Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed that ESPN/STAR ASIA has
dropped their coverage of WTA matches
this year.

Why did they do this??

Anyway, I'm getting a few events here
and there on SUPER SPORTS Singapore.
The next tennis event I will see is in
March- Delayed coverage of Indian Wells.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
Supersports and Starsports take turns to cover events so they don't cover the same tournaments. It is a waste of money if they do that.

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm kind of worried.

Yeah! I'm excited and I'll be watching
the World Cup K/J ;but what about
tennis during the summer? Will
ESPN/STAR Asia show WTA events
prior to Wimbledon??

I don't really think they switch back and
forth on coverage at ESPN/STAR and
SUPER SPORTS because we're getting
the ATP ABN tournament this week.

And why do did they show ATP
matches just on a 24 hour delay while
WTA matches are like a month old on
ESPN/STAR last year??

·
20,610 Posts
I dunno why there is such a long delay. But I've written in to complain about that and all I get is a stupid automated response... so that's not helpful at all. :mad:

And I think most major events are covered by the 2 channels combined. It was last year... and so far it has been the case this year :)

Sydney, Aus Open, Tokyo so far. Not sure if they are showing Paris, Nice and Dubai though. But Indian Wells will be shown on Supersports for sure :) Indian Wells for men will be shown on Starsports with live coverage though.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
There's definitely a drop in the coverage of both ATP & WTA tournaments this yr compared to the last.
I remembered watching Milan and Marseille last yr on supersports but they seem to disappear this yr. :(

I also do not think that both the channels take turn to show the tournaments. ESPN/Star tends to cover mostly the Masters and American tournaments while Supersports cover the ATP international series in Europe and WTA events.

Damn, March's listing consists of mostly ATP tournaments except for WTA indian wells! :mad:

·
Registered
16,569 Posts
yeah, starasia's coverage has really lessened. they have only like 1 wta tournament a month. but luckily they are still covering wimby and us open. i don' really like supersports because of its boring commentators.
you realised there weren't any live davis cup matches this year, not like last year.

·
Banned
1,870 Posts
oh they really do....

im worried about wimbledon. we get them on starsports....if they don't show them....there's gonna be dead bodies over at their offices :p and they also cover the US open...so lots more dead bodies if they don't do something about it :rolleyes:

·
20,610 Posts
I wonder why the coverage is getting worse... :rolleyes:

I must write more complains... :)

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
I'm pretty contented that Super Sports was covering the AO cos they seem to favour my fave Monica. For the first time in my life, I managed to watch every single one of Monica's matches LIVE in the AO!!
Conversely, Star Sports commentator Vijay keeps poking fun at Monica during Wimbledon two years back and deriding her for being old... I hope Super sports continues winning the rights to telecast Grand slams this year... their commentators seem to be more fair and unpartial
:bounce:

·
20,610 Posts
AO and FO have always been telecast by Supersports... Wimbledon and US Open by Starsports... so I guess it'll be the same this year :)

I tend to prefer the Starsports coverage though, they have interviews and interesting little recaps and more replays and everything and they also show more interesting tidbits :)

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let's protest!

Someone post the e-mail address
to Espn/Star and Super Sports so we
can voice or love of tennis.

I prefer the Super Sports coverage when
it's not a tape from British EuroSport.

What's with STAR's Wimbledon and USO
coverage showing so much Hewitt, Sampras
and Tim Henman? Vijay and that other guy
who's an cricket player are so un-informed
and biased; I cringe. What was it that
VJ said during one women's match..

"Oh...I don't know anything about this
girl; but she won't win over Williams anyway"

ROTF! What sort of commentary was that??

The Roland Garros presentation is better than
the pro-Aussie feed with Fred Stolle
during the Australian Open.

·
Registered
16,569 Posts
fred stolle is good but other commentators speak with scuh low voices i tend to fall asleep. btu i liked this year's AO coverage. i got every single kim match live.
i don't like vijay because i think he loves tim henman and that bores me. but starsports has more snippets whcih supersports does not have

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I too much prefer Supersport's coverage than ESPN star. Supersports tend to be more fair and wide in their coverage. They do not tend to just cover the main and show courts if time and schedule permits they will show the lesser courts too. Whereelse can I watch that 5 set match between Wayne & Lujbijic? :)
The US Open coverage last yr really sucks, everyday for 2 weeks I kept watching the same players every rd in and out the 1st week was the worst, watching all the routing by the same few WTA players, come on, it's a Slam, there are other good players to watch too.

I agree too that the Supersports commentators are more technically-insightful than Vijay & co. the way they dissected Eleni Daniliidou's game in this yr's AO when she played Jennifer was great and spot-on. I guess Vijay is more interested in gossips than in their game. :p

Yeah, William_Rulez, where you send your complaint to? Let's join hands. :)

·
20,610 Posts

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok.

Sent my e-mail to the PR dept. at Espn/Star and
gave them something to consider. LOL.

Greeny

·
20,610 Posts
I sent it to 3 departments:

Public Relations
Programme Aquisition
Production

I think we should consider sending even more complains... they seem pretty deaf! :fiery:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts