Tennis Forum banner
61 - 64 of 64 Posts
Sunitha main draw! :) woohoo! Good luck!

basset said:
another WC for ruano-p.?? what an injustice...
There is nothing just or injust about WC's. They are given by the tournament at their own discretion to players they want to play. If they want Vivi to go to India and partner Sania in doubles, there is nothing unfair about them giving her a wild card into the singles to help her out. Aside from that, Vivi is world doubles #1, a multiple doubles GS champion, former singles GS quarter finalist and a former top 30 player, capable of winning matches, who has had a bad season. What's wrong with her getting a few WC's to help her get her ranking back up?

Reactions: Fran16
Caz said:
There is nothing just or injust about WC's. They are given by the tournament at their own discretion to players they want to play. If they want Vivi to go to India and partner Sania in doubles, there is nothing unfair about them giving her a wild card into the singles to help her out. Aside from that, Vivi is world doubles #1, a multiple doubles GS champion, former singles GS quarter finalist and a former top 30 player, capable of winning matches, who has had a bad season. What's wrong with her getting a few WC's to help her get her ranking back up?
she has got a WC in Bali too this week. her time as a singles player is nearly over. they should support younger players by giving them WC's.
her doubles grand slams don't count for me at all in that case.

basset said:
she has got a WC in Bali too this week. her time as a singles player is nearly over. they should support younger players by giving them WC's.
her doubles grand slams don't count for me at all in that case.
Yeah, I do tend to agree, in general, and if I were organising the tournament I would give preference to younger players if they could show they had the potential to do well, but that's up to the tournament. I was just making the point that there is no fair and unfair in this matter, it it entirely up to who the tournament wants to play. You think all the British players Wimbledon gives WC's to every year are getting WC's cos they're young or stand a chance of doing well at the tournament?!? No, it's because they're British and Wimbledon wants to give them a chance, even though it's very rare they'll so much as win a set in the tournament. That's far more of a 'waste' of WC's than giving one to a player who could win matches in the tournament and who has at least done something with her career.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.