Tennis Forum banner
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
16,909 Posts

Per this article the women’s final avg rating was 2.44 million while men’s final was 2.05 million. Peak audience for men was 2.7 million. Overall ratings were up for 2021 US Open compared to 2020. College football on Saturday and NFL on Sunday both had to deal with competition so please no arguments about how Sundays ratings were effected.
Remember when some posters on here said that a Emma-Leylah final would be disaster for WTA :ROFLMAO:
It would be a disaster for WTA if they cannot back their results. The only one that's been consistent the past year is Barty and she is not a draw. If either Raducanu or Fernandez can become a new force maybe they will draw the attention back to WTA. At this moment, it's still to be seen.

Slam ratings at the US is typically higher for women these days cause there are no top USA representatives in the men's that would be a threat for the title while there is still the has been Williams or even the likes of Kenin and Stephens for women. Without Federer or Nadal men's singles is typically not of interest. Djokovic is also not a major draw.

Also, I am unsure how this rating could translate to WTA if WTA cannot even show case most of their matches on TV or even on live streams. The events in the US and Canada are especially the worse when most earlier round matches (not just qualifying matches) are not shown. No one wants to sign contracts with WTA. They could hardly get a stable platform for their matches.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Apparently few people here understand how ratings work. 2,44m viewership means that less than 0,8% of Americans watched the final. So I wouldn’t get too excited about the growth etc. You need to compare it to other sports events like Super Bowl or NBA Finals to get the clear picture. As long as it stays on ESPN it will always get the niche coverage.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm not surprised. A lot of people don't have cable in the US and, of course, no US women in the final. I believe anyone in the UK could have watched the match on television.
I’m curious - how “big a thing” is the US Open in the States? Speaking to US colleagues they say it’s not really a mainstream thing at all - whereas in England, Wimbledon is very well broadcasted and covered and most people on the street would know who was in the final etc

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
So in one of the biggest countries in the world only 3 million people are watching tennis 😳
That is shocking!!
How many Americans are watching every week football or basketball?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Apparently few people here understand how ratings work. 2,44m viewership means that less than 0,8% of Americans watched the final. So I wouldn’t get too excited about the growth etc. You need to compare it to other sports events like Super Bowl or NBA Finals to get the clear picture. As long as it stays on ESPN it will always get the niche coverage.
This says all how low the tennis interests is in America. Its worse then I thought.
Even the overhyped final gets not more then 4 million viewers. That’s nothing in such a big country.
In Nl where we have 17 million people; the every year final of The Voice of Holland or Farmer search Wife gets more viewers then this!
Its embarrassing 😳

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
This says all how low the tennis interests is in America. Its worse then I thought.
Even the overhyped final gets not more then 4 million viewers. That’s nothing in such a big country.
In Nl where we have 17 million people; the every year final of The Voice of Holland or Farmer search Wife gets more viewers then this!
Its embarrassing 😳
If "boer zoekt vrouw" was also on american tv probably more americans would watch it too then they watch tennis.
Even when I never did myself :p

·
Registered
15,329 Posts
One problem though, same old , same old... Raducanu HAS to keep winning from here on. ATP might have less charisma BUT their big guys keep winning week in, week out. WTA can't rely on their marketing stars to win back-to-back tournaments these days save for maybe Barty who has no real charisma to speak of.
This is the point (y)

Womens tennis has the POTENTIAL to be incredible in the next few years, but we need consistency.

In the glory days of 1999-2005ish, lets say, the top stars were committed throughout the year, didn't just turn up for slams, and had actual ongoing rivalries which were high quality. Tennis came first, and it was an embarrasment of riches.

We need young stars to back up big results, and to play relatively full schedules. So many recent winners have been patchy at best.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Technically it's percentage of people watching a programme that were watching TV at the time. It also doesn't take into account DVR usage.

It's also worth bearing in mind that ratings and viewership for everything is in decline especially on cable as more and more people are metaphorically cutting the cord.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
If "boer zoekt vrouw" was also on american tv probably more americans would watch it too then they watch tennis.
Even when I never did myself :p
You would love Boer zoekt Vrouw its full with Bible Belt farmers 🤣

But the conclusion is that tennis ratings in Amerika are shocking bad. I’m sure there are more people watching the commercials or the weather then tennis 😳

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
Obviously the US Open got higher ratings in the U..S. when it was on CBS, and especially when CBS had the NFL and US Open rights. Also for years the lead NFL announcer Pat Summeral also announced the US Open final

·
Registered
20,031 Posts
I’m curious - how “big a thing” is the US Open in the States? Speaking to US colleagues they say it’s not really a mainstream thing at all - whereas in England, Wimbledon is very well broadcasted and covered and most people on the street would know who was in the final etc
In the US, it is just another event and nothing more . Tennis is a niche sport In the US

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Technically it's percentage of people watching a programme that were watching TV at the time. It also doesn't take into account DVR usage.

It's also worth bearing in mind that ratings and viewership for everything is in decline especially on cable as more and more people are metaphorically cutting the cord.
Depends how you define it but above I calculated the percentage in relation to the US population of c.a. 330m people. If you calculate it in relation to people viewing TV at the time that would be share of viewing. DVR usage is usually a small number so it’s really negligable.

But as you said and here I totally agree: obviously the viewership (cable and terrestrial) is in constant decline since at least 20-25 years with people switching to online viewing.

It’s also interesting to compare the US to the UK numbers. In the UK c.a. 9mln people on average viewed the women’s final (for obvious reasons) and that consititutes almost 15% viewership. That one is really HUGE in present times.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Its embarrassing 😳
Farmer search Wife LMAO. 😂

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
these numbers needs to be put in 2021 context

its not like 2001 when television was the only entertainment and visual communication medium

the TV ratings of 2000's will never be achieved again

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
From 300.000 millions of Americans? Only 1%, that seems strange.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
To be fair, In the UK it was shown on broadcast vs cable in the US. It was also 9 million peak not 9 million average.
True. Peak vs average is usually a 20-30% difference. And of course average is a more 'fair' number cause it represents more the people who viewed it for the majority of time not just switched in for a couple of minutes.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Farmer search Wife LMAO. 😂
Do you have that program also in Poland? Its really popular here and every week more then 4 million Nlders are watching. That’s way more then Americans who are watching tennis and US is a million times bigger then we are 😊

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Do you have that program also in Poland? Its really popular here and every week more then 4 million Nlders are watching. That’s way more then Americans who are watching tennis and US is a million times bigger then we are 😊
Oh yes, we do! It's a program on an international license (from Fremantle company I think). It's quite popular here as well. Well, I mean what can we do... people are seeking 'cheap' entertainment and TV providers are giving them what they want in quest for survival on the declining TV market...

Reactions: ChrisR
21 - 40 of 80 Posts