Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Per this article the women’s final avg rating was 2.44 million while men’s final was 2.05 million. Peak audience for men was 2.7 million. Overall ratings were up for 2021 US Open compared to 2020. College football on Saturday and NFL on Sunday both had to deal with competition so please no arguments about how Sundays ratings were effected.

·
Registered
15,420 Posts
US Open Tennis Viewership Statistics
The US Open Championships attract one of the largest audiences in the world, both in stadiums like the Arthur Ashe Stadium in New York City and on television. Every year, ESPN releases average audience viewership numbers recorded throughout the duration of the event, as well as audience numbers recorded just on finals day. Here are some of the most interesting tennis viewership statistics relating to the US Open Championships:
  • The 2015 US Open Men’s Singles Final between Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer attracted 3.32 million viewers to ESPN’s live coverage of the event.
  • The 2019 US Open Women’s Singles Final which saw Canadian teenager Bianca Andreescu defeat Serena Williams recorded an average audience of 3.22 million viewers on ESPN.
  • Serena Williams controversial defeat to Naomi Osaka in the 2018 US Open Women’s Singles Final attracted 50% more viewers than the Men’s Final the following day. The Women’s match recorded an average of 3.1 million viewers, while the men’s match between Novak Djokovic and local favourite Juan Martin del Potro attracted 2.07 million viewers.
  • average audience of 3.1 million viewers. That’s 50% more than the 2.07 million viewers recorded during the Men’s final the following day between Novak Djokovic and local favourite Juan Martin del Potro.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
women's tennis has already survived the horrible last few years and now with Raducanu can go on an upward trend. No one is excited about the useless ATP next gen with no charisma. Djokovic was going for the CYGS and still these were the ratings.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
We are mostly likely heading back into a period where the women gain more interest than the men. This was pretty much the case in/around the early 2000s with Venus, Serena, Martina, Anna K, Capriati, Henin, Davenport and Seles playing , while the men where stuck in a transition period before Roger and Nadal emerged.

·
Registered
15,420 Posts
  • Saturday’s women’s final between teenagers Emma Raducanu and Leylah Fernandez – the first Major final, male or female, with two unseeded players in the Open Era (since 1968) – averaged 2.44 million viewers. That represents an increase of 37% over last year (Victoria Azarenka vs. Naomi Osaka).
  • The match peaked at 3.4 million viewers at 6-6:15 p.m. ET, ESPN’s highest peak of the tournament.
  • It is the most-watched women’s final of the seven ESPN has televised since acquiring US Open exclusivity in 2015 that did not include Serena Williams (2018, 2019).

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
I wonder if Tennis Channel will see an increase in subscriptions. I don’t think ESPN shows Indian Wells anymore.
That would be great but I am not too optimistic tbh..I am not even sure whether Tennis Channel is even available on all the platforms these days...like I remember reading about it not being available for Sling users...for someone like me who doesn't have cable, it's really hard to follow tour level matches legally in US..wish we had a simple streaming option in US that will let you watch any WTA/ATP tour level match.

·
Registered
279 Posts
That would be great but I am not too optimistic tbh..I am not even sure whether Tennis Channel is even available on all the platforms these days...like I remember reading about it not being available for Sling users...for someone like me who doesn't have cable, it's really hard to follow tour level matches legally in US..wish we had a simple streaming option in US that will let you watch any WTA/ATP tour level match.
I think TC is off YoutubeTV now as well… have you looked into TC Plus? That’s what I use for everything apart from US Open, Wimby & Aus.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
I think TC is off YoutubeTV now as well… have you looked into TC Plus? That’s what I use for everything apart from US Open, Wimby & Aus.
I had TC Plus in the past but the problem I had with TC Plus is that it still doesn't show all the matches...some times, some later stage matches are just not available to watch.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I had TC Plus in the past but the problem I had with TC Plus is that it still doesn't show all the matches...some times, some later stage matches are just not available to watch.
I’ve had it for a year as it’s the only way to watch RG now. It shows every WTA tournament/match. Sometimes they’ll put the finals on the main TC broadcast & not TC plus but I haven’t noticed that much lately.

As for ATP, they show most tournaments now. The 1000s/500s are without commentary though (no clue why). It’s not bad though and it’s better than having to pay $15/month for TennisTV in addition to TC Plus.

·
Rise up from ignorance
20,086 Posts
women's tennis has already survived the horrible last few years and now with Raducanu can go on an upward trend. No one is excited about the useless ATP next gen with no charisma. Djokovic was going for the CYGS and still these were the ratings.
One problem though, same old , same old... Raducanu HAS to keep winning from here on. ATP might have less charisma BUT their big guys keep winning week in, week out. WTA can't rely on their marketing stars to win back-to-back tournaments these days save for maybe Barty who has no real charisma to speak of.

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
average audience of 3.1 million viewers. That’s 50% more than the 2.07 million viewers recorded during the Men’s final the following day between Novak Djokovic and local favourite Juan Martin del Potro.
Juan Martin del Potro is from Argentina, Argentina and the USA are different countries so how on earth is he local?

Reactions: Javi

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
8,015 Posts
Juan Martin del Potro is from Argentina, Argentina and the USA are different countries so how on earth is he local?
He is a favorite of locals, not a local who is favorited. :p

1 - 20 of 80 Posts