Registered
54,052 Posts

·
Registered
54,052 Posts

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Let's see how they'll play against Ukraine. I mean if they let Anett rest this tie.. It's clear they'll be playing the relegation play-off (most likely) against Denmark.

Though without a 2nd WTA player or an okay doubles player it'll be very hard to stay in that group in the long run:[

·
Registered
54,052 Posts

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Gorlats won the 1st rubber vs DEN! :cheer: Halfway there:)

Interesting Denmark didn't play their top junior Tauson today..

·
Registered
37,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #486
Gorlats won the 1st rubber vs DEN! :cheer: Halfway there:)

Interesting Denmark didn't play their top junior Tauson today..
She is sick in bed apparently, would have been a very close tie if she played I think. Barring injury we should be safe now, Anett comfortably ahead :)

·
Registered
54,052 Posts

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Estonia's team:
Anett Kontaveit
Elena Malygina
Katriin Saar
Saara Orav
Valeria Gorlats
(captain Märten Tamla)

Kaia was ready to play, but apparently she's not a team player (or a committed and interested representing Estonia in a long term..) rolleyes

No dream team.

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Hellas d. Eesti 2-1

Grammatikopoulou d. Malygina 64 46 76(8) :(
Kontaveit d. Papamichail 36 63 60
Papamichail/Grammatikopoulou d. Kontaveit/Malygina 63 46 62 :(

Anett said by the time her match started she felt sleepy (due to arriving from Australia) and lack of energy. Said she even couldn't talk much in the doubles match.

So, to avoid relegation it would be best to beat Austria and hope Greece would beat Austria as well. Presuming Italy won't lose any of the ties of course.

According to captain the team spirit and future are more important than 1) giving a greater chance for the team to win and progress futher in Fed Cup; 2) having a chance for 2 players at the Olympics. :censored:

·
Registered
600 Posts
Oh dear suddenly we're fighting the relegation battle instead of being a shoo-in for promotion.

If it's the former they shouldn't use Anett twice a day. Playing like a zombie for a week will ruin her season!

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Italia d. Eesti 2-1

Cocciaretto d. Malygina 61 61
Kontaveit d. Giorgi 63 46 76(4)
Paolini/Trevisan d. Saar/Gorlats 63 62

Anett had some trouble with her back and sat out the doubles to be ready for Austria.

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Estonia d. Austria 2-1

Malygina d. Klaffner 76(5) 62
Kontaveit d. Grabher 61 62
Klaffner/Kraus d. Gorlats/Orav 62 46 60

With this win Estonia went to the promotional play-off though there was a tie with Greece and Austria.

Ukraine d. Estonia 2-1
Yastremska d. Malygina 63 61
Kontaveit d. Svitolina 63 67(5) 62
Yastremska/Kostyuk d. Kontaveit/Malygina 62 60

Another year survived in the zonal group. With this team couldn't ask for more. Anett really carried the team.

·
Registered
37,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #495
I think this week was quite encouraging. Anett obviously played well when it mattered getting those two close wins but I was really impressed with Malygina. She hits the ball big enough to be within the Top 200, she just needs to work on her consistency and her serve. I would also like to see her using her variety more as she actually has quite a complete game. If she can improve the mental side and improve these aspects I think she can move up into the Top 300 this year which would be great! She really should have won against Grammatikopoulou who is around that mark. I would have liked to have seen more of Saar, maybe against Italy or Ukraine, but she was will probably get more chances.

I think we would have beaten all the teams if Kaia played, maybe not Ukraine but then we would have played Croatia instead which would have been very manageable. Disgraceful from ETL, such a shame it has come to this point.

481 - 495 of 495 Posts