Tennis Forum banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
Oh yes, we do! It's a program on an international license (from Fremantle company I think). It's quite popular here as well. Well, I mean what can we do... people are seeking 'cheap' entertainment and TV providers are giving them what they want in quest for survival on the declining TV market...
Its the last ten years to most popular tv program here. With every week 4 million viewers. Also whole Holland Backed gets more then 3 million viewers so that’s more then tennis watchers in US 😊 so I don’t understand what is spectacular about this viewers because its not at all.

·
Registered
29,693 Posts
Remember when some posters on here said that a Emma-Leylah final would be disaster for WTA :ROFLMAO:
This.
This 2000-2003 generation will take over WTA and it will be good, certainly a massive improvement.
We saw this coming as there was already lot of hype and articles about Emma and Leylah. Despite being unseeded and “random”, crowd and general public was more excited with them than they would be with the likes of Pliskova, Sabalenka or Svitolina and it showed.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I hardly watch tv but I watched: "100 dingen" aka 100 things about famous rich people who needed to survive with 100 items. It reminded me again why I hardly watch tv.

·
Registered
8,928 Posts
Yeah, you can't really compare free to air to those behind a paywall, and that's why I'm so pleased that Amazon and C4 struck that deal to give it the exposure and ratings that it deserved over here.

The C4 match average views in the UK was 7.4m, and the peak of 9.2m came at 11.10pm, in and around match point. Amazon pretty much never release their numbers, but I'd be interested to see how many they did - my brother, who never watches tennis, says he watched on Am Prime, presumably because he thought there would have been adverts / commercials on C4 (but it turned out to be the exact same coverage on both sides, with only the very rarer, brief Amazon advertisement), and some may well have wanted to remain loyal to Amazon (something I did see a bit on Twitter). I, like many others, watched on C4 as I wanted it to do big numbers as I think it's so important that such big sporting occasions are available to as many people as possible.

Hopefully going forward, if Emma fully establishes as a legit slam contender, they strike similar FTA deals to have her bigger matches available to the masses.

But good to see it do strong numbers in the US, certainly in relative terms.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I’m curious - how “big a thing” is the US Open in the States? Speaking to US colleagues they say it’s not really a mainstream thing at all - whereas in England, Wimbledon is very well broadcasted and covered and most people on the street would know who was in the final etc
Tennis is not big at all. Very very niche sport and niche fans. If you walked around the street and asked people today who was in the mens or womens US Open this year most would have no clue. They would probably say Serena and Federer. Lol!

Maybe these teenagers consistently doing well could generate more interest, but it would have to be a dynamic American teen winning slams to really gain any real interest in the U.S.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117,164 Posts
it did well 2.4M out of 320M is over half of a percent of the whole audience
Thats very good for tennis in the US
Mens final had much tougher competition, 2 NFL games, really 4 games on 2 big tv networks that got almost 36 million, and those are sports fans
So that had to hurt the mens ratings

·
Registered
15,416 Posts
I'm not surprised. A lot of people don't have cable in the US and, of course, no US women in the final. I believe anyone in the UK could have watched the match on television.
55% of Americans have streaming service and I would guess many of those have ditched cable. I have both but I'm probably the exception. USO was shown on ESPN on cable but ESPN is also streamed on sites live Hulu, Sling, Fubo, etc. I think the decrease in viewership from the early 2000's to today is because tennis has become a niche sport and there isn't as much interest, sadly. Even Serena and Venus, while they were winning slams couldn't keep viewership up over the years.

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
It will be interesting to see if Emma can re-ignite tennis interest in China, I can see her being in demand to play there, do adverts and personal appearances if/when the Chinese tournaments reappear, I think the Chinese TV viewers may want to see her more too.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
If there´s no American in the final, it will obviously only be watched by tennis hardcore fans in the USA but the worldwide audience is what counts I guess and I think here is where tennis might be a notch above other American sports like american football or american banquet that are internationally less popular

·
Registered
436 Posts
That would be great but I am not too optimistic tbh..I am not even sure whether Tennis Channel is even available on all the platforms these days...like I remember reading about it not being available for Sling users...for someone like me who doesn't have cable, it's really hard to follow tour level matches legally in US..wish we had a simple streaming option in US that will let you watch any WTA/ATP tour level match.
I have ESPN plus and it was often easier to watch the matches on illegal streams than their service for the USO. This is a problem.

·
Registered
82 Posts
2.4M is not a terrible number for cable, though not a huge one (your typical episode of the Real Housewives of Atlanta gets roughly the same rating on cable, and higher in the coveted 18-49 demo...but it IS one of the top shows on cable). Streaming also plays a factor here (I watched the final on ESPN via Sling), but that impacts every show I would think.

That said, being the highest non-Serena final since 2015 is a nice accomplishment. But you can only milk the "teen showdown" headline once. For tennis to have momentum here Gauff (or some other young American) needs to win big, Osaka needs to return, and Raducanu/Fernandez have to stay consistent. With some star rivalries we could re-enter the golden period from the late 90s/early 00s.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
In US, there is big gap between football and other sports when it comes to ratings tbh.....NHL for example is considered as one of the 4 major sports in US and NHL finals averaged something like 3.5M viewers this year...NBA & MLB finals averaged something like 8-9M viewers..in comparison, SuperBowl had like 100M viewers and a NFL playoff game typically has like 20M-30M viewers...football(NFL & also College football) is just huge in US. March Madness (College basketball) is probably only other event which draws in very high tv ratings

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
TV ratings are calcuted by how many TVs are tuned into the match not the overall population. As some have already pointed out compared to other sports in the US this is quite a good number. Women’s tournament drew more interest and crated two new stars.This is what you want to accomplish in an event. So overall a very good week for women’s tennis.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
feel like you are not aware of how big football (NFL & college football) is in US when compared to other sports...comparing any sport in US with NFL & College Football is just waste of time..its like saying 99% Americans don't watch Hockey (which is considered as one of the 4 major sports in US) because it averaged just around 3.5M viewers in finals this year or like saying 97% Americans don't watch NBA or Baseball (MLB) as they both averaged around 8-9M viewers in the finals.

NFL is king of TV on Thursday nights, Sundays and Monday nights whereas College football is the king of TV on Saturdays

·
Registered
117,164 Posts
Right. My point is that going against 2 major networks both showing NFL probably hurt tv ratings in US and amount of attention the match could have gotten
I know NFL is popular, its why scheduling against it takes some casual fans away

·
Registered
437 Posts
I had TC Plus in the past but the problem I had with TC Plus is that it still doesn't show all the matches...some times, some later stage matches are just not available to watch.
/\ This.

I've had some luck searching players in order to find recently completed matches from current tournaments. Sometimes a live match won't be on TCP until two business days later. TCP needs to do a better job of utilizing our pricey subscription to inform viewers why certain matches aren't on TCP.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts