were 44 000 immigrant kids in public schools, year before - 30 000, 2 years before - 14 000.

It's kinda hilarious that despite our stupid government's anti-immigrant rhetoric, we receive more migrant workers than anywhere else in the world :lol: First residence permits issued in the EU in 2017:

Poland: 683 228
Germany: 535 446
UK: 517 000
France: 250 175
Spain: 231 153
How many of those 683k come from Ukraine? :p As you know we treat economic immigrants from Ukraine (ex-USSR in general) different than refugees from Muslim countries. Herein lies the so-called Polish xenophobia. We can accept 600k Ukrainians but not 600 Muslims :haha:

·
Registered
10,370 Posts
By law, kids that don't speak Polish get 2-5 hours of Polish language classes per week for one year. But at the same time they also attend normal classes with other kids. Polish law also allows a different solution - schools can open a prep-class for kids that don't speak Polish. They go to such class for one year before they start normal education in Polish. I assume that most Ukrainian students don't need that as our languages are similar enough so that they can go to normal class straight away.

The number of kids of immigrants in Polish schools is quickly rising, mostly thanks to Ukrainian immigrants. Last year there were 44 000 immigrant kids in public schools, year before - 30 000, 2 years before - 14 000.

It's kinda hilarious that despite our stupid government's anti-immigrant rhetoric, we receive more migrant workers than anywhere else in the world :lol: First residence permits issued in the EU in 2017:

Poland: 683 228
Germany: 535 446
UK: 517 000
France: 250 175
Spain: 231 153
Interesting, I checked that EU report and found this:

'Poland was the principal destination for Ukrainian citizens, as 78.5% of all resident permits issued to Ukrainians in the EU-28 in 2018 were issued in this country.'

and

'Some of the factors that may influence the destination chosen by citizens of non-member countries when they decide to seek a residence permit include: linguistic ties […] and geographical proximity (for example, there was a high number of Ukrainians seeking residence in Poland).'

Anyway, when it comes to anti-immigrant rhetoric in Eastern Europe, Ukraine will always be an exception, as every politician in EE sees the country as a source of cheap labour force.

This quote from a spot-on Bloomberg article sums it up nicely:

'Most of the inflow went to Poland which, according to Eurostat, issued 585,439 residence permits to Ukrainians in 2017. Ukrainians were also the biggest group of permit recipients in Hungary, Slovakia, the Czech Republic, Estonia and Lithuania. It’s hard to miss the irony here: These are all countries with anti-immigration governments, which openly fight or quietly boycott the EU’s attempts to redistribute asylum seekers throughout Europe on the grounds that they are too poor to pay for big integration efforts or that the Middle Eastern and African Migrants are too culturally dissimilar from them.'

The population of Ukraine has decreased by about 10 million since 1990 and as long as the dire economic situation persists, more and more will be coming and Poland is a natural destination for them situated right next door.

·
Registered
53,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #487
Damn, I would never thought that things are that bad in Argentina :speakles: Isn't it one of the most developed countries in Latin America?
It is. But also there are many slums (villas miseria) around the biggest cities, mostly Buenos Aires, which are very poor.

·
Registered
10,731 Posts
I wonder, where those figures come from. I am in my mid-40s, have quite a good job (should be among the top 20% incomes here in Germany) and even if I count my apartment into the personal wealth plus all my savings, I am nowhere near the average wealth per capita in Germany. And hardly anybody in my family is.

·
Registered
53,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #489
I wonder, where those figures come from. I am in my mid-40s, have quite a good job (should be among the top 20% incomes here in Germany) and even if I count my apartment into the personal wealth plus all my savings, I am nowhere near the average wealth per capita in Germany. And hardly anybody in my family is.
Your income + apartment + savings are nowhere near 216K??? I guess then "counting my apartment" means what you actually own is a mortgage or you live in a random village in Eastern Germany where appartments must cost like 50K or so...

·
Registered
10,731 Posts
Your income + apartment + savings are nowhere near 216K??? I guess then "counting my apartment" means what you actually own is a mortgage or you live in a random village in Eastern Germany where appartments must cost like 50K or so...
I live in the West in the suburb of a city of 550,000ppl. My apartment might make about 120K currently. Still owing 15K to the bank, so you can neglect that.

But seriously, 200+k as average wealth per capita? No way, José. Germans are a ppl of tenants with only about 1/3 owning their apartments and houses. And we are tax hell. So how on earth is anybody able to make this figure or even far more, cos there are enough ppl who don't even know how to make it to the end of the month and they would bring in a big fat ZERO to this average.

And even if you take to overall wealth of the richest 500 Germans - this would only account for 8,5k per capita if the rest of all Germans earned nothing.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
The map above shows a mean wealth per adult. When you look at median, it offers extremely different results for Europe:

1. Switzerland - 227,891$
2. Iceland - 165,961$
3. Luxembourg - 139,789$
4. Belgium - 117,093$
5. Ireland - 104,842$
6. France - 104,842$
7. UK - 97,452$
8. Spain - 95,360$
9. Austria - 94,070$
10. Italy - 91,889$
11. Malta - 76,016$
12. Norway - 70,627$
13. Denmark - 58,784$
14. Finland - 55,532$
15. Slovenia - 50,380$
16. Portugal - 44,025$
17. Sweden - 41,582$
18. Slovakia - 40,432$
19. Greece - 40,000$
20. Germany - 35,313$
21. Netherlands - 31,057$

The discrepancy between mean and median in Germany (as well as the Netherlands and Sweden) is enormous - I guess it means that Germany's elites are inflating a mean number a lot.

edit: Wealth share of top 1% in Germany is much higher than in the UK, Italy or France. Now it all starts to make sense.

·
Registered
27,322 Posts
The map above shows a mean wealth per adult. When you look at median, it offers extremely different results for Europe:

1. Switzerland - 227,891$
2. Iceland - 165,961$
3. Luxembourg - 139,789$
4. Belgium - 117,093$
5. Ireland - 104,842$
6. France - 104,842$
7. UK - 97,452$
8. Spain - 95,360$
9. Austria - 94,070$
10. Italy - 91,889$
11. Malta - 76,016$
12. Norway - 70,627$
13. Denmark - 58,784$
14. Finland - 55,532$
15. Slovenia - 50,380$
16. Portugal - 44,025$
17. Sweden - 41,582$
18. Slovakia - 40,432$
19. Greece - 40,000$
20. Germany - 35,313$
21. Netherlands - 31,057$

The discrepancy between mean and median in Germany (as well as the Netherlands and Sweden) is enormous - I guess it means that Germany's elites are inflating a mean number a lot.

edit: Wealth share of top 1% in Germany is much higher than in the UK, Italy or France. Now it all starts to make sense.
Huh? I don’t believe Germany’s number. Neither Sweden or Netherlands

·
Registered
53,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #495
As someone stated, Germany is a country with a majority of tenants. When ranking the countries, they consider people's properties and most of Southern Europeans own properties rather than rent so it is not that weird that their "wealth" is actually higher.

·
Registered
27,322 Posts
As someone stated, Germany is a country with a majority of tenants. When ranking the countries, they consider people's properties and most of Southern Europeans own properties rather than rent so it is not that weird that their "wealth" is actually higher.
But then you have to consider the loan/mortgage as part of your Net Patrimony. People in Spain and other countries are paying for about 30 years for that property. So if they add only the value of the active to their wealth without taking account of the passive then it is misinformation.
Ex. If you buy a house for 200.000 and your loan is -175.000 then your Net Patrimony would be 25.000 plus bank savings. Not 200.000+bank savings. That isn’t your real finantial position

Also, I guess people in Germany and other countries that are not used to buy the house, should have much more money saved in Bank. People make a great economic effort to buy a house so their savings in bank should be much less.

In other words, these figures still don’t make sense to me.

·
Registered
53,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #498
But then you have to consider the loan/mortgage as part of your Net Patrimony. People in Spain and other countries are paying for about 30 years for that property. So if they add only the value of the active to their wealth without taking account of the passive then it is misinformation.
Ex. If you buy a house for 200.000 and your loan is -175.000 then your Net Patrimony would be 25.000 plus bank savings. Not 200.000+bank savings. That isn’t your real finantial position

Also, I guess people in Germany and other countries that are not used to buy the house, should have much more money saved in Bank. People make a great economic effort to buy a house so their savings in bank should be much less.

In other words, these figures still don’t make sense to me.
You obviously only take into account people still with a mortgage. There are MANY people, especially older who own a flat, or more (second residences are still very popular). These 30 year mortgage are kinda "recent".

481 - 500 of 507 Posts