Tennis Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, TOP President
9,327 Posts
if cris fernandez would be found by the police, she would play immediately.

·
9,327 Posts
if cris fernandez would be found by the police, she would play immediately.

·
9,327 Posts
FILIPINA ETA PLAYER BACK

Cris Fernandez has returned yesterday to her family and friends in the ETA tour. she was reported missing last saturday, when after her loss to jelena dokic in the bronx classic, she got up and left and did not return to her hotel room. she showed up on sunday, right before her best friend tammy played martina hingis in the US open final. she was emotionally distraught and did not comment that day. in a press conference on monday morning, she explained her actions and apologised for any trouble created.

comments from cris, "it was incredibly stupid and immature of me and to go and leave like that but i feel so much pressure. i feel i have let a lot of people down. my coach, my coutnry, my best friend and partner tammy. i was so down. i went all around the city and stayed in some hotel, where i think i cried for half a day. i woke up the following day thinking, 'now, this is insane. i need to go back.' i am deepy grateful for all the concern that everyone has shown and i am deepy sorry for the trouble that i have caused. i am okay now and am currently seeing a sports psychologist."

fernandez would play in the brasil ladies open this week.

·
9,327 Posts
CRIS OVERCOMES WOES, SCORES FIRST WIN

cris fernandez, the number 1 filipina player in ETA, has finally overcome her personal woes and insecurities. she scored her first every singles win in qualifying defeating elke clijsters in three tough sets, 7-5 in the third.

comments from cris, "I am so happy after this win. it means so much to me to finally see some improvement in my singles play. my sessions with the sports psychologist are helping and everyone's encouraging words are doing me a world of good. thank you all."

cris fernandez will face patty schnyder in the second round of qualifying.

·
9,327 Posts
FILIPINA PLAYER ADVANCES AGAIN

cris fernandez of the philippines won over the swiss player patty schynder 7-5, 0-6, 6-1 yesterday to reach the third round of qualification in the ETA brasil open 2001. the filipina was coming-off emotional woes recently, feeling the pressures of the ETA tour. the first set was hotly contested as both players displayed almost flawless tennis with fernandez catching the single break. the swiss retaliated by sweeping the 2nd set to love, not letting the filipina get into a groove. in the third set, the filipina showed form as she broke the swiss in her first service game and never looked back.

comments from cris, "im really happy because of the wins, but more importantly, because i am able to handle the pressure better. everything is slowly moving along."

fernandez will next face gabriela sabatini for a spot in the main draw.

·
9,327 Posts
filipina players run halted by asian partner

in one of the most enthralling matches of the day, tamarine tanasugarn finally halted best friend and partner cris fernandez's run in the brasil ladies open with a 1-6, 6-3, 6-4 win. when the players walked up to the net to share compliments, they exchanged warm felt hugs to the standing ovation of the crowd. fernandez won three rounds to reach this stage, with wins over patty schnyder, elke clijsters and gabriela sabatini.

comments from cris, "i am very happy with what i have accomplished this week. last week was a difficult time for me and to bounce back with the tough wins is wonderful. i hope to do much more in singles in the near future."

on playing her best friend on tour:

"it was weird but if i am to lose anyone, i feel that tammy is the one i would prefer to lose to. she was amazing out there. it just goes to show that even if you win a set 6-1, does not mean you have won the match. i hope she goes on to win this tourney."

fernandez and tanasugarn are still in doubles contention.

·
9,327 Posts
message from cris:

"go tammy in singles! i do hope i dont get to play you again because its quite difficult playing your closest friend on tour.

i hope we can finally win a tourney in doubles! go asia!"

·
9,327 Posts
go tammy in singles! go tammy and cris in doubles!

·
9,327 Posts
cris apologises to tammy for her ugly performance in the doubles!

she wishes that tammy may be able to win this tourney!!!!! go tammy!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts