Tennis Forum banner

421 - 440 of 507 Posts

·
Registered
37,397 Posts
Everyone was super nice to me in Paris when I went there 7 years ago, I'm still shook. Maybe they saw my resting bitch face and thought "one of ours". :eek:h:

·
Registered
27,322 Posts
I swear I only found people rude or not nice in Paris when travelling. Everywhere else people were mostly nice

·
EXPRESS YOURSELF
7,905 Posts
Everyone was super nice to me in Paris when I went there 7 years ago, I'm still shook. Maybe they saw my resting bitch face and thought "one of ours". :eek:h:
I tried everything to appear Parisian. I didn’t smile for days, I never spoke English, I wore my most sophisticated clothes, I verbally abused gypsy scammers, and they still hated me :tears: I‘m not even American. And I have chronic bitch face.

·
Registered
10,368 Posts
No surprises here, France is historically very centralized with everything important being based in Paris. If you asked a random American or non-French European in the street 'What is the 2nd biggest or populous city in France?', 90% wouldn't know.

Same goes for Austria, and Hungary is often referred to as 'Budapest and a thousand of villages'.

On the other hand, Germany has many relatively big or middle-sized cities :cheer:

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
No surprises here, France is historically very centralized with everything important being based in Paris. If you asked a random American or non-French European in the street 'What is the 2nd biggest or populous city in France?', 90% wouldn't know.

Same goes for Austria, and Hungary is often referred to as 'Budapest and a thousand of villages'.

On the other hand, Germany has many relatively big or middle-sized cities :cheer:
No way 90% of Europeans never heard of Marseille.

·
Registered
10,368 Posts
Here's another interesting one.

Didn't know that the Greeks were so big Germanophiles, maybe they really want to claim those WW2 reparations? :eek:h:

Also, I presume Swedish is a compulsory language in Finland's schools?

Very surprised about the popularity of Spanish in Norge and Sverige, unlike the affinity of Romanians towards French, which makes perfect sense, as does the popularity of Russian in the Baltics.

The data for Austria is wrong :smash:

·
Premium Member
37,355 Posts
Funny, in the 80s (my high school years), German used to be the second most studied language after English, Spanish was third. I had chosen Spanish myself in those times, but was in a minority (say, like 40%). That's because parents wanted their children to stay in the most serious classes, a prejudice of the time related to the "difficult" German and the "easier" Spanish.

I had no idea Spanish had taken over since. I'm not surprised, though. Spanish is more spoken than German in the world.

¿ Habla español usted ? :eek:h:

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Funny, in the 80s (my high school years), German used to be the second most studied language after English, Spanish was third. I had chosen Spanish myself in those times, but was in a minority (say, like 40%). That's because parents wanted their children to stay in the most serious classes, a prejudice of the time related to the "difficult" German and the "easier" Spanish.

I had no idea Spanish had taken over since. I'm not surprised, though. Spanish is more spoken than German in the world.

¿ Habla español usted ? :eek:h:
Eu não sei nada em espanhol :angel:

German and French used to be important languages :grin2:

·
Registered
10,368 Posts
Yes, it is also another official language, 5% of Finns speaks it as their mother-tongue...
Finland was a part of Sweden till 1809, part of Russia 1809-1917 and independent now for 102 years... :angel:
...and a part of the EU since 1995 and dependent ever since :angel:

On a serious note, it's pretty interesting that many of the famous Finland people were native Swedish speakers such as the country's best composer Sibelius, some prime ministers, etc. (A bit similar to Czechia, where quite a few elite people were native German speakers.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish-speaking_population_of_Finland

421 - 440 of 507 Posts